[SOLVED] Need help choosing the appropriate CPU for my work ?

Oct 18, 2020
My laptop had become very slow & sluggish & on the advice of someone I know, I purchased Lenovo Slim 5 Ryzen 7 4700U model for over $800. Only very recently I came to know that I overspent & a laptop under $500 or $600 would have also sufficed my requirements.

Now again I'm in need for a PC/Laptop for my office, but I'm very tight on budget as I already overspent during my last purchase. Hence kindly suggest me processor /ssd/hdd/RAM etc. The device will be mainly used for MS Office apps, submitting tenders & similar work. Will not be used for any gaming, video editing or similar heavy use.

I did some research on google & amazon. Now I have option of going for either Ryzen 3 3250 series or intel I3 10th gen (1005G1) or 11th gen (1115G4 ). But with the price of 11th gen laptop which is a minimum of $600, I would again have to over stretch my budget my $40-$60, so I'm not sure about that, but again at the same time I don't want the device to lag or to be sluggish with simultaneous use of 10 chrome tabs, several PDFs & Word files.

So kindly help me choosing processor(Ryzen 3 , I3 10th & 11th gen ) along with other important parameters. Again I can't have all I want as I'm very tight on budget.

Solution
For basic use, any decent laptop made in the last 6 years or so is fine. One of my favorites is the Lenovo T430 models, standard and the s, can be found for under $200 with a solid state drive and in good shape. No issues with reliability, I don't think I have seen any fail outside of being dropped. From what you said you were doing with it, you don't need a 500gb drive, 256 should be plenty, with an external drive for backups along with maybe using cloud storage backups as well.

Lutfij

Titan
What you're looking for is copious amounts of ram if you plan to have multiple tabs own in your web browser, not just focusing on your processor. At least 8GB would be what I'd look at but ideally 16GB is a good cut off point. That being said, you might want to parse some links to the laptops you've narrowed down. As a side note, we'll need more information from you. Please stylize your thread like so, with relevant information so we can tailor your answer better.

Mind you, I'm respecting this thread with regards to a laptop purchase since you've posted in the laptops section. If you need suggestions on a desktop(prebuilt), then you're going to have to recreate your thread and stylize your post differently for a system suggestion.

Oct 18, 2020
What you're looking for is copious amounts of ram if you plan to have multiple tabs own in your web browser, not just focusing on your processor. At least 8GB would be what I'd look at but ideally 16GB is a good cut off point. That being said, you might want to parse some links to the laptops you've narrowed down. As a side note, we'll need more information from you. Please stylize your thread like so, with relevant information so we can tailor your answer better.

Mind you, I'm respecting this thread with regards to a laptop purchase since you've posted in the laptops section. If you need suggestions on a desktop(prebuilt), then you're going to have to recreate your thread and stylize your post differently for a system suggestion.

Thank You for your reply, your suggestion for giving more importance to ram is well noted.
As for links, here are a few, but please note that I also visited offline stores from where I only have specifications & not the model name/number. ( 75 INR=1 USD)

HP 15s Ryzen 3 Dual Core 3250U - (8 GB/1 TB HDD/Windows 10 Home) 15s-GR0011AU Thin and Light Laptop Rs.39788 Price in India - Buy HP 15s Ryzen 3 Dual Core 3250U - (8 GB/1 TB HDD/Windows 10 Home) 15s-GR0011AU Thin and Light Laptop Natural Silver Online - HP : Flipkart.com

HP 15 11th Gen Intel Core i3 Processor 15.6" (39.62cms) FHD Laptop (8GB/256GB SSD/Win 10/MS Office/Integrated Graphics/Jet Black/1.69 Kg), 15s-fq2075TU : Amazon.in: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.in: Buy Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 3 10th Gen Intel Core i3 15.6" (39.63cm) FHD Thin & Light Laptop (8GB/1TB HDD/Windows 10/MS Office/Intel UHD Graphics/2 Year Warranty/Platinum Grey/1.7Kg), 81WB015JIN Online at Low Prices in India | Lenovo Reviews & Ratings

Also, another problem I'm facing is I'm unable to find 512 GB SSD(No HDD) & 8 GB RAM in a single laptop. Either the configuration is such that it has 256 GB SSD & 8 GB RAM or 512 GB SSD or 4 GB RAM or 8 GB RAM & 1TB HDD. So again I'm not sure how to procced here as well.

And below is the form:-

1. What is your budget?
$500-$600

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Any size above 14.4" will do.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

If same specs for both, then the one which is cheaper.

5. How much battery life do you need?

Not really a concern

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Not for games whatsoever

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

No.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
500 GB- 1 TB

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

flipkart.com
amazon.in

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

4 years min

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Not really.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't
Preference towards Dell & Lenovo as they have good service center support in my city.

13. What country do you live in?

India

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

The device is needed purely for office work, MS Office applications (Word, Excel), PDFs, & several chrome tabs shall be opened simultaneously.

For basic use, any decent laptop made in the last 6 years or so is fine. One of my favorites is the Lenovo T430 models, standard and the s, can be found for under $200 with a solid state drive and in good shape. No issues with reliability, I don't think I have seen any fail outside of being dropped. From what you said you were doing with it, you don't need a 500gb drive, 256 should be plenty, with an external drive for backups along with maybe using cloud storage backups as well.

Solution