[SOLVED] Need advice about trackballs

Shahmatt

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
A long time ago in the 90s I used a Microsoft trackball on my dad's computer. It was device on a stand with the trackball placed on top and the mouse buttons placed horizontally. I remember playing games with it and enjoying it quite a bit.

Fast forward to today and I feel that I'd like to give trackballs a go once again.

I recently bought the Elecom Deft Pro and whilst it had excellent build quality I returned it because I had two problems with it. The first was that it sort of propped my wrist a bit too high at a somewhat awkward angle. The second was that the ball was difficult to use for fine movements. I use spreadsheets a lot and to select the edges of cells was tough. I later read in other forums that the ruby bearings of recent Elecoms weren't so great and replacements ceramic bearings were advised, but I wasn't prepared to do surgery on a brand new mouse.

So here I am looking around once again.

Can good accurate positioning be got with trackballs at all?
If so, which type is better, Thumb or Finger? Or is it just simply a matter of time and practice that accuracy can be improved?

Solution
The two problems you experienced could be related.

If your wrist was not comfortable or otherwise not favorably positioned then fine movements would be/could be impeded.

Time and practice will likely help but only so far. And could, over time, cause more physical discomfort if wrist, thumb, and fingers are not ergonomically aligned.

Consider some wrist support or other ergonomic arrangement to make using the trackball (any trackball) more comfortable.

When I used trackballs, finger (index) was far more comfortable. Have not used a trackball for many years.

Proved far easier to ergonomically manage a mouse and/or keyboard as warranted.

Ralston18

Titan

If your wrist was not comfortable or otherwise not favorably positioned then fine movements would be/could be impeded.

Time and practice will likely help but only so far. And could, over time, cause more physical discomfort if wrist, thumb, and fingers are not ergonomically aligned.

Consider some wrist support or other ergonomic arrangement to make using the trackball (any trackball) more comfortable.

When I used trackballs, finger (index) was far more comfortable. Have not used a trackball for many years.

Proved far easier to ergonomically manage a mouse and/or keyboard as warranted.

Solution

Shahmatt

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011

Thanks for this. I had not thought of wrist posture affecting finger accuracy. I will consider getting a wrist support to help the situation.

I like the Logitech ones but have not used one in many years. My favorite was the one with the thumbs but that really depends on personal preference and how you hold your hand.

Of late I have been wary of Logitec products for they do not seem to last me more than a year before something goes wrong. My current mouse, a Logitec G300s, is causing problems because the scroll wheel button refuses to work unless I press it down hard. It's less than a year old so I would have hoped for greater longevity.

Thanks for this. I had not thought of wrist posture affecting finger accuracy. I will consider getting a wrist support to help the situation.

Of late I have been wary of Logitec products for they do not seem to last me more than a year before something goes wrong. My current mouse, a Logitec G300s, is causing problems because the scroll wheel button refuses to work unless I press it down hard. It's less than a year old so I would have hoped for greater longevity.

Never had more issues with Logitech than any other mice, or products they make in general. I have a ton of their mice and keyboards at home and at work. The mouse I'm using now is an M705 that is probably over 3 years old by now.

Shahmatt

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Never had more issues with Logitech than any other mice, or products they make in general. I have a ton of their mice and keyboards at home and at work. The mouse I'm using now is an M705 that is probably over 3 years old by now.

3 years is a good long time. Unfortunately never have my Logitech's lasted that long.

I sometimes wonder if there are quality difference between the Western and Eastern markets. I am in Singapore. Perhaps we don't get the best stuff.