Question Need clarification for RAM compatibility with Ryzen 7 5800X3D

jayl0323

Honorable
Dec 9, 2015
Hello! I've recently built my second ever computer and have been having anxiety about if my RAM will cause system instability. In my last build two years ago, I had paired a Ryzen 7 2700X with 2 X 8GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600mhz CL16. At the time, I was unaware that the processor was not well equipped to handle such fast RAM, and was following suggestions to get faster RAM because of the performance increases. After enabling XMP, things worked fine for about 30 minutes before I received a BSOD, after which they would reoccur sporadically. I had decided to go back inside the MSI B450 Tomahawk BIOS and tweak the memory settings so that XMP was no longer turned on. After about another week of working, my computer had another BSOD, this time resulting in it not being able to post. Being a relatively inexperienced builder, I was feeling overwhelmed and decided to take it to Micro Center. After working on it, they told me one of the memory modules was faulty, and had them replaced. They also noted that enabling XMP in the BIOS had caused system instability. After receiving my computer, stability was normal, but only because my RAM was running at 2133mhz.

Being much more cautious this second time building, I was initially going to strictly follow the RAM speed specifications that are listed under the 5800X3D's specs page (3200mhz). When I went to buy the parts yesterday, the person at Micro Center suggested instead to use 3600mhz. He told me that this was the ideal speed for the Ryzen 5000 series, and others online have noted this as well. I followed his recommendations and so far have not experienced any issues regarding stability in the couple hours that I have been using this computer. However, I still am unsure as to whether or not this pairing will cause stability issues in more demanding situations, mainly gaming. The RAM I bought this time is 2 x 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 3600mhz. XMP has been enabled and the memory is running at its rated speed. Timings are a bit less than ideal, at (I think) 20-23-23-43. Full specs are as follows:

Ryzen 7 5700X3D
MSI B550 Tomahawk MAX WIFI
2 x 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 3600mhz
Corsair H150i Elite Capellix Liquid CPU Cooler
Samsung 970 EVO 2TB
MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8GB GDRR6X
Corsair RM850x Fully Modular Power Supply

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hello! I've recently built my second ever computer and have been having anxiety about if my RAM will cause system instability. In my last build two years ago, I had paired a Ryzen 7 2700X with 2 X 8GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600mhz CL16. At the time, I was unaware that the processor was not well equipped to handle such fast RAM, and was following suggestions to get faster RAM because of the performance increases. After enabling XMP, things worked fine for about 30 minutes before I received a BSOD, after which they would reoccur sporadically. I had decided to go back inside the MSI B450 Tomahawk BIOS and tweak the memory settings so that XMP was no longer turned on. After about another week of working, my computer had another BSOD, this time resulting in it not being able to post. Being a relatively inexperienced builder, I was feeling overwhelmed and decided to take it to Micro Center. After working on it, they told me one of the memory modules was faulty, and had them replaced. They also noted that enabling XMP in the BIOS had caused system instability. After receiving my computer, stability was normal, but only because my RAM was running at 2133mhz.

Being much more cautious this second time building, I was initially going to strictly follow the RAM speed specifications that are listed under the 5800X3D's specs page (3200mhz). When I went to buy the parts yesterday, the person at Micro Center suggested instead to use 3600mhz. He told me that this was the ideal speed for the Ryzen 5000 series, and others online have noted this as well. I followed his recommendations and so far have not experienced any issues regarding stability in the couple hours that I have been using this computer. However, I still am unsure as to whether or not this pairing will cause stability issues in more demanding situations, mainly gaming. The RAM I bought this time is 2 x 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 3600mhz. XMP has been enabled and the memory is running at its rated speed. Timings are a bit less than ideal, at (I think) 20-23-23-43. Full specs are as follows:

Ryzen 7 5700X3D
MSI B550 Tomahawk MAX WIFI
2 x 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 3600mhz
Corsair H150i Elite Capellix Liquid CPU Cooler
Samsung 970 EVO 2TB
MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8GB GDRR6X
Corsair RM850x Fully Modular Power Supply

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Time will tell.

Run your stuff and see what happens.