Question Need advice on upgrading my GPU for my current build, any ideas ?

Jan 21, 2023
I believe this is the correct place to talk about builds when it comes to graphic cards.
I have:
Asrock A320M-HDV
2x8gb DDR4 RAM
Ryzen 5 3400 G with Radeon RX Vega 11 Graphics
MWE 230V 500 PSU

I want to get a better graphics card installed that clocks faster and can run smoothly on most current games at a fair asking price.
The only problem is I know if I get a really good graphics card il have to look at changing other things to make compatible. What would you recommend I should go for?

ladislav12

Reputable
May 29, 2018
I wouldn't say you need to upgrade anything specifically. The CPU is honestly little outdated so don't expect extreme FPS when gaming but it would definitely rise if you could buy something like RTX 3050 or ideally RTX 3060 which is of course more expensive then the 3050 but its basically the mainstream for 1080p gaming at high details and on 60 FPS on most games. RTX 3050 on the other hand is not a guaranted 60FPS on high details GPU.

Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

You need to find out which.
------------------------------------------------------------
To help clarify your CPU/GPU options, run this test:

Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Your 3400G graphics would place below the GTX1050 on this chart:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html
Most any card would be a big improvement.
The limiting factor as to how strong you can go(besides your budget) will be the power of your psu.
Here is a good psu sizing chart:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
First of all, a serious video card will require a decent power supply. Consider upgrading to a 750-850 watt unit before you upgrade the gpu.

Second, when you shop for graphics cards, there should be 2 deciding factors: 1: WHAT RESOLUTION DO YOU GAME AT? (This is the #1 concern when you are gpu shopping). 2: WHAT IS YOUR BUDGET? #2 should be relative to #1.

If you game at 720 or 1080p resolutions, then there is NO NEED to shop for top-tier GPUS.
If you game at 1440, 2k, 4k resolutions, your GPU choice should reflect the additional power obviously required for higher resolution gaming.

If you're a 720p or 1080p gamer, the 2070, 2080, 3060 are pretty decent choices.
For higher resolutions, 3070, 3080, 3090, 4070, 4080, 4090, depending on your budget.
Of course there are offerings from AMD as well, I just don't know those as well as I know nVidia's offerings.

But remember, the power supply has to come first, or plugging in a new power hungry gpu can be an exercise in futility.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Keeping the PSU, maybe an RX6600, or RTX3050, or older cards like the GTX 1660/1650 or RX5500 / RX5500 XT

Anything further, definite PSU upgrade to a quality 650W unit at least.

You could also potentially replace the processor with a Ryzen 7 3700 or 3700X, and sell the 3400G while it still has some value.

logainofhades

Titan
With that board's poor vrm, I would be a bit worried using a more powerful CPU. A 3700x, with a Wraith Prism might be ok, as it will force air over the VRM's. I have seen 3700x, with the wraith prism, for less than $150, on Ebay. Beyond that, and you may as well start over, with a new platform.