Build Advice I need advice on building a new PC from the ground up ?

Jul 5, 2024
Approximate Purchase Date: 3-4 weeks

Budget Range: Approximately $4,000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Video editing and processing, Surfing the web.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Everything

Do you need to buy OS: Yes
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
IBuyPower/other builders who will build it for me.

Parts Preferences: AMD CPU, Nvidia Graphics Cards.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 3840x2160

Additional Comments: I would like a quiet PC. I would also like to future proof it as much as possible. I also want at least 2TB of SSD space.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My AiO, graphics card, and hard drive are all starting to fail. So I'm getting a completely new rig.

I'm thinking of getting a Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU and a 4080 Super GPU. Should I wait a little longer and try to get the new CPUs AMD is putting out? Should I go ahead and get a 4090 instead? As I said, I don't have the confidence to buy the parts and build a PC myself and would like it to be future proof as much as is possible. I'd like advice on the best parts too.

Reactions: Why_Me
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($394.95 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: *ID-COOLING FROZN A620 PRO SE 58 CFM CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: *G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: *Acer Predator GM7000 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *Asus TUF Gaming OG OC GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card ($1759.00 @ Amazon)
Case: *Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.00 @ Newegg Sellers)
Power Supply: *be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 1200 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($146.90 @ Amazon)
Operating System: *Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2979.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-07-07 03:12 EDT-0400

Approximate Purchase Date: 3-4 weeks

Budget Range: Approximately $4,000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Video editing and processing, Surfing the web.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Everything

Do you need to buy OS: Yes
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
IBuyPower/other builders who will build it for me.

Parts Preferences: AMD CPU, Nvidia Graphics Cards.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 3840x2160

Additional Comments: I would like a quiet PC. I would also like to future proof it as much as possible. I also want at least 2TB of SSD space.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My AiO, graphics card, and hard drive are all starting to fail. So I'm getting a completely new rig.

I'm thinking of getting a Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU and a 4080 Super GPU. Should I wait a little longer and try to get the new CPUs AMD is putting out? Should I go ahead and get a 4090 instead? As I said, I don't have the confidence to buy the parts and build a PC myself and would like it to be future proof as much as is possible. I'd like advice on the best parts too.
Purchase the components and afterwards call these people to build it for you.

https://www.myfatgeek.com/services.html

https://www.ubreakifix.com/locations/idahofalls

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Probably wait. x3D is good for games, not so much for other tasks like video editing. Check reviews to see if difference between non x3D variants be a bother or not, it'll still be quick though.

Extra ram for video editing, doesn't hurt to have extra for the future since mixing ram can be an issue so if you can afford the capacity now whilst keeping it to two sticks for best reliability then why not.

Storage, well, with games and video editing involved two 990 Pro 4tb would last you awhile.

Graphics card is a hard one with 5 series not too far away. 4080s would be decent and not costing so much. Bare in mind playing in 4k, the need for anti aliasing in games isn't necessary so bit of extra performance there with that off, especially comparing to review sites whom tend to run everything maxed out.

Cpu cooler, there's differing opinions on this forum. I am in favor of air. If a cpu can get by happily on air then id prefer it and 7800x3D can be cooled by a decent air cooler quite comfortably. Aio, even though good units come with 5+ yr warranty, that isn't guaranteed. Pumps can fail anytime. So it's up to you if you think that'll bother you.

Psu, it's Atx 3.1 ready. You can get dual 8 pin pcie to 12vhpwr for the graphics card instead of using the supplied generic adapter that comes with the card, and neater.

Other notes. Look at getting an Am5 thermal paste guard, make your life a little easier so there's no chance paste can ooze out over the socket since Am5 isn't square. If you go with Noctua cooler their paste is fine.

If were to buy predominantly for gaming then something like this.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($394.95 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($119.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX ATX AM5 Motherboard ($178.20 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte WINDFORCE V2 GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER 16 GB Video Card ($999.99 @ B&H)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL III ATX Mid Tower Case ($139.90 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i (2023) 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($234.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro OEM - DVD 64-bit ($149.99 @ Adorama)
Total: $3057.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-07-07 02:56 EDT-0400

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2024
Probably wait. x3D is good for games, not so much for other tasks like video editing. Check reviews to see if difference between non x3D variants be a bother or not, it'll still be quick though.

Extra ram for video editing, doesn't hurt to have extra for the future since mixing ram can be an issue so if you can afford the capacity now whilst keeping it to two sticks for best reliability then why not.

Storage, well, with games and video editing involved two 990 Pro 4tb would last you awhile.

Graphics card is a hard one with 5 series not too far away. 4080s would be decent and not costing so much. Bare in mind playing in 4k, the need for anti aliasing in games isn't necessary so bit of extra performance there with that off, especially comparing to review sites whom tend to run everything maxed out.

Cpu cooler, there's differing opinions on this forum. I am in favor of air. If a cpu can get by happily on air then id prefer it and 7800x3D can be cooled by a decent air cooler quite comfortably. Aio, even though good units come with 5+ yr warranty, that isn't guaranteed. Pumps can fail anytime. So it's up to you if you think that'll bother you.

Psu, it's Atx 3.1 ready. You can get dual 8 pin pcie to 12vhpwr for the graphics card instead of using the supplied generic adapter that comes with the card, and neater.

Other notes. Look at getting an Am5 thermal paste guard, make your life a little easier so there's no chance paste can ooze out over the socket since Am5 isn't square. If you go with Noctua cooler their paste is fine.

If were to buy predominantly for gaming then something like this.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($394.95 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($119.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX ATX AM5 Motherboard ($178.20 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte WINDFORCE V2 GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER 16 GB Video Card ($999.99 @ B&H)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL III ATX Mid Tower Case ($139.90 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i (2023) 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($234.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro OEM - DVD 64-bit ($149.99 @ Adorama)
Total: $3057.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-07-07 02:56 EDT-0400
I think with the 5 series so close, but with my need also so pressing, going with a 4080 super is the smartest play. I can get it without breaking the bank and I can sit on it for 6 months - 1 year or more while waiting for the series 5 to drop in price and/or find a sale.

I'll also have to wait and see what exactly the prices are on the new AMD CPUs before deciding which one to get. I'm still leaning towards the 7 7800X3D, but the upcoming 9 5900XT is looking very tempting.

I'll give air cooling a shot, I've only ever used AIOs. Someone else was recommending a ID-COOLING FROZN. It's a fair bit cheaper than that Noctua. I've also seen Thermalight Phantom Spirit 120 EVO as a highly recommended air cooler on this site.

Any thoughts?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I think with the 5 series so close, but with my need also so pressing, going with a 4080 super is the smartest play. I can get it without breaking the bank and I can sit on it for 6 months - 1 year or more while waiting for the series 5 to drop in price and/or find a sale.

I'll also have to wait and see what exactly the prices are on the new AMD CPUs before deciding which one to get. I'm still leaning towards the 7 7800X3D, but the upcoming 9 5900XT is looking very tempting.

I'll give air cooling a shot, I've only ever used Aios. Someone else was recommending a ID-COOLING FROZN. It's a fair bit cheaper than that Noctua. I've also seen Thermalight Phantom Spirit 120 EVO as a highly recommended air cooler on this site.

Any thoughts?

I think you meant 9xxx series as oppose to 5900XT. I think it's worth waiting. I'll say this about Noctua though, their mounting system and fans are second to none, that's where the price difference mainly is compared to other cheaper options.

Last edited: