[SOLVED] Need Advice choosing a X570 MB and RAM kit. <3

iSaint

Honorable
Feb 26, 2015
Greetings fellow PC enthusiast. My brother asked me to help him with picking some parts for his gaming rig.

It's not a a build from scratch, although he wants to upgrade the most important components.

I have been out of the PC market loop for a while so I seek your advice/opinions with the parts I picked. I'm most conflicted with picking the MB, since I am not familiar with the new X570 chip line.

MotherBoard options (Around USD170 budget):

ASRock X570 PHANTOM GAMING 4

ASRock X570 PRO4

MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI

GIGABYTE X570 GAMING X

RAM kit options (USD90-100 budget):

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2933

CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 DRAM DDR4 3000

G.SKILL Trident Z RGB (For AMD) 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600

CPU: Ryzen 3700x (Definite purchase).

GPU: GTX1060 (Already Owned).

I would like the MB to have good build quality with decent VRMs and heatsinks.

It needs to be just capable enough for a mid-range build, ie. no need for unnecessary tech that will never be touched. My bro doesn't care for built in WIFI for example. Function > Bizzaz.

THANX YALL!

Solution
With ryzen motherboards, if your shopping below $200 i would typically recommend a x470, just be careful because it might need a bios update if you're using a ryzen 3000 cpu.

and with memory, ryzen does much better with faster memory kits. just make sure its compatible with the motherboard you choose, you should be able to find this out on the manufacturer's website (just copy paste the product number in google)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($199.00 @ B&H)

Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Best Buy)

Best 2 X570 mobo's under $300. Asrock comes in above average, Msi bombs. It's not until you really get expensive that the lines blur, and then it's more about the gimmicks and bells/whistles. Worth the $10-$20 over budget.

Gskill for ram, has the edge over Corsair, unless the Gskill is the high Cas version (CL19), in which case the Corsair RGB at CL16 3000 would be the better option. Unless that'll interfere with the cpu cooler, which puts the Corsair LPX at the top of the list.

Apr 18, 2019
With ryzen motherboards, if your shopping below $200 i would typically recommend a x470, just be careful because it might need a bios update if you're using a ryzen 3000 cpu.

and with memory, ryzen does much better with faster memory kits. just make sure its compatible with the motherboard you choose, you should be able to find this out on the manufacturer's website (just copy paste the product number in google)

Solution

iSaint

Honorable
Feb 26, 2015

Ya, reading the suggestions, and knowing my budget, I decided to go with an above average x470 or B450 over a mediocre X570.

Any suggestions for a good x470/b450 board that has good VRMs and features costing $150-170?

iSaint

Honorable
Feb 26, 2015
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($199.00 @ B&H)

Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Best Buy)

Best 2 X570 mobo's under $300. Asrock comes in above average, Msi bombs. It's not until you really get expensive that the lines blur, and then it's more about the gimmicks and bells/whistles. Worth the $10-$20 over budget.

Gskill for ram, has the edge over Corsair, unless the Gskill is the high Cas version (CL19), in which case the Corsair RGB at CL16 3000 would be the better option. Unless that'll interfere with the cpu cooler, which puts the Corsair LPX at the top of the list.

Thanks for the suggestion, I keep the RAM tips in mind when making the purchase.

Knowing my budget, I decided to go with an above average x470 or B450 over a mediocre X570. Once other components necessitate X570 level tech I might upgrade at the time.

Any suggestions for a good x470/b450 board that has good VRMs and features costing $150-170?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
For B450, it's MSI. They have by far the best VRM's setup, and the most bells and whistles comparatively. No idea what happened with the x570's, but their dual VRM setup just isn't as good as the higher phases of Asus and Gigabyte.

There's nothing mediocre about the Tuf or Auros Elite, they carry the same VRM's as their $300+ upgrades.

The bonus to the x570's is native pcie gen4, which plays a part in gpu selection as the 5700xt doesn't get full performance out of gen3, and limits usage of gen4 NVMe, if it works, on the B450/X470 or prior mobo's. So the Crucial P1 is good, but the Sabrent Rocket, Gigabyte, Corsair MP600 isn't.

And that's if the 3080ti etc isn't slated to be pcie4.

So it's a gamble.