Question Need advice on storing data

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
I'm running out of space for the files that I need to use as time passes. Thing is I can't get 10TB internal drives from my area for some reason as I'm from India

I could just keep buying 4 tb externals but I don't know if that is practical for storing data. I looked further and found that LTO is ideal for archiving large amounts of data but the problem there is the machines used to run the tapes are expensive so I was wondering if there are facilities atleast in USA where you can send your data and get it archived on an LTO tape.

If that is not possible, then what are my options to store the data that I need for long term use other than buying external drives? I don't know much about archiving data so any help is greatly appreciated.

there are paid cloud storage options available where you can upload data to be preserved via online hosts.

what are these huge amounts of data that need to be backed up and stored; video, etc,.?
I could just keep buying 4 tb externals
this is not a great option because these storage drives would also need to be backed up a second time to ensure against one or more of them failing.

depending on what this specific data is would help determine the best way to proceed.

Reactions: KyaraM

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
there are paid cloud storage options available where you can upload data to be preserved via online hosts.

what are these huge amounts of data that need to be backed up and stored; video, etc,.?

this is not a great option because these storage drives would also need to be backed up a second time to ensure against one or more of them failing.

depending on what this specific data is would help determine the best way to proceed.

The data I'm talking about us gameplay footage recorded for each game i play.

Cloud can work...but what happens if the data stored gets capped?

Then get 12TB, 14TB or larger drive instead. There are even 20TB models.

The only ones with those sizes are of external...and I don't know if i like the idea of it needing a power adapter just to power it. I much prefer internal which also for some reason isn't available in my place.

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
I'm running out of space for the files that I need to use as time passes. Thing is I can't get 10TB internal drives from my area for some reason as I'm from India

I could just keep buying 4 tb externals but I don't know if that is practical for storing data. I looked further and found that LTO is ideal for archiving large amounts of data but the problem there is the machines used to run the tapes are expensive so I was wondering if there are facilities atleast in USA where you can send your data and get it archived on an LTO tape.

If that is not possible, then what are my options to store the data that I need for long term use other than buying external drives? I don't know much about archiving data so any help is greatly appreciated.
You might check into blue ray disc recorders but I'm not sure they even make them anymore. On the other hand it may be a really bad idea if they stop making players. The disc may last a long time, but the lasers burn out and your discs may be worthless. Maybe just keep your games on flash drives. Even then, nothing is 100 percent reliable. Online storage seems pretty secure as they most likely aren't foolish enough to keep all of your stuff without backing it up, but it's entirely possible a small outfit could do just that.
good luck