[SOLVED] Need help! building my first pc

Nov 30, 2021
Hey guys,I'm going to build my first pc.After a lot of researches I planned a pc build with some alternative options.

But,I'm worrying about these...

1.Compatibility
2.Build quality
3.Features comparing to other models
4.Price

Note:- Budget=$750-$1000

Here these are the components,

1.CPU - Intel core i3-10100F

2.MOBO - Gigabyte B460M
DS3H/Gigabyte B560M DS3H

3.CASING - Golden Field Z21/MSI MAG VAMPIRIC 100R ARGB

4.GPU - Sapphire radeon rx 570 4GB/Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB

5.CPU Cooler - Thermaltake TH120 ARGB sync/NZXT Kraken M22

6.RAM - Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB 3200mhz 2x8GB ram sticks/Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz 2x8gb ram sticks

7.SSD - Kingston A400 480GB 2.5"SSD/Addlink 512GB 2.5" SSD

8.HDD - Toshiba 500GB HDD 7200RPM

9.CASE FANS - Golden Field 3x120mm ring RGB FANS/CoolerMaster Sickleflow 3x120mm rgb fans

10.PSU - Silverstone ST50-ES230 500w 80+ white /Corsair CV 550 80+ bronze

Tell me about ur recommendations & ur thoughts about this.

Sorry for the bad english.Thank You

Reactions: Why_Me
Solution
I have no knowledge of Sri lanka prices and availability.
Some comments on the parts list:

If this is for gaming, are you looking at fast action games, or at more like strategy, MMO or sims?
For fast action, look for a good graphics card, for strategy games, look at a processor with good single thread performance.
Budget is obviously an issue.

1. I3-10100F is a good all around budget processor.
If the price differential is minimal, get the non F version with integrated graphics to get you started.

2. ANY lga 1200 motherboard will do. differences are relatively minor.

3. Case is ok. Likely, you are paying for RGB bling.
Look for a case with at least two front 120mm intake fans.
In the US, the fractal design focus G is...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you can push for the i5-10400F that will be a much better choice for longevity.

Certainly a B560 motherboard, otherwise not much point in getting 3200 memory.

500GB hard drive aren't worth it, put the money into a 1TB SSD, go for an M.2 drive, they aren't significantly more than SATA drives. You can add a hard drive later.

Power supplies are rather low end, always want to spend a little here. Something like an Corsair RM 550.

As for your GPU plans, if you can get one or the other, it is decent for a light gaming system.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
^ I agree with Eximo in regard to the i5 and the better motherboard. It will age far better.

I wouldn't focus too much on RAM speed as opposed to amount and price. Intel doesn't take the hit that AMD does for slower RAM speeds. Go for more GB rather than more speed if you can find an option that fits.

Where I feel that a ~500 GB SSD (M.2 would be better) is plenty for your OS drive, I would recommend (perhaps later) considering a large-ish HDD for storage, games, and the like. One easy and inexpensive way to do this is to shop the WD external drives and "shuck" it from the enclosure.

On the GPU front would certainly consider trying to find something in the 16xx stable. The 3GB 1060 is a dog, was a dog when it came out, and certainly isn't going to be better with that low a memory buffer. If you have a line on something inexpensive-ish in that older 5xx realm, try to do the 580.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I've hit up ebay for a few people lately, the bottom has really fallen out of the market. Broken GTX1060 are selling for as much as $100...Either people aren't paying attention or there is someone out there hoping to fix and re-sell. Working ones are around $150-160, and a smattering of fakes mixed in. 6GB are closer to $200 on average. Might be better off with a 4GB 1050Ti for the money.

RX570 4GB running around $140-150, 8GB 570/580 going for around $220 it seems.

A few GTX1650 4GB for around $150, but more commonly in the $200 range.

Nov 30, 2021
try to do the 580.
Really! They are very expensive in our country.Also the used ones.But ,I found this ugly used graphics card for 180$ in alocal online store.

fitted.jpg

Nov 30, 2021
I've hit up ebay for a few people lately, the bottom has really fallen out of the market. Broken GTX1060 are selling for as much as $100...Either people aren't paying attention or there is someone out there hoping to fix and re-sell. Working ones are around $150-160, and a smattering of fakes mixed in. 6GB are closer to $200 on average. Might be better off with a 4GB 1050Ti for the money.

