[SOLVED] Need help deciding on these 2 monitors 75/144hz with freesync or 144hz w/o freesync

Reiv_4

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
Hi, so i am looking to buy a monitor and i have seen 2/3 monitors that I'm interested in which are the AOC 24GU5/BK 75hz IPS freesync, there is also a 144hz version of the AOC monitor but its currently out of stock and there's only a slight difference in price on a site that i saw regarding the AOC monitors so i'd get either or but I'm unsure when the 144hz will be back in stock, or should i get the ASUS VG248QE FHD 144hz which doesnt have freesync. What monitor would yous recommend with my pc specs, i have a budget with around £200 but not any more than that, Thanks

heres the links to the monitors:

ASUS VG248QE 144hz: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-VG248...=gateway&sprefix=gaming+mouse,aps,153&sr=8-20

AOC 24G2U5 75hz Freesync: https://www.awd-it.co.uk/aoc-24g2u5...s-mprt-hdmi-displayport-freesync-monitor.html

AOC 24G2U 144hz Freesync: https://www.awd-it.co.uk/aoc-24g2u-...s-mprt-hdmi-displayport-freesync-monitor.html

My PC specs are

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
RAM: Corsair RAM 3000mhz 8gb
GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RX 580 8GB TOP Edition
MB: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming Motherboard

Solution
I'd highly recommend a Freesync monitor, it makes gaming smoother especially if you experience some FPS dips. The other major difference is the panel type, that VG248QE is TN while the others are IPS which have better colors. The only downside to IPS is that it can suffer from IPS glow which is prevalent when the screen is dark. How bad it gets is just random so two of the same monitor could have different results although the IPS monitors I've bought for myself and others have been pretty minor and if memory serves me correctly two were from AOC.

Between the 3 I'd get the AOC 144hz/Freesync and connect it via DisplayPort.

WildCard999

Titan
I'd highly recommend a Freesync monitor, it makes gaming smoother especially if you experience some FPS dips. The other major difference is the panel type, that VG248QE is TN while the others are IPS which have better colors. The only downside to IPS is that it can suffer from IPS glow which is prevalent when the screen is dark. How bad it gets is just random so two of the same monitor could have different results although the IPS monitors I've bought for myself and others have been pretty minor and if memory serves me correctly two were from AOC.

Reactions: Reiv_4
Solution

Reiv_4

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019

Okay thank you so much, i've watched reviews of the monitor and it seems pretty good for my budget, but i'll have to wait till they get back in stock before i can buy one, it sucks that it can suffer from IPS glow but i guess not everything is perfect, thank you again!

WildCard999

Titan
Okay thank you so much, i've watched reviews of the monitor and it seems pretty good for my budget, but i'll have to wait till they get back in stock before i can buy one, it sucks that it can suffer from IPS glow but i guess not everything is perfect, thank you again!
Your welcome. It's pretty much luck of the draw. My main monitor and laptop monitor are both IPS and have some glow but it's still worth it over TN (imho).

Reactions: Reiv_4

Reiv_4

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
Your welcome. It's pretty much luck of the draw. My main monitor and laptop monitor are both IPS and have some glow but it's still worth it over TN (imho).

Do you recommend any other monitors that have freesync, 144hz and hopefully is less than £200? im trying to look for more options cause im not entirely sure when the AOC 24G2U 144hz will be back in stock