[SOLVED] Need help choosing a desk.

Muath_

Honorable
Oct 18, 2015
This will be the first time I buy a desk. Ive been looking for a desk that has good length and depth for gaming/studying and I narrowed down my choices to these three.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CC1XKR...colid=3CFOGATJJ5Z83&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082HR526...olid=3CFOGATJJ5Z83&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KG67ZQ...colid=3CFOGATJJ5Z83&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1
People that have experience buying desks. Which one of these choices looks the most promising?

Solution
Getting "real measurements" is indeed problematic. How the product's manufacturers/sellers determine H x D x W varies.

Often measurements are simply cut and pasted from some similar product and likely to be in error or mismatched.

Sometimes you can go much further down the page as you can for the VASAGLE desk referred to by @Blackink and find "Customer Questions, Answers, and Reviews.

Other accessories are offered - a rolling file cabinet fore example. (Not a good idea to set a desktop on that....)

Anyway, you may be more information about actual dimensions and/or ask for them. Try contacting VASAGLE. (Email or chat to document what they tell you.)

Depth is definitely a problem.

Having the two small shelves may...

Ralston18

Titan
None of the three desks from my viewpoint.

Main problem - no storage.

Take a close look at the real measurements. For the most part the depth (desk surface distance from wall side to "you" appears to be very short. One desk measured 15" or so. (My desk is almost 29".) 15" will be cramped.

Pay attention to how any listed/display measurements were actually made.

Measure some desks that you like and compare those measurements to the desks being considered. Determine what measurements you prefer and require.

Note that for the first two desks that the wires/outlets etc. seem to have been "edited out" to make the desks look cleaner/sharper. They really will not look that nice in real room environment. (Such photo editing is not at all uncommon for just about any product.)

Where will your computer, printer, and other peripherals be located? On the desk, under it, beside it?

What is your budget?

For the most part you may be able to get by with two 2-drawer file cabinets with a simple 24" slab door as the working surface. Or perhaps a slightly marred countertop.

You may be able to get a more functional desk, with drawer storage, for less. And be able to place cables and wires out of sight.

Google "DIY home computer desks" and look for other ideas. Also check local thrift shops, Goodwill Stores, Salvation Army etc.. Office supply stores may offer a slightly damaged desk as a discounted item. Possibly just some cosmetic or minor functional issue. Something you can either ignore or fix.

Go to some stores as best you can (masked, socially distanced, etc.) and look at those desks and other desks. Pull up a chair and sit at the desk.(s) Reach around - does the desk feel roomy or cramped?

Look at the construction. How well is the desk built? Does the desk wobble? Do you have to assemble the desk yourself? Is doing that a problem?

Go beyond the "pretty pictures" and really look at your requirements and environment. Then make a decision.

Just my thoughts and suggestions.

Reactions: Muath_

Blackink

Distinguished
This will be the first time I buy a desk. Ive been looking for a desk that has good length and depth for gaming/studying and I narrowed down my choices to these three.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CC1XKR...colid=3CFOGATJJ5Z83&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082HR526...olid=3CFOGATJJ5Z83&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KG67ZQ...colid=3CFOGATJJ5Z83&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1
People that have experience buying desks. Which one of these choices looks the most promising?
The last desk is what my son purchased a few months ago. I helped him assemble it. The one thing we did add during the assembly was velcro strapping to help secure any wiring. It wrapped right around the 1" framing and it didn't affect the desktop assembling to the frame work.

He doesn't have a printer and his desktop PC, a newly built one with RGB lighting sets on top on the right side.
The shelving is what holds his modem and router.

Here's a picture of the desk:
View: https://imgur.com/a/gr7xk7S

We built it back in August of 2020, he's been working from home and he still likes it!!

Muath_

Honorable
Oct 18, 2015
None of the three desks from my viewpoint.

Main problem - no storage.

Take a close look at the real measurements. For the most part the depth (desk surface distance from wall side to "you" appears to be very short. One desk measured 15" or so. (My desk is almost 29".) 15" will be cramped.

Pay attention to how any listed/display measurements were actually made.

Measure some desks that you like and compare those measurements to the desks being considered. Determine what measurements you prefer and require.

Note that for the first two desks that the wires/outlets etc. seem to have been "edited out" to make the desks look cleaner/sharper. They really will not look that nice in real room environment. (Such photo editing is not at all uncommon for just about any product.)

Where will your computer, printer, and other peripherals be located? On the desk, under it, beside it?

What is your budget?

For the most part you may be able to get by with two 2-drawer file cabinets with a simple 24" slab door as the working surface. Or perhaps a slightly marred countertop.

You may be able to get a more functional desk, with drawer storage, for less. And be able to place cables and wires out of sight.

Google "DIY home computer desks" and look for other ideas. Also check local thrift shops, Goodwill Stores, Salvation Army etc.. Office supply stores may offer a slightly damaged desk as a discounted item. Possibly just some cosmetic or minor functional issue. Something you can either ignore or fix.

