[SOLVED] Need advice on selecting intel i7 10700 or ryzen 3700x

JC11

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2015
Hello Friends,
I was planning to buy an AMD processor but when I saw both intel i7 10700 and ryzen 3700x are placed at a similar price around 30 K. I am having a dilemma because Intel provides good gaming performance compared to ryzen. Please advise me which processor should I buy.

I usually build systems to last more than 5 years.

Thank you for all the help!!

Solution
For a 5 year future proofing, Im guessing either of the two have the same chance to be ok in that time.

Yeah sure some say don't buy the 10700 cause its locked (not K version) but lets face it, forget about reviews, reviewers and tech press in general, not everyone like or want to OC, and of course, not every chip can actually hit the numbers you read and see on those reviews. Heck not everyone wana spend the time getting a stable system and the money need it on the cooling to OC.
I think the 10700 is such a good chip as any other (in the same performance segment), specially if you don't care about OC. I know I don't.
In any case lately AMD and Intel are getting smaller margins OC wise.

Both newer platforms B460/Z490 for intel or...

Lutfij

Titan
similar price around 30 K.
Where are you located? Region will dictate what the currency is and the eventual amount you're looking at when spending(whether it's worth while or a ripoff).

For both the boards will be different and ofc with B550 chipset out now, you should be able to build something without that annoying chipset heatsink(found on X570 boards).

What games are you planning to tax the system with? It's also not just the CPU, the GPU and ram have a part to play as well.

JC11

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2015
similar price around 30 K.
Where are you located? Region will dictate what the currency is and the eventual amount you're looking at when spending(whether it's worth while or a ripoff).

For both the boards will be different and ofc with B550 chipset out now, you should be able to build something without that annoying chipset heatsink(found on X570 boards).

What games are you planning to tax the system with? It's also not just the CPU, the GPU and ram have a part to play as well.
Thanks for the reply. I am located in India, Chennai. Both CPU's cost around 30 K (400 $). I play all the latest games at 1080 P and I have 980 GTX, Will upgrade GPU next year when Nvidia and AMD launch their new GPU's.

I want my build last minimum 5 years and since the next-gen console has 8 cores so I am going with 8 core setup to future proof myself.

DeanTH23

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
The 3700X's price is normally $270-$320...If it's always at $400 in your country then the 10700 is a better deal but it's locked and you'll be unable to perform any overclock.

If you want my advice,i think it's better to go for a Ryzen 3600/X/XT with a B450/X470 motherboard and spend the remaining money on better graphics or better cooling.
6 cores/12 threads will continue being the "sweet spot" for some years and i doubt that you'll fully utilize it even after 5 years.

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
My vote is for Ryzen. If you are looking for a "future-proof" system, I recommend the best motherboard you can afford - x570 or B550 with beefy power delivery subsystem to support those high end Ryzen 4000 cpus,

For a 5 year future proofing, Im guessing either of the two have the same chance to be ok in that time.

Yeah sure some say don't buy the 10700 cause its locked (not K version) but lets face it, forget about reviews, reviewers and tech press in general, not everyone like or want to OC, and of course, not every chip can actually hit the numbers you read and see on those reviews. Heck not everyone wana spend the time getting a stable system and the money need it on the cooling to OC.
I think the 10700 is such a good chip as any other (in the same performance segment), specially if you don't care about OC. I know I don't.
In any case lately AMD and Intel are getting smaller margins OC wise.

Both newer platforms B460/Z490 for intel or B550/X570 for AMD should have, according to those chip makers, a new cpu gen available on those mobos by the end of the year. So if you think in.... lets say 3 years and a half, that your CPU could get and update you should be able to buy a 10th/11th gen intel CPU or a Zen2/Zen 3 (Ryzen 3xxx/4xxx) AMD CPU.

Having the B550 mobos available for AMD, I would really skip the B450 and X470 boards, unless you can't get a decent B550 in your country.

Last edited:
Solution

JC11

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2015
Thanks all for the valuable info and advice.

I am in real dilemma right now because 3600 costs 220 $ and 3700x & 10700 costs close to 400$.

So is it wise to invest in 3600 instead of other 2 and buy a b550 motherboard to upgrade after 3 to 5 years?

Planning to buy ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi) (Costs 250 $ here) or Tuf X570 Gaming wifi which costs the same amount.

Also, I have a CM690 II Advanced Plus Cabinet which i bought around 2009 and it served me well. Does it support now when I upgrade my system (https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/legacy-products/cases/cm-690-ii-plus/)

D

Deleted member 2720853

Also, I don't OC so 3700x stock cooler will be enough to keep the temperature under control?
Generally, yes, however Ryzens behave differently. They keep boosting as long as their have the thermal headroom and power delivery.

So for example if you see 75C under load with the stock cooler, and you get a better cooler, you will still see 75C but an increased frequency.

JC11

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2015
Generally, yes, however Ryzens behave differently. They keep boosting as long as their have the thermal headroom and power delivery.

So for example if you see 75C under load with the stock cooler, and you get a better cooler, you will still see 75C but an increased frequency.

Thank you for the info!!

So, I went and looked at motherboard prices and most of the good board are close to 270 $
Asus b550-f wifi cost 270$ Asus, X570 Tuf Wifi costs the same money, MSI Gaming Edge X570 Costs 260$ and b550 carbon AC costs 290$

Gigabyte b550 boards Aorus Pro ac costs 250$.

MSI Tomahawk X570 WIFI costs 300 $

I am not sure what to buy now. Since the costs are high and are almost similar.

Any help here will be helpful!!

D

Deleted member 2720853

I have ordered the B550 Aorus Pro for $200 to pair with my Ryzen 9 3900X. It's a solid board.

X570 runs hotter and most X570 boards have a chipset fan which can get loud.

Auros pro and the ryzen 3600 are where you should be looking value wise in my opinion.

The price difference between the 3600 and 3700x in your location is absolutely not worth it for gaming performance.

Your current case is fine if it still pleases you aesthetically, decentish airflow, still have a cm p100 (same design) from 2009 with an old fx 8 core system in it