I live in sri lanka. So, I don't care about Ebay ,Amazon or any online marketplace like them. I'm still 15 years old. My parents don't like to buy anything from foreign online marketplace. IDk why they don't like it.

Anyway, These are the prices of mid end GPUs in our country.

used Radeon rx 570 4GB & 8GB - LKR.30000 - 50000 ($150 - $ 250)
used and brand new Gtx 1050 ti 4Gb - LKR.30000-65000 ($150 - $325)
used GTX 1060 3gb - LKR.45000 - 65000 ($225 - $325)
Used Radeon RX 580 4gb & 8GB - LKR.36000-LKR.120000 ($180 - $600)
Used or new Gtx 1060 6GB - not available @ all
Used and new GTX 1650 4gb & GTX 1650 super 4gb - LKR.48000-LKR.100000 ($240-$500)

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021

What planet are you living on man, those prices are scuffed. 1650 is $300+ rx 570 is $250+

If this is for gaming, are you looking at fast action games, or at more like strategy, MMO or sims?
For fast action, look for a good graphics card, for strategy games, look at a processor with good single thread performance.

If the price differential is minimal, get the non F version with integrated graphics to get you started.

In the US, the fractal design focus G is inexpensive:
https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-design-focus-g-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352069

4. Graphics card strength is reasonably balanced with the processor.
RX570 is about comparable to the GTX1060, but it will use more power.
My suggestion is to pay a modest bit more for the non F processor and defer your graphics card purchase.
The graphics card market is crazy now.

5. I3-10100 comes with a perfectly adequate cooler. And, avoid liquid cooling

6. On ram, 3200 speed amy not be possible, depending on the motherboard you select.
Look at the ram QVL support list for the selected motherboard. I think 2666 ram will be adequate.

7. A 500gb ssd is very good. I tend to prefer Samsung and intel for quality.
You may find intel 500gb 660P or 670P pcie devices to be reasonably priced.

8. What would the HDD be used for?
A small HDD is probably not worth it. Perhaps if only to store video files or backups.
A single 1tb ssd for the C drive would be easier to manage.

9. A well cooled pc will only need two 120mm front intakes and a single 120mm rear exhaust.
RGB costs more and you will tire of it soon.

10. I like the silverstone psu better.
Co not buy a cheap psu.
A top quality power supply is a long term investment. I would look for a unit with a 7 to 10 year warranty.
Seasonic Focus or corsair RM would be in that category.
Also, to allow for a future graphics upgrade, consider 650/750w. It usually does not cost much more.
A psu will only use the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capability.

As a first time builder, here is
MY build process:

Before anything, while waiting for your parts to be delivered, download
and read, cover to cover your case and motherboard manual.
Buy a #2 magnetic tip philips screwdriver.
I find it handy to buy a power switch like this for testing.
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168121..._switch-_-12-119-009-_-Product&quicklink=true
1. I assemble the critical parts outside of the case.
That lets me test them for functionality easily.
A wood table or cardboard is fine.
2. Plug in only the necessary parts at first. Ram, cpu, cooler, psu.
Do not force anything. Parts fit only one way.
Attach a monitor to the integrated motherboard adapter if you have one, otherwise to the graphics card.
  1. If your motherboard does not have a PWR button, momentarily touch the two pwr front panel pins with a flat blade screwdriver.
  2. Repeatedly hit F2 or DEL, and that should get you into the bios display.
  3. Boot from a cd or usb stick with memtest86 on it. memtest will exercise your ram and cpu functionality.
  4. Install windows.
  5. Install the motherboard cd drivers. Particularly the lan drivers so you can access the internet.
Do not select the easy install option, or you will get a bunch of utilities and trialware that you don't want. Drivers only.
  1. Connect to the internet and install an antivirus program. Microsoft defender is free, easy, and unobtrusive.
  2. Install your graphics card and driver if you tested with integrated graphics.
You will need to remove the graphics card later to install your motherboard in the case.
As a tip when screwing the motherboard into the posts, give the screw a small counterclockwise turn until you feel a click.
That lets you know that the screw will engage properly.
Make a note of how the graphics card latches into the pcie slot.
The mechanism will be hidden under the card and may be difficult to work if you have not previously checked how.
  1. Update windows to currency.
  2. Only now do I take apart what I need to and install it in the case.
  3. Now is the time to reinstall your graphics card.

