[SOLVED] Need advice on SSD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Avik Basu

Distinguished
May 31, 2014
I want to upgrade the storage of my system and this is the first time I'm touching SSD so I need advice on it.

I want to get the Crucial MX500 1TB for my primary drive and I wanted to know if the M.2 one is compatible with my motherboard. If it is then is it better to get the M.2 or the 2.5 inch one? Does either of the drive types have heating issues more than an HDD's normal working temperature? Especially M.2 drives since I have seen heatsinks for them. I'm talking about using it in a gaming PC for at least 3 hours of gaming in one go in a room that can easily get to 34°C for most of the year. Also, keep in mind, I plan to use my current HDD as a secondary drive so a 2.5 inch SSD will be sitting below or above it and be surrounded by its heat along with its own. Weird thing to talk about, I know, but I'm really worried about heating issues and want to minimize it as much as possible.

My specs are:-

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Asus B450-E Gaming motherboard
G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz 2x8GB RAM
Asus GTX760 DC2 2GB DDR5 GPU
Corsair TX650M 650W PSU
WD Black 1TB HDD

Solution
There's a thermal pad on the chipsets of most 2.5" Sata drives, the case is the heatsink.
Are you sure you have got your units correct? My PC runs at 45C-50C when idle or running low-level tasks such as browsing or playing videos/music. When playing games it gets up to 70-75C on hot days. I know it's not ideal but I have heard of people gaming at 50-60C. If 34C is the limit then all these PCs would've had trouble a long time ago. Ryzen Master says 95C is the limit for my CPU.

No, it's not a mixup of units, it's a seperation. If you have a Ryzen cpu, at idle only one core is used, the rest are inactive. So the whole load of all the background tasks is concentrated. You see a idle temp of 40's but it's a single core, not the...
For the regular SATA SSD I have never took one apart so not sure if the case is resting on the chip or not...
I have. It depends on the manufacturer an the casing. I had one fail and it looked like a connector so I opened it up and there were thermal pads in certain places to channel heat to the metal casing. Of course, if the casing is plastic this is probably not happening.