Prominent
Aug 7, 2019
My current rig:
Intel Core i5: 11400 @ 2.6ghz
Gpu: GeForce GTX 1050ti 4 GB
RAM: 2x8gb
Mobo: ASUs Prime B450-plus LGA 1200
PSu: 650w
can provide additional info if required, so like the title says I’m going to upgrade to RTX 3060 is my current mobo compatible with it? Now I know that the RTX 3060 requires PCIe 4.0 and this Mobo supports PCIe 3.0 but I checked on web that RTX 3060 does support Asus Prime B450, so will it work out somehow ? Or it won’t work at all? And even if it works will there be kick back in performance like gpu not hitting its peak potential? And if that’s the case then how bad will it be? Or will I need to change my mobo for all this to work?

Solution
Your psu is considered as tier 6 quality on this list:

If your new 3060 does not need more than a single 8 pin power connector, you should be able to run ok.

That said, I would look for sales on a better quality unit with a 7 to 10 year warranty for a long term investment.
List exact make/model of your psu.
" Now I know that the RTX 3060 requires PCIe 4.0 and this Mobo supports PCIe 3.0 "
- the 3060 doesnt require PCIe 4.0 in order to work, its backwards compatible with 3.0.
"And even if it works will there be kick back in performance like gpu not hitting its peak potential? "
- Not really, since PCIe 4.0 isnt as advanced as it needs to be to create a major difference in performance.
"Or will I need to change my mobo for all this to work? "
- No need to change the motherboard, the GPU will work.

What your major concern should be is the PSU.
Until you list the exact make/model of it, i cant tell you if its good enough for the 3060.

SteeldAKinG

Prominent
Aug 7, 2019
It’s a Thermaltake litepower series GEN2 650w PSU (LTP-0650P-2)
List exact make/model of your psu.
" Now I know that the RTX 3060 requires PCIe 4.0 and this Mobo supports PCIe 3.0 "
- the 3060 doesnt require PCIe 4.0 in order to work, its backwards compatible with 3.0.
"And even if it works will there be kick back in performance like gpu not hitting its peak potential? "
- Not really, since PCIe 4.0 isnt as advanced as it needs to be to create a major difference in performance.
"Or will I need to change my mobo for all this to work? "
- No need to change the motherboard, the GPU will work.

What your major concern should be is the PSU.
Until you list the exact make/model of it, i cant tell you if its good enough for the 3060.

If your new 3060 does not need more than a single 8 pin power connector, you should be able to run ok.

That said, I would look for sales on a better quality unit with a 7 to 10 year warranty for a long term investment.

Reactions: Dj0gany
Solution

SteeldAKinG

Prominent
Aug 7, 2019
Alright I’ll consider an upgrade for PSU, so everything else is fine/checks out for 3060?