Question Need help-CPU overheating during normal use but BIOs reads cold

Dec 24, 2022
Built a computer a little over a year ago. Noticed some performance problems over the past month or so, but nothing serious figured it was minor nonsense. Computer worked fine last night, running things like warzone without issue.
This morning noticed heat throttling with basic functioning. CPU at 2%, at 100C. I shut it down, checked all the fan connectors (functioning properly), checked the pump connector (also ok), cleaned out dust and cleaned off then reapplied thermal paste. Loaded into Bios and it was sitting at 22C. All the fans were running in bios as well. Figured i fixed it, loaded back up normally and again heat throttled and temp up to 99C. Checked the heat on 2 separate programs, both agreed. Went into a UIEF boot and bios initially displayed 70C then went down to 22C within 15 seconds. I'm really not sure whats going on here.
I initially thought perhaps the sensors off, but i physically touched the casing to my CPU and burned my hand. Ive' got an AIO ML240 illusion coolermaster , the fans are running normally and touching the tubing there is a low vibration which i believe means its functioning. my MOBO is a gigabyte Z690 if that matters.
I'm not sure what to do here or how to further troubleshoot. all advice is welcome.

Dec 24, 2022
Got another cooler on hand? 'Cause that's the next best means to do it, short of feeling and confirming that both tubes are around the same temperature(specifically under load).
I've got a 10 year old dinky little fan cooler from like 2007. Youre saying I should try that out and if it functions clearly my cooler is dead?

Dec 24, 2022
1)Does this cooler have the necessary mounting hardware to install it on LGA 1700?
2)No, it does not mean the cooler is dead, but the fluid flow is restricted by organic/inorganic material.
1.unlikely. i would have to check the compatibility, but considering how old it is...
2. how would i unretrict the fluid flow. would shaking it around possibly solve anything?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1.unlikely. i would have to check the compatibility, but considering how old it is...
2. how would i unretrict the fluid flow. would shaking it around possibly solve anything?
1)You need a new cooler then.
2)Excluding the occasional dusting, they're otherwise intended to be maintenance free. A few models out there have EZ fill ports, but not this one.
Shaking around doesn't do much, as there's nowhere for the debris to go. It'll eventually strain the fluid flow again, if some isn't already stuck in the microfins on the other side of the cold plate.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)You need a new cooler then.
2)Excluding the occasional dusting, they're otherwise intended to be maintenance free. A few models out there have EZ fill ports, but not this one.
Shaking around doesn't do much, as there's nowhere for the debris to go. It'll eventually strain the fluid flow again, if some isn't already stuck in the microfins on the other side of the cold plate.