Question Need BSOD Help Please

Tbrown0824

Prominent
Aug 16, 2019
Hello everyone. I am new to PC building/Gaming and I am having a pretty rough time right now. I built this PC about a month ago and didn't have that many issues. I went on a work trip for about three weeks and not it is pretty unusable. Not sure what happened but I can't go about 5 minutes without getting a BSOD. I did take it to a PC shop ( I know... don't judge me) and they said a clean install of windows would fix it. Brought it home, clean install, and of not. After my clean install I am still getting BSODs.

They range from:
- IRQL
- Kernel Auto Boost

Before I took it into the shop I literally got eight (8) different BSODs ( I can list them if needed)

As I said I am fairly new to all of this so trying to wrap my head around it is driving me crazy. I have read a lot of posts and watched a lot of videos and nothing helped so far. Things I have done:

• Ram test through windows (No errors)
  • Ram test using memtest86 (No errors)
  • Downloaded drive booster and attempted to work on drivers ( When I did this computer wouldn't boot at all)
  • Disk check ( no errors)

I am currently trying Safe Mode right now to see if I get another BSOD.

I keep reading it is probably driver error but I have ran out of ideas.

I attempt to download drivers from my motherboards website but every time I do I get a BSOD.

System Config:
  • Corsair CX550M 550 Watts power supply
  • Samsung 970 EVO NVME M.2 (500gb)
  • MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi
  • MSI GamingX GEFORCE 1660 Ti graphics card
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • Corsair Vengeance Ram 3.2 GHZ (2X8)
Below I have also tried to attach the minidump files I read would be needed.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=14vcPBLRgDHDa3KDc2HjI2O5Q_ACVXwPz

https://drive.google.com/open?id=14infh_fEV1m_Bdy1XIJ4NIjYt3aGVqMV

This seems to happen when I am downloading files or anything super intensive on the PC. As I said though.... I have no idea.

Please any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated. If you need me to do something I will do it and if I don't know how I will figure it out.

Ralston18

Titan
Use Reliability History and Event Viewer to look for error codes and warnings that correspond to the times of the BSOD's.

Are you able to use another computer to download drivers to a USB drive/stick?

If so, download the drivers to the USB drive/stick.

Copy the drivers to the problem computer after booting the problem computer into Safe Mode.

Then install the drivers and configure as applicable.

Do only one driver at a time and test in between driver installs.

Continue to monitor for error codes and warnings.

Tbrown0824

Prominent
Aug 16, 2019
Use Reliability History and Event Viewer to look for error codes and warnings that correspond to the times of the BSOD's.

Are you able to use another computer to download drivers to a USB drive/stick?

If so, download the drivers to the USB drive/stick.

Copy the drivers to the problem computer after booting the problem computer into Safe Mode.

Then install the drivers and configure as applicable.

Do only one driver at a time and test in between driver installs.

Continue to monitor for error codes and warnings.

I can use another computer and download the drivers. I guess the question I have is what drivers do I download? Or, do I just download any and all drivers I can think of?

And I am in event viewer right now but not to sure how to read it. I can find the "Error Reporting" and see that it was a BSOD but trying to see what caused it is giving me a little bit of a hard time.

Ralston18

Titan
Use Device Manager to identify your components.

Then go to the applicable manufacturer's websites to find and download the drivers.

Errors:

Fully agree - Event Viewer is a bit difficult. Start with Reliability History.

Just FYI:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128616/windows-event-viewer.html

Just be methodical and change only one thing at a time. Keep notes about what you did in case you need to "undo".

And, as always, ensure that all important data files are backed up and verified to be readable and recoverable.

Tbrown0824

Prominent
Aug 16, 2019
Use Device Manager to identify your components.

Then go to the applicable manufacturer's websites to find and download the drivers.

Errors:

Fully agree - Event Viewer is a bit difficult. Start with Reliability History.

Just FYI:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128616/windows-event-viewer.html

Just be methodical and change only one thing at a time. Keep notes about what you did in case you need to "undo".

