[SOLVED] Need help choosing a build

kostask5

Honorable
BANNED
Dec 10, 2014
So guys ive got two options upgrade my i7 4790 and gtx 980 4gb to a ryzen 3600 and an rtx 2060super gigabyte aorus and second one is a ryzen 3700x with an rtx 2070 super zotac twin fan.Both cpus will go on the msi tomahawk max mobo.So is it better to go with first build and save some money and upgrade in about 3-4 years or go with the more expensive stuff and upgrade in about 5+years?

Solution
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX This is the one im thinking about decided to go with b450 to save some money as i dont think x570 mobo is worth it.Could u also recommend any aftermarket budget cooler?Even tho i will propably dont do any overclocking in the beginning so the stock should be alright.

That's a nice & fairly cheap motherboard @ $99.99 USD. The reviews give it good marks too. It also supports fast DDR4 too @ 4133 (OC). Slap in a 2x8 FlareX DDR4-3200's and sweetness ensues. (My own personal pref on the RAM, as it's what I have in my own system and it's been absolutely great. Someone here may link to a better kit, but... :) ) I REALLY like the Bios update ability! If you get it and the 3700X...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
I'd go with the more powerful system NOW so that you could enjoy more NOW. 3700X & the 2070 super is a sweet combo. I've owned Zotac cards and I like them. I had good customer service with them as well.

Pretty much comes down to how much you WANT to spend, vs how much you CAN spend. The 2060 super is a great card in it's own right. The 3600 is a very nice chip as well. If you are saving a ton of money, then go with the cheaper build and upgrade during Black Friday or Cyber Monday.

kostask5

Honorable
BANNED
Dec 10, 2014
I'd go with the more powerful system NOW so that you could enjoy more NOW. 3700X & the 2070 super is a sweet combo. I've owned Zotac cards and I like them. I had good customer service with them as well.

Pretty much comes down to how much you WANT to spend, vs how much you CAN spend. The 2060 super is a great card in it's own right. The 3600 is a very nice chip as well. If you are saving a ton of money, then go with the cheaper build and upgrade during Black Friday or Cyber Monday.
Im saving about 200€ but i will propably go with the higher end build im just afraid that even if i go for r2070 super it wont last me that much.will the 3700x perform perfectly with the msi tomahawk max and will not require aftermarket cooler? Will its stock one be enough?thnx for the help

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Im saving about 200€ but i will propably go with the higher end build im just afraid that even if i go for r2070 super it wont last me that much.will the 3700x perform perfectly with the msi tomahawk max and will not require aftermarket cooler? Will its stock one be enough?thnx for the help

That 2070 super will easily last you 5 years. :) I bought a 1060 6GB on almost day 1 of when they were initially released (2016) and there isn't a game I can't run comfortably (Game everyday) and that 2070 Super can eat my card for breakfast & beat it up twice on Sunday. lol.. So, no worries there. The 3700X will last you as long, if not longer. Again, for reference, until last year (2018) when I was gifted a 2700X for my birthday, I was gaming on a 10 year old 1090T 6 core. AMD might not be the fastest, but they are like a Toyota. They last forever. The stock cooler that comes with the 3700X, called the Wraith Prism, works just fine, but if you plan on overclocking, then I'd advise a good aftermarket cooler, otherwise, you'll be fine. Please link to the exact motherboard you're looking at.

Enjoy!

Reactions: kostask5

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX This is the one im thinking about decided to go with b450 to save some money as i dont think x570 mobo is worth it.Could u also recommend any aftermarket budget cooler?Even tho i will propably dont do any overclocking in the beginning so the stock should be alright.

That's a nice & fairly cheap motherboard @ $99.99 USD. The reviews give it good marks too. It also supports fast DDR4 too @ 4133 (OC). Slap in a 2x8 FlareX DDR4-3200's and sweetness ensues. (My own personal pref on the RAM, as it's what I have in my own system and it's been absolutely great. Someone here may link to a better kit, but... :) ) I REALLY like the Bios update ability! If you get it and the 3700X does not work because it has an older Bios ver. from the factory, no worries. Get a USB & the newest Bios and Presto.

As for an aftermarket cooler, I'd stick with the stock unit that comes with the CPU until you are comfortable with tweaking your system. The same one came with my 2700X and it's just fine. However, if you want an aftermarket one, that's a hard one to answer and everyone and their mom will have one they think is better than the one listed in the previous post lol! Still, can't go wrong with a Noctua NH-D15. This brand knows it's stuff. For water cooling, I'd really stay away until you were very comfortable and had a good grasp on whats under your PC's proverbial hood. The Noctua I mention above kicks arse.

Don't ever go "budget" when it comes to cooling your CPU lol.. Either use the Stock cooler that comes with the CPU, or get a good, quality unit. :) Not saying the one above is the only good one, just one of the so called best. If not that particular model, then the brand itself.

Reactions: kostask5
Solution

kostask5

Honorable
BANNED
Dec 10, 2014
That's a nice & fairly cheap motherboard @ $99.99 USD. The reviews give it good marks too. It also supports fast DDR4 too @ 4133 (OC). Slap in a 2x8 FlareX DDR4-3200's and sweetness ensues. (My own personal pref on the RAM, as it's what I have in my own system and it's been absolutely great. Someone here may link to a better kit, but... :) ) I REALLY like the Bios update ability! If you get it and the 3700X does not work because it has an older Bios ver. from the factory, no worries. Get a USB & the newest Bios and Presto.

As for an aftermarket cooler, I'd stick with the stock unit that comes with the CPU until you are comfortable with tweaking your system. The same one came with my 2700X and it's just fine. However, if you want an aftermarket one, that's a hard one to answer and everyone and their mom will have one they think is better than the one listed in the previous post lol! Still, can't go wrong with a Noctua NH-D15. This brand knows it's stuff. For water cooling, I'd really stay away until you were very comfortable and had a good grasp on whats under your PC's proverbial hood. The Noctua I mention above kicks arse.

Don't ever go "budget" when it comes to cooling your CPU lol.. Either use the Stock cooler that comes with the CPU, or get a good, quality unit. :) Not saying the one above is the only good one, just one of the so called best. If not that particular model, then the brand itself.
Cause this ram is much more expensive hear im thinking of going for either G.Skill RipjawsV 16GB DDR4-3200MHz or Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-3200MHz will these work perfectly with this mobo and which would u suggest? Thnx so much for the help

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Cause this ram is much more expensive hear im thinking of going for either G.Skill RipjawsV 16GB DDR4-3200MHz or Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-3200MHz will these work perfectly with this mobo and which would u suggest? Thnx so much for the help

I'm partial to G.Skill myself, though Corsair is good as well. Between the 2, I'd still take the G.Skill.