[SOLVED] Need help about wifi range increase without new hardware

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
Is there a way to increase wifi modem signal to my room because modem stays at far away on a desk, do not want to get a wifi range extender at this moment there is none anyway in my local store, so I tried bunch of things with a old ASUS Wifi USB, like something named "hotspot", I'm not an expert about networking so anyone out there can shed a light on this will be greatly appreciated, my question is: can I use this asus wifi stick to extend modem signal to my room in some way? Like using the USB as a connector of some sorts in middle?

I'm trying to get a stable enough connection to my phone from that far away room where modem stays

Thank you

Solution
The problem with use the Wifi USB adapter is it is basically a wifi chip on a USB cable. There is no cpu chip to do most other function. In fact it must have a special driver loaded on the a computer to use it. These drivers pretty much only load on normal computer you can not put them in a router or a phone so you can't connect the
device to either and it can not function on its own.
Is there a way to increase wifi modem signal to my room
not without moving the router closer or adding some hardware like a range extender or powerline adapters.

depending on your mobile phone plan and your mobile device you may be able to create a WiFi point to connect to but i've never had much success with fast enough speeds trying to do this for others.
there is none anyway in my local store
there are many choices to order from online retailers that will be much cheaper than most retail chains or local shops would offer.

The problem with use the Wifi USB adapter is it is basically a wifi chip on a USB cable. There is no cpu chip to do most other function. In fact it must have a special driver loaded on the a computer to use it. These drivers pretty much only load on normal computer you can not put them in a router or a phone so you can't connect the
device to either and it can not function on its own.

Solution