And, as always, ensure that all important data files are backed up and verified to be readable and recoverable.

I do thank you for all of your help. But, while in safe mode and downloading drivers I made it to my second one and got a BSOD within Safe Mode.

It was: "UNEXPECTED KERNEL TRAP"

Below is the minidump. I am currently reading through the article to understand Event Viewer to try and get a handle on this.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Okj34HQK-fJFEz_PCqHCBYziWSPY3396

Tbrown0824

Prominent
Aug 16, 2019
Is there anyone able to take a look at those dump files and let me know if they see anything that could possibly help me with this?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ralston18

Titan

Tbrown0824

Prominent
Aug 16, 2019
Yes sir I have seen that site and tried all of those.

1. Windows is updated
  2. Conducted SCANNOW (No Errors)
  3. Conducted chkdsk for my SSD ( No Errors)

I have researched a lot before reaching out because I hate feeling helpless but... I'm starting to be at a loss as to what to try. Checked my Ram, checked my HDD, checked for errors through the cmd prompt...

I have seen some post where people where able to read the dumps and point out issues so I have been hoping for that. I have completed two new windows installs so the problem really can't be anything outside of what is installed in the computer I would think.

Ralston18

Titan
The motherboard has a built-in HDMI port - correct?

Try running the system with a minimal hardware configuration: i.e., just the boot drive and built-in GPU.

No over-clocking.

Disable all unnecessary apps via Task Manager > Startup tab.

The objective being to determine if any level of stable performance can be established.

Tbrown0824

Prominent
Aug 16, 2019
When I get home I'll be able try this out. And to be clear I'm reading that as just removing my GPU and using the built in graphics to see if it works. I don't have to go into bios or windows or anything and actually disable my GPU correct?

I'll disable apps, keep the ram sticks installed and use the internal graphics card to see if the error is reproduced.

Can this happen due to any driver associated with the actual cpu? I'm sure it could... I tried to install some AMD drivers last night but threw an error message. I read how to fix the error but wasn't sure if I actually needed to install the amd drivers due to having a dedicated gpu.

Thank you again so much for your assistance with this.

Tbrown0824

Prominent
Aug 16, 2019
Current situation:

I have installed the following drivers:
-Ethernet Controller
  • AMD Chipset
  • Wifi Driver
  • Network adapter
  • Realtek Audio Driver
  • Wireless Bluetooth
  • Nvidia Drivers for GPU

I have restarted in Safe mode (with crashes) and disabled start-up apps (with crashes).

I have removed my GPU and attempted to boot up but Ryzen CPUs do not have an integrated GPU so have to use my 1660ti.

Wit this I still receive the following errors:

• Kernal Auto Boost Invalid Lock Release
  • Kernal Security Check Failure
  • IRQL Not Less or Equal

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have run the dump file and you can see the full report here: https://pste.eu/p/IQaM.html

Summary of findings:
BugCheck 1000007F
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!KiInterruptDispatchNoLockNoEtw+3f )

Bugcheck Description:
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
This bug check indicates that the Intel CPU generated a trap and the kernel failed to catch this trap. Most common traps include: Divide by Zero Error, Overflow, Opcode validity problems, Bounds Check Faults or Double faults.
About your bugcheck:
Bug check 0x7F typically occurs after you install a faulty or mismatched hardware (especially memory) or if installed hardware fails.

A double fault can occur when the kernel stack overflows. This overflow occurs if multiple drivers are attached to the same stack. For example, if two file system filter drivers are attached to the same stack and then the file system recurses back in, the stack overflows."

Some things to consider:
  • You say this still occurred in safe mode? Assuming this dump file was from when in crashed in normal windows?
  • I can see your RAM is overclocked, I would remove the OC and see if the problem continues.
  • I can see you have latest BIOS installed
  • Are you running a RAID setup? You have a LOT of SATA/RAID drivers.
  • Did you run safe mode with or without networking enabled?
  • Have you reset BIOS completely to defaults / reset CMOS?
Being as the issue still occurred in safe mode, I would sooner be looking at the core OS, hardware, or internet.