Solution
Nov 30, 2021
T
I going use this for any kind of games except MMO games

Nov 30, 2021
Y

In the US, the fractal design focus G is inexpensive:
https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-design-focus-g-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352069

4. Graphics card strength is reasonably balanced with the processor.
RX570 is about comparable to the GTX1060, but it will use more power.
My suggestion is to pay a modest bit more for the non F processor and defer your graphics card purchase.
The graphics card market is crazy now.

5. I3-10100 comes with a perfectly adequate cooler. And, avoid liquid cooling

6. On ram, 3200 speed amy not be possible, depending on the motherboard you select.
Look at the ram QVL support list for the selected motherboard. I think 2666 ram will be adequate.

7. A 500gb ssd is very good. I tend to prefer Samsung and intel for quality.
You may find intel 500gb 660P or 670P pcie devices to be reasonably priced.

8. What would the HDD be used for?
A small HDD is probably not worth it. Perhaps if only to store video files or backups.
A single 1tb ssd for the C drive would be easier to manage.

9. A well cooled pc will only need two 120mm front intakes and a single 120mm rear exhaust.
RGB costs more and you will tire of it soon.

10. I like the silverstone psu better.
Co not buy a cheap psu.
A top quality power supply is a long term investment. I would look for a unit with a 7 to 10 year warranty.
Seasonic Focus or corsair RM would be in that category.
Also, to allow for a future graphics upgrade, consider 650/750w. It usually does not cost much more.
A psu will only use the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capability.

As a first time builder, here is
MY build process:

Before anything, while waiting for your parts to be delivered, download
and read, cover to cover your case and motherboard manual.
Buy a #2 magnetic tip philips screwdriver.
I find it handy to buy a power switch like this for testing.
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16812119009?Description=power switch&cm_re=power_switch--12-119-009--Product&quicklink=true
1. I assemble the critical parts outside of the case.
That lets me test them for functionality easily.
A wood table or cardboard is fine.
2. Plug in only the necessary parts at first. Ram, cpu, cooler, psu.
Do not force anything. Parts fit only one way.
Attach a monitor to the integrated motherboard adapter if you have one, otherwise to the graphics card.
  1. If your motherboard does not have a PWR button, momentarily touch the two pwr front panel pins with a flat blade screwdriver.
  2. Repeatedly hit F2 or DEL, and that should get you into the bios display.
  3. Boot from a cd or usb stick with memtest86 on it. memtest will exercise your ram and cpu functionality.
  4. Install windows.
  5. Install the motherboard cd drivers. Particularly the lan drivers so you can access the internet.
Do not select the easy install option, or you will get a bunch of utilities and trialware that you don't want. Drivers only.
  1. Connect to the internet and install an antivirus program. Microsoft defender is free, easy, and unobtrusive.
  2. Install your graphics card and driver if you tested with integrated graphics.
You will need to remove the graphics card later to install your motherboard in the case.
As a tip when screwing the motherboard into the posts, give the screw a small counterclockwise turn until you feel a click.
That lets you know that the screw will engage properly.
Make a note of how the graphics card latches into the pcie slot.
The mechanism will be hidden under the card and may be difficult to work if you have not previously checked how.
  1. Update windows to currency.
  2. Only now do I take apart what I need to and install it in the case.
  3. Now is the time to reinstall your graphics card.
Your recommendations & tips are very useful.Thank You.

Fractal design isn't available in here.
What about MSI Mag Forge 100M?
Is it good?
It has 2 ARGB fans as intake.
I like the MSI a bit better.
Liquid cooling is rarely needed unless you plan on high overclocks and need a 360 size radiator.
AIO coolers do not last forever.
In time air intrudes into the system and they need to be replaced.
And, while leaks are rare, they DO happen with disastrous consequences.