Question Need help diagnosing sata problem

Apr 23, 2019
A friend of mines computer stopped working and through some trouble shooting we found the issue to be the power supply.

He ordered a new one and tried installing it himself, and he ran into some problems.

First we couldnt get the system to boot at all. We eventually found that if we unplugged the sata power cable it would boot into bios.

Through some more experiemtning we found the issue. The origional power supply came with one of those cables that has one sata power input, but multiple outputs, basically allowing you to daisy chain your storage device power. And I guessed that since the new power supply didnt come with any of these it maybe didnt support this. Sure enough when we individually attched the storage devices (hdd and ssd) it would boot into bios. Problem solved!! Or so we thought.

Now the bios wouldnt detect anything in its sata ports.

We tried reseting the bios, we did secureboot, we plugged them in individually, we made sure to enable sata ports in ahci mode (or whatever its called) and basically googled the sh*t out of it. Nothing worked

My guess is that since I was helping over the phone he forgot to turn off power before unplugging something at some point and fried something, maybe the sata controller. Obviously he would prefer this to not be the case, so basically we would like some experienced or knowledgeable person to tell us we are forgetting aomething obvious and solve our problems.

P.S.
Since I know somebody will ask for the pc components even though it wont really help there advice, heres my best guess considering its not,mine and its been several months since I built it.

GPU. Founders edition RTX 2080
CPU. Ryzen 2700x
Ram. 16 GB corsair vengeance 3200mbs
Mobo. Msi gaming x370 something or other.
Storage. Standard 256 GB SanDisk and standard 3 tb Seagate drive
Psu. 750 watt 80+ gold evga

Old psu. 850 watt 80+ gold.

My psu that we tested it on to make sure it was a psu thing. 650 watt 80+ gold

P.P.S
Also, no I dont have photos of anything.

Are both of those psu-s with modular cables?
Generally you can't use modular cables interchangeably from a different PSU model.

Use of inappropriate cables will result in damaged hardware.
I think - this is exactly, what happened here. Your sata devices received 12V instead of 5V and now are dead.

Reactions: Leacanov
Apr 23, 2019
Are both of those psu-s with modular cables?
Generally you can't use modular cables interchangeably from a different PSU model.

Use of inappropriate cables will result in damaged hardware.
I think - this is exactly, what happened here. Your sata devices received 12V instead of 5V and now are dead.
Thanks for the response, is it the hdd and ssd themselves, or the mobo sata controller?