Tbrown0824

Prominent
Aug 16, 2019
Thank you for your reply. To answer some of the questions:

• This did happen in Safe Mode but I don't remember if that dump was from then. I have seen so many blue screens I honestly lost count.
  • I did have XMP for my RAM because my mother board stops it at about 2200 mhz even though it is rated higher. I did just disabled XMP to see if it made a difference.
  • I honestly have no idea if I am running a RAID set-up. When I went to download new drivers from AMD it said I could download the software for RAID but I didn't because there was a lot of talk about overclocking, which I didn't want to do. I did see all of those drivers though when I was in device manager.
  • When I was in Safe Mode I did select the option without the network. I did see a post about network adapters so I was going to disable mine and try an ethernet connection. Grabbing at straws at this point.
  • I have not reset BIOS/CMOS. Is that something I should do?

I was about to start using the "Driver Verifier" that is built into windows to see if anything came out of that because I am at a loss.

Also... below is the latest dump. I did download a program to see if I could figure it out and I got a file called "ntoskrnl.exe" highlighted. Clearly you all know more then me so I am sure whatever you looked at had some good information in it.

Tbrown0824

Prominent
Aug 16, 2019
Thank you for your reply. To answer some of the questions:

• This did happen in Safe Mode but I don't remember if that dump was from then. I have seen so many blue screens I honestly lost count.
  • I did have XMP for my RAM because my mother board stops it at about 2200 mhz even though it is rated higher. I did just disabled XMP to see if it made a difference.
  • I honestly have no idea if I am running a RAID set-up. When I went to download new drivers from AMD it said I could download the software for RAID but I didn't because there was a lot of talk about overclocking, which I didn't want to do. I did see all of those drivers though when I was in device manager.
  • When I was in Safe Mode I did select the option without the network. I did see a post about network adapters so I was going to disable mine and try an ethernet connection. Grabbing at straws at this point.
  • I have not reset BIOS/CMOS. Is that something I should do?
I was about to start using the "Driver Verifier" that is built into windows to see if anything came out of that because I am at a loss.

Also... below is the latest dump. I did download a program to see if I could figure it out and I got a file called "ntoskrnl.exe" highlighted. Clearly you all know more then me so I am sure whatever you looked at had some good information in it.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1O7W5PthcpJ5Zn9pEA85hM73SHJ0QtQIu

Tbrown0824

Prominent
Aug 16, 2019
Also, as for hardware everything in this computer is new. Bought it all about a month ago and used it for about four days. checked all connections and everythig is sitting right. Operating system is from microsoft and I have completed three fresh installs.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
It might be worth it, but if the issue is occurring in safe mode, it pretty much means it can't be a third party driver. So it's only going to push out kernel or core device drivers. Thus why if you enabled networking, it would still load your network driver. Thus why it might have been my first port of call.

Whenever a dump blames ntoskrnl.exe - then it's usually when the OS isn't smart enough to identify what exactly crashed, so instead it blames the very process that did crash, which is your NTOSKRNL - or your kernel / Core OS in other words.

Latest dump file report is here: https://pste.eu/p/bOoK.html - however see below:

• You say you have performed clean installs and the issue returned, which either means it is hardware, or one of the drivers you are first installing is causing a conflict.
  • How did you check your RAM and storage drives exactly?
  • Have you monitored CPU and GPU temps under load?
  • I would remove or disable Ryzen OC utility for now (you can use Autoruns linked in Loaded Modules tab of report to disable temporarily)

Just to be safe i would still check for updates for:
Netwtw04.sys29/04/2019IntelIntel WiFi Driver
nvvhci.sys16/08/2018NVIDIAVirtual USB Host Controller driver
amdgpio2.sys12/11/2018AMDAMD GPIO Controller Driver
t640x64.sys10/05/2019RealtekRealtek Audio Driver

Tbrown0824

Prominent
Aug 16, 2019
I checked RAM using the windows diagnosis tool and also using memtest86. I only did one pass but both test came back without errors. I know I have seen to let it go longer but I figured since the RAM is less then a month old in the system it wasn't that. For the hard drive I did a drive check and also the prompt "chkdsk." I also did the "scannow" cmd and both had no errors.

