Oct 24, 2023
I will be working from home for the first time (the dream)

I have a company docking station that will work with my laptop. It has several inputs and could work with my existing peripherals.
I don't want to move the cord from the end of the day from laptop to (c to usb adapter to) PC and was looking at some switches online.
However, a lot of them were pretty bad at describing what kind of inputs and outputs they used.

The picture below shows my setup with the red boxes being assorted peripherals (screen, headset, mouse etc.)

I'd assume I just need a switch that accepts a usb-c input with 2 USB female ports so I can use whichever cords I want for the outs.

Is there anything I'm missing?
Are there any recommendations for an affordable switch for this purpose?
vhbgijknyg.png

Oct 24, 2023
Essentially since the docking station is doing most of the "heavy lifting" in terms of getting in all my video components and other peripherals, I basically just need a usb-c female with 2 outputs that can be switched, but I don't know of any reliable hardware that will do that.

Any ideas appreciated.

Ralston18

Titan
Actually you need to expand your diagram.

By that I mean include all ports, plugs, cables, adapters, etc. to show plug/port type and gender.

Include the KVM switch ports.

KVM's are available in all sorts of configurations. If the required configuration is not directly available then a custom (aka expensive) KVM may be needed.

You will also need to purchase the connecting cables to match plugs to ports.

Since you have already ordered the switch and cables you may have already sketched it out. If not sketched out, then do so before unpacking everything.

May save some time and effort if some component needs to be returned/RMA'd.

Reactions: BashfulPanda112
Oct 24, 2023
Actually you need to expand your diagram.

By that I mean include all ports, plugs, cables, adapters, etc. to show plug/port type and gender.

Include the KVM switch ports.

KVM's are available in all sorts of configurations. If the required configuration is not directly available then a custom (aka expensive) KVM may be needed.

You will also need to purchase the connecting cables to match plugs to ports.

Since you have already ordered the switch and cables you may have already sketched it out. If not sketched out, then do so before unpacking everything.

May save some time and effort if some component needs to be returned/RMA'd.
diagram

This is what it looks like in more detail

For some reason the forum wasn't playing nice with the image upload; sry for the link

Ralston18

Titan
Not sure about that plan....

I would expect that the laptop would be placed in the dock.

I.e., the "orange" laptop being in the "brown" docking station.

And the resulting connections centralized on the KVM switch.

Switch also having at least one HDMI/DP input to receive video from desktop. The laptop HDMI/DP video being "connected in" via the docking station - no cable.

Keyboard, mouse, as inputs via the KVM switch to either deskop or laptop dock as selected by the switch.

Then one HDMI video port and one DP port, along with one audio output to serve Monitors 1 & 2 plus the headset (or speakers).

Perhaps more like the following link:

Desktop, docking station, KVM link

Edit your diagram (very helpful by the way) using the link as a model/template.

Again be sure to indicate all ports, cable plugs (both ends), and genders.

Not sure about the need for that USB-C female adapter. Should not be needed if the laptop is docked.

May be some error of omission or commission on my part but no harm in doublechecking or otherwise ensuring that the setup will meet the requirements.

Reactions: BashfulPanda112
Oct 24, 2023
Thanks for the input.

I said docking station but it is really like a sort of USB hub. However, Dell calls it a dock. Its only output is a USB-C/Display cable. This appears to be very similar if it isn't the exact model. I probably wouldn't have bought this, but I already have it so I may as well attempt to use it.

The "Admittedly cheap" switch I got to test this on, also has a USB-C/Display cable for the input. I'm assuming the idea was that the monitor was to be plugged directly into the switch and could then switch that way.

If it doesn't work, I can return it and worst case I'm out 30 bucks after using some credits I had from Amazon.

Ralston18

Titan
Unfortunately both of those devices seem focused on USB application versus being a real KVM switch.

And both products seem, to my mind anyway, to be a bit short on details regarding connectivity and use.

There should be more documentation and diagrams via User Guides/Manuals explaining things.

Do take a look at the reviews and questions:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-dock-wd19s-180w/apd/210-azbm/docks-and-stands#ratings_section

= = = =

Take another look at the link I provided via Post #6. You can easily find other similar links and diagrams.

Revise your diagram to show all device ports, port types, cables, genders etc..

Indeed you may be able to put together some working configuration to meet your requirements.

But be wary of loops (electrical, network, video, audio).

A loop being some path where Device A is connected to Device B which is connected to Device C which is connected to Device A again.

I do not directly see that in your diagram. However, if all the connections are shown including electrical then there may be a problem.

Oct 24, 2023
So update:

the switch works for all of the USB devices connected to the HUB. The female-female usb-c solution works in that respect.
And the display port devices work when it is switched to the laptop connection.
However the display port devices do not work on the PC, but this was an issue before the switch was introduced.

Going to check the dock's drivers etc. and see if that could make it work, but I can't think of a way that this will work with only the existing hardware as the display devices seem to want to be plugged into the graphics card and the usb devices want to be on the mother board.

seems to be on the software side though. so that's something.

Ralston18

Titan
Regarding:

"the display port devices do not work on the PC, but this was an issue before the switch was introduced."

Consider that if that problem is resolved then the other problems may dissapear.

Take a look in Device Manager - check all of the applicable drivers being used. Are the drivers up-to-date?

And I would expect that the display devices would want to be plugged into the GPU (or iGPU if supported) and that the USB devices would want to be connected to the motherboard.

I was checking into USB-c and came across the following link:

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/what-is-usb-c-an-explainer

From the link:

"While every USB-C port looks the same, not every one offers the same capabilities. USB-C may now be ubiquitous, but it doesn't serve the same functions everywhere. Not by a long shot."

TRENDING THREADS