Go to some stores as best you can (masked, socially distanced, etc.) and look at those desks and other desks. Pull up a chair and sit at the desk.(s) Reach around - does the desk feel roomy or cramped?

Look at the construction. How well is the desk built? Does the desk wobble? Do you have to assemble the desk yourself? Is doing that a problem?

Go beyond the "pretty pictures" and really look at your requirements and environment. Then make a decision.

Just my thoughts and suggestions.

How do you look a the "real measurements" for these listings? None of these listings show 15" depth? I'm looking for a desk with at least 20-25" depth that's long too so I have enough room for 2 monitors and extra room for work.

I currently have my computer beside my desk on a separate small desk. If I were to get a new desk I will most likely keep using this small desk to put my computer on. My printer is in another room.

My budget is under $200. My current desk is a rectangular desk about 42" in length and 20" in depth. I'm pretty cramped and am forced to use a keyboard tray because I would have no room to work if I placed my keyboard and mouse on the desk. An L-shaped desk with like 60" length on each side with 25" depth would be more than enough room.

Do you have any recommended desks that I could just buy right now that aren't DIY? I currently am stacked with work and need a new desk soon. I have no time to browse stores or build one myself (It would take me forever since I'm bad at building things).

Thank you for all the suggestions by the way!

Blackink

Distinguished
How do you look a the "real measurements" for these listings? None of these listings show 15" depth? I'm looking for a desk with at least 20-25" depth that's long too so I have enough room for 2 monitors and extra room for work.

I currently have my computer beside my desk on a separate small desk. If I were to get a new desk I will most likely keep using this small desk to put my computer on. My printer is in another room.

My budget is under $200. My current desk is a rectangular desk about 42" in length and 20" in depth. I'm pretty cramped and am forced to use a keyboard tray because I would have no room to work if I placed my keyboard and mouse on the desk. An L-shaped desk with like 60" length on each side with 25" depth would be more than enough room.

Do you have any recommended desks that I could just buy right now that aren't DIY? I currently am stacked with work and need a new desk soon. I have no time to browse stores or build one myself (It would take me forever since I'm bad at building things).

Thank you for all the suggestions by the way!
Here's a link of the same desk from another supplier: Desk
Scroll down on the page and you'll see Weight & Dimensions, Specifications. Click on the drop down arrows on both and you'll get all the info you need.

EDIT: This is actually where we ordered it from - Wayfair.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Getting "real measurements" is indeed problematic. How the product's manufacturers/sellers determine H x D x W varies.

Often measurements are simply cut and pasted from some similar product and likely to be in error or mismatched.

Sometimes you can go much further down the page as you can for the VASAGLE desk referred to by @Blackink and find "Customer Questions, Answers, and Reviews.

Other accessories are offered - a rolling file cabinet fore example. (Not a good idea to set a desktop on that....)

Anyway, you may be more information about actual dimensions and/or ask for them. Try contacting VASAGLE. (Email or chat to document what they tell you.)

Having the two small shelves may provide for some storage but if (as shown in one photograph) you give up one shelf to hold the desktop. And not room there either.

You might be able to move your existing keyboard tray (or purchase another tray) to add to the VASAGLE desk or other similar desk that you choose.

Depends on both the thickness of the top and what material is being used. Particle board, for example, is very likely to start crumbling apart and the keyboard tray will fall.

Unfortunately I cannot immediately or fairly recommend any given product.

Is it viable for you to simply purchase a 48" x 24" sheet of clean, smoothed/sanded, plywood that you can secure to the top of your existing desk?

Do a bit more of finer sanding yourself then stain the plywood to match your settings. Add keyboard tray.

Edit - just noted @Blackink's update regarding desk dimensions.... Very good. Thank you.

Solution

Muath_

Honorable
Oct 18, 2015
Here's a link of the same desk from another supplier: Desk
Scroll down on the page and you'll see Weight & Dimensions, Specifications. Click on the drop down arrows on both and you'll get all the info you need.

EDIT: This is actually where we ordered it from - Wayfair.

Thank you so much for the link that shows the real weight and dimensions!

Having the two small shelves may provide for some storage but if (as shown in one photograph) you give up one shelf to hold the desktop. And not room there either.

You might be able to move your existing keyboard tray (or purchase another tray) to add to the VASAGLE desk or other similar desk that you choose.

Depends on both the thickness of the top and what material is being used. Particle board, for example, is very likely to start crumbling apart and the keyboard tray will fall.

Unfortunately I cannot immediately or fairly recommend any given product.

Is it viable for you to simply purchase a 48" x 24" sheet of clean, smoothed/sanded, plywood that you can secure to the top of your existing desk?

Do a bit more of finer sanding yourself then stain the plywood to match your settings. Add keyboard tray.

Edit - just noted @Blackink's update regarding desk dimensions.... Very good. Thank you.

I could look into buying a clean sheet of wood that I could just attack to my desk. I haven't thought of that. Thanks for all the help.