I have looked at temp within the BIOS but haven't really paid to much mind to it honestly. Yesterday I opened up my case and I also have multiple fans going. I can check those if needed.

I never installed the Ryzen software on the computer so shouldn't be an issue there.

Also, I went through device manager and ensured all the drive listed where updated, they were.

Tbrown0824

Prominent
Aug 16, 2019
I also want to say thank you and Ralston so much for helping. As I said, I am very new to all this so I am learning a lot. Just sucks that this is happening when I was so excited to get into it all.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Check the temps.
I would also rerun the memtest with at least 4 passes. Leave it overnight if you have to. I see plenty of RAM pass right until the last moments. Better safe than sorry. Also we just have to clarify that no software can 100% guarantee finding a hardware problem, so even running memtest, if it is all clear, it's not 100% still, but it's a good indicator.

I would also run HD Sentinel on the storage drives to see if anything obvious is afoot.

Tbrown0824

Prominent
Aug 16, 2019
Sounds good. I'll run memtest overnight tonight and look into the hard drive check.

As for the Temps... Just go into bios and see what everything is sitting at? You said under load but I don't think I will be able to get anything to go during normal windows operations.

I can be at the desktop for a while without a crash ( sooner or later it happens) but as soon as I start using YouTube or downloading anything in about one minute I'll get it crash.

Tbrown0824

Prominent
Aug 16, 2019
I have ran HD Sentinel and checked the temps. Attached you will see the pictures I took just so you can see what I am looking at.

Temps (From BIOS):
  • CPU 38
  • System 37
  • MOS 43
  • Chipset 55
  • PCIE 1 38
  • M.2 36
HD Sentinel stated everything was great.

If there is nothing else recommended tonight I will go ahead and start memtest. I will hold off for a little just in case you, or someone, wants me to try something else.

Thank you so much again!

2ZlubsK.png

oCW0pe1.png
wSpDmhM.jpg
qGArCu0.jpg
MNMEmPs.jpg

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
so one thought i had was - is ram on motherboard listing. It seems to be - CMK16GX4M2B3200C16R ver4.31 - I assume yours are that version. Dumps can't tell us that much. The codes match otherwise.

HD Sentinel. Click the Disk menu and run any scans you can on drives

did he run driver verifer? just to confirm its not software, as both BSOD say - DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT - and although that could mean a WIn 10 driver, it still makes me think you should look at software as well.

Tbrown0824

Prominent
Aug 16, 2019
so one thought i had was - is ram on motherboard listing. It seems to be - CMK16GX4M2B3200C16R ver4.31 - I assume yours are that version. Dumps can't tell us that much. The codes match otherwise.

HD Sentinel. Click the Disk menu and run any scans you can on drives

did he run driver verifer? just to confirm its not software, as both BSOD say - DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT - and although that could mean a WIn 10 driver, it still makes me think you should look at software as well.

Good morning Colif. I did run HD Sentinel last night and posted pictures of the results in the post above yours. From what I see everything looks good from that scan. Overnight night I did run memtest84 and it has competed 4 total passes with zero errors ( I will post that image below). I am heading to work so I will just let it continue to run until I get back.

When I get home today I am going to try out that drive verifier unless there is something else thought of. I am just so confused because before I went on my trip the computer was running fine and now this. Everything in it is new and there is really nothing installed on the computer, since it is so new.

uNuHSI7.jpg

Colif

Win 11 Master
Downloaded drive booster and attempted to work on drivers ( When I did this computer wouldn't boot at all)

if not already mentioned, using 3rd party driver updaters to update drivers can lead to problems.

BSOD could all be caused by Nvidia drivers, you have newest after all. If it updated since returning from trip, its all it takes.

Strange MSI Ryzen boards don't have live update 6, it makes updating their drivers slightly more tedious