Question Need help connecting CPU cooler on motherboard

Feb 22, 2019
Hi. I bought an Asus ROG Strix Z390-e Gaming mobo and a Master Cooler ML240R RGB cooler along with it. I'm confused on how to connect the fan & pump wires to the motherboard. I want to control the RGB fans of the cooler with my Aura software to change colors. Please assist me with clear step-by-step details. It would also be helpful if you could tell me how to connect the front I/O cables to my motherboard (especially the power cable). My cabinet is from Thermaltake View 32 TG model. Thanks.

Last edited:
Watch these videos
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6js0qho4x34

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4kmj24ZwWo

Take a look at page 1.20 on your manual or print this diagram to connect the front panel wires.
The power wire from the case should go on PWRBTN# (+) and GND (-)
r5pJ5tb.png

Last edited:
Reactions: lezly
Feb 22, 2019
Watch these videos
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6js0qho4x34

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4kmj24ZwWo

Take a look at page 1.20 on your manual or print this diagram to connect the front panel wires.
The power wire from the case should go on PWRBTN# (+) and GND (-)
r5pJ5tb.png
Thanks @jojesa. I understood the part about the I/O connectors. But, the videos for the CPU cooler installation was not completely helpful. Now I know that there are two wires coming from the ML240R RGB fans: one for power and the other for RGB; a separate wire for the COOLER PUMP. Now, I want to connect these wires to my Asus motherboard so that I can control them with my Aura software. So, how should I connect them (which wires goes to which part of the mobo)??

-You should connect the power wire from the cooler into the 4-pin AIO_PUMP header.
-Connect the two fans power wire together with the Coolermaster Y cable and connect them to the 4-pin CPU_FAN header.
-Connect the RGB wire from the cooler into the RGB header 1 on the motherboard.
-Join the RGB wires from the fans with the Coolermaster provided cable and connect the end into the RGB header 2 on the motherboard.
Make sure the RGB wires are connected in the correct orientation. The 12v pin 1 (+) should be aligned with pin 1 (+) on the motherboard.
If the Cooler Master is compatible with the Asus Aura software then you will be able to controls them.
Otherwise, you will have to connect the RGB wires to the Cooler Master controller and use their software.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2020
-You should connect the power wire from the cooler into the 4-pin AIO_PUMP header.
-Connect the two fans power wire together with the Coolermaster Y cable and connect them to the 4-pin CPU_FAN header.
-Connect the RGB wire from the cooler into the RGB header 1 on the motherboard.
-Join the RGB wires from the fans with the Coolermaster provided cable and connect the end into the RGB header 2 on the motherboard.
Make sure the RGB wires are connected in the correct orientation. The 12v pin 1 (+) should be aligned with pin 1 (+) on the motherboard.
If the Cooler Master is compatible with the Asus Aura software then you will be able to controls them.
Otherwise, you will have to connect the RGB wires to the Cooler Master controller and use their software.
Mah dude, you're a fu**ing life savior, I just created this account to be able to reach you out: THANK YOU, TY, TY!!! I can't TY enough for this.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
As you said, the two fans AND the pump unit of that cooling system each have lighting cables separate from their motor power cables. They all have lights of the plain RGB system type (12 VDC power, 4 pin connectors). That system should have come also with a 1-to-3 RGB Splitter so that all three lighting cables can be fed from one source header. When you use the mobo header to power and control thoes lghts, you do NOT need the small unit included with the AIO system. That is, the 3-button manual RGB Controller, its power input connection cable, or its 4-pin gender changer output port adapter. Just plug the female (4 holes) end of the RGB splitter into the plain RGB (4-pin) header located on the mobo bottom edge to the rear of the middle. Do NOT attempt to use the 3-pin ARGB header on the mobo front edge.