Jul 9, 2021
Hey everyone! I really need your help. The last couple of days I created a part list for my first good gaming pc. I'm pretty confident in it, but just wanted to hear some other opinions on it. I'm open to all suggestions for improvement whatsover. I added amazon links for every part for more details because it was easier for me. I get the parts on other sites though, so don't worry about some of the prices. In total, this build will cost me pretty exactly 1900€ (~2250$). Prices started to drop tremendously here in my country (GPU was 700€ compared to 1200€ a month ago) but I couldn't wait any longer cause my current pc finally died :( was about to get a new one last year already but wanted to wait cause of the GPU prices.
Edit!: I want to play games in 1440p with 144Hz (240Hz in some fps competetive titles) on it.
Anyways, here's my list. feel free to give me better suggestions or just tell me if it's ok like this :)

Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500DX
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 (Rev. B)
Mainboard: MSI B550 TOMAHAWK
RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3600MHz
SSD1: 1TB Crucial P2 M.2 NVME-SSD
SSD2: 1TB Corsair MP400 M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVME
GPU: 8GB NVIDIA RTX3070
PSU: 750W Corsair RM750x

Thanks for reading and maybe even helping me out :D

Solution
Thought it might be helpful to have one a bit better than the other if some softwares may benefit much from the better one

Most of the times, it's actually vice-versa. The more different programs you put in your system, to control all your hardware, the higher the chance of some or all of them not working together.

For example:
(hardware - software)
  • Asus MoBo with RGB capability - Aura Sync
  • MSI GPU - MSI App Center
  • Samsung SSD - Samsung Magician
  • NZXT RGB fans/LED strip - NZXT CAM
  • Logitech headset - Logitech G Hub
  • Razer mouse - Razer Synapse
  • Corsair KB - Corsair iCUE
etc.

All those programs, while helpful to the specific hardware they support, eventually will hog down system resources. So, in that...
Jul 9, 2021
Thanks for your reply! :D
I wasn't too sure about the ssds. Thought it might be helpful to have one a bit better than the other if some softwares may benefit much from the better one, but I wanted to save a bit money and go for a little bit worse second one.
Or the other way around, didn't want to go for two slightly worse ones if it may lock me out from some options 😅 Idk, it's way too overcomplicated but I just wanted to keep all options open.

But I guess it doesn't make too much of a difference though.

But everything else is good? Glad to hear (read ;D). I read something about the MSI B550 Mainboard having issues with the 5 5600x CPU sometimes. Some said you only need to update something for it to work? I don't know too much about BIOS etc. :/ but could there be any real issues?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Thought it might be helpful to have one a bit better than the other if some softwares may benefit much from the better one

Most of the times, it's actually vice-versa. The more different programs you put in your system, to control all your hardware, the higher the chance of some or all of them not working together.

For example:
(hardware - software)
  • Asus MoBo with RGB capability - Aura Sync
  • MSI GPU - MSI App Center
  • Samsung SSD - Samsung Magician
  • NZXT RGB fans/LED strip - NZXT CAM
  • Logitech headset - Logitech G Hub
  • Razer mouse - Razer Synapse
  • Corsair KB - Corsair iCUE
etc.

All those programs, while helpful to the specific hardware they support, eventually will hog down system resources. So, in that sense, it would be best if you don't have hardware zoo in your PC. ;)

but I wanted to save a bit money and go for a little bit worse second one.

Yeah, i did figure that the cost of NVMe SSD is probably the main reason why you picked one decent one and one poor one.

The decent one, Corsair MP400, review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-force-mp400-ssd-review
The poor one, Crucial P2, review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crucial-p2-m-2-nvme-ssd

Though, with the same amount of money (according to amazon), you can switch the Corsair one to Samsung 980, which is a good M.2 NVMe SSD,
review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-980-m2-nvme-ssd-review
amazon: https://www.amazon.de/en/dp/B08TJ2649W

Oh, i bought 980 1TB for myself as well but haven't had time to put it into my Haswell build as of yet. (Full specs with pics in my sig.)

Some said you only need to update something for it to work? I don't know too much about BIOS etc. :/ but could there be any real issues?

Well, some AMD B550 chipset MoBos may need a BIOS update prior to using Ryzen 5000-series CPUs. And upgrading the BIOS may require an older series CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.

