Need help, dont know, whats wrong with my pc!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thapoop

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015
Hello!
I have been playing CS:GO (and other games) for a long time and from time to time, the fps of most of the games just reduce and I sometimes found a fix for it...
But now, i dont know what to do.
Here is everything I did (If I remember everything):
Defragging
Installing (and re-installing) the latest drivers for every component
Updating all important updates from Windows Update
Anti-Virus Progs did not find any malware
Buy new components (CPU, GPU, RAM, Water Cooling)
Using several "cleaning" and "tuning" tools (CCleaner, TuneUp)
and last but not least: Full Format of the HDD

I'm at the end of my freaking nerves and I would be glad, If some of you guys out there have a solution for it.

My PC Specs:
Intel Core 2 Extreme Q6850 3ghz * 4
AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB
ASUS P5N32E-SLI
6GB RAM
500 GB HDD
Corsair VX 550 Watt PSU

If I forgot something, then please tell me!
Thanks in advance!

thapoop

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015
Ok guys, i kinda fixed the fps problem. I put down shadows and the effects on low and put fps_max 100 in console. Now I can play Competitive matches very fluid. The fps are now between