Need advice: Buying 75W graphics card in 2019

Jan 11, 2019
Just started some light gaming again after a few year's break using the integrated Intel Iris graphics (not quite optimal I know). Now looking to buy a small graphics card to play games like Rise of the Tomb Raider or GTA V at 1080p mid settings (>30 fps should do it). My system doesn't allow me to use additional 6 pin power so I'll need to settle with 75W models.

Currently speaking, GTX 1050 Ti seems to be the best option, however with RTX 2060 just announced at CES and Navi probably coming around at some point this year, don't know if now is the best timing to buy a 1050 Ti (which is already a few years old being released in 2016). Point is, I wonder whether I can expect new entry / mid level Geforce and Radeon to be released in the next few months.

My questions is, should I buy the GTX 1050 Ti right now, or is it worth to wait a few months.

(By the way, here where I live, the 1050 Ti costs around $190 US, almost same as the price at release as far as I can see.)

Any wise suggestion is much appreciated.

Country?

I'd wait. I haven't seen anything that has disproved the assumption that Navi will come in Q2 (not sure which/all models), so the RX3060 would be a good step up. The RTX2060 isn't a 75W card.

Have you considered just upgrading your power supply?

Oct 28, 2017
$190?

That's insanely high!

You can grab a used GTX1060 3GB for ~$120-150 and spend the remaining cash on a 450W PSU! And did I mention how The GTX1060 can blow the 1050s to smithereens?

And if you can't find one for that cheap in your country (Just like me); then you can always import them from AliExpress. Currently; a very reputed seller on AE (97% rating) has chunks of used (Albeit in near mint condition) 3GB GTX1060s (Asus Strix x2) in his inventory (8000+ units), each costing $145 with free shipping worldwide. And he also has GTX950s ($65) and GTX960s ($85) as well. Here I should mention that there's minimal performance difference (~5%) between 950s and 1050s.

Just remember that you'll have to pay custom duties (Anywhere from 5% to 20%, depending on your import laws) but of course there are some workaround which I'm not going to discuss because they are illegal and immoral.

Hope it helps.

Jan 11, 2019

I live in Japan. The prices on imported goods are strongly dependent on the currency exchange rate, which hasn't been favorable lately.

Speaking of upgrading the PSU though, it's not an option for me since I have no space for a desktop PC with all that periphery and so on (ever seen Tokyo apartments?). Instead, I'm opting for a small and light eGPU box without built-in PSU (obviously for space reason) that connects with my laptop (Core i7 6560U, 8GB RAM) via Thunderbolt 3. Something like the Akitio Node Light should do the job. Hence the 75W limit.

So I guess waiting might be worth it?

Jan 11, 2019

For the games that I have mentioned, you're absolutely right. However the real issue is not whether I can play these specific games or not, I'm sure that a 1050 will absolutely do the job. It's about the best value for my money I'm about to spend, since I want crank the settings as high as possible, or play newer and more demanding games - with a 75W card.

See, if I buy a 1050 / Ti right now at this high price point and in one or two months a new generation, say 2050, gets released at the same price, I'd be quite upset. That's why I'm asking whether to buy now or not: it's about opinions from the community whether it's realistic to expect new 75W class GPUs from Nvidia or AMD in the near future.

Jan 11, 2019

Well observed. I'm aware of this so I'm planning to replace the external PSU with another 72W one (will be able to handle 75W peak power). There is a nice video on YT showing this exact application, albeit with an Akitio Thunder3 (which is the predecessor to the Node Lite).

cbrocks06

Proper
Dec 27, 2018

go with evga.. they have a step up program where you can upgrade your card within 3 months of purchasing it, BUT not sure if they do that in your country?

Jan 11, 2019

Never heard of such a program before, seems really great... except that it's limited to USA, Canada, and EU.