Though, as long as your MoBo has latest BIOS (which it should have), it works fine. Sadly, there is in no way of knowing, if your MoBo has the latest BIOS or not. Truth comes out when you socket the CPU and power-on for the 1st time.

Solution
Jul 9, 2021
Ahhh, I guess that makes sense actually. Thanks! :D
Then what about having only one 2TB drive. I mean, instead of taking the 2 I selected I could just use a single 2TB Corsair MP400 (it's quite cheaper than the Samsung one you suggested :/ in my country :/)? After thinking about it again I don't think you really need one better drive if it's all a good SSD. Would a single 2TB Corsair MP400 work for the OS to be on it and the rest of the data? Or should I create extra partitions manually then?

Though, as long as your MoBo has latest BIOS (which it should have), it works fine. Sadly, there is in no way of knowing, if your MoBo has the latest BIOS or not. Truth comes out when you socket the CPU and power-on for the 1st time.
Ah ok sucks, you never know before. Guess I have to hope for it ;D
But if it doesn't have the latest BIOS I can just simply update it somehow, right?

Sry for all the questions. It's just the first time I'm buying PC parts and building one and I really don't want to mess things up :c

Thanks for helping me out!! You're a great help!! :)

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Would a single 2TB Corsair MP400 work for the OS to be on it and the rest of the data? Or should I create extra partitions manually then?

It works fine. And you can always split the drive and create two partitions, if you so desire.

Though, having 2 physical drives or 2 partitions on single drive is personal preference. I like to keep my data (music, pics, vids) on a separate drive, away from the OS. On OS drive, i have OS and games. (Actually, i have 3 drives: OS (C:\), data (D:\) and backup (E:\).) But you can keep all of them on single drive/partition as well. Also, Win has My Music, My Videos, My Pictures etc already built-in in the My Documents section.

But if it doesn't have the latest BIOS I can just simply update it somehow, right?

Yes, you can. And it's relatively easy process as well.
In worst-case scenario, where you need older gen Ryzen CPU to update BIOS, all you need to do, is bring your PC to any local PC repair shop and paying them a small fee, you can let them to do the BIOS update for you.

Jul 9, 2021
Though, having 2 physical drives or 2 partitions on single drive is personal preference.

Ahh ok, thank you! I think I'll go with the one 2TB ssd then :D

In worst-case scenario, where you need older gen Ryzen CPU to update BIOS, all you need to do, is bring your PC to any local PC repair shop and paying them a small fee, you can let them to do the BIOS update for you.

If that's the worst-case scenario there won't be much of a problem, would be a bit annoying but I guess it's very unlikely anyways.

Thanks for your help!! :)

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
If that's the worst-case scenario there won't be much of a problem

Well, worst-case in terms of going through the trouble to haul your PC to an establishment and then back.

But hardware wise, worst-case is when BIOS update should be interrupted for whatever reason (e.g power loss), since that leads to a corrupt BIOS and bricking the MoBo.
Some MoBos have dual-BIOS, which can also be used when one BIOS gets corrupted. Other MoBos offer BIOS rollback, if the BIOS update wasn't successful. Though, if you let the PC repair shop to update the BIOS, the fault and fixing it would be theirs.

mxnty

Prominent
Mar 4, 2021
If you have any questions, let me know. The only thing I see that could be better in terms of the parts is the cooler. Air cooling is great, and water cooling is an improved cooling solution waiting there. If you’re using air cooling, make sure you have optimal airflow.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Air cooling is great, and water cooling is an improved cooling solution waiting there.

As far as All-In-One water coolers vs air coolers go, you won't gain any cooling performance if you go with an AIO over air cooler since in the end, both are cooled by ambient air.

Also, for equal cooling performance between AIOs and air coolers, AIO rad needs to be 240mm or 280mm. Smaller rads: 120mm and 140mm are almost always outperformed by mid-sized air coolers. Single slot rads with 120/140mm fan, are good in mini-ITX builds where you don't have enough CPU cooler clearance to install mid-sized CPU air cooler.

In short, AIO water cooler will cost considerably more, has considerably shorter lifespan and is noisier than air cooler, while cooling performance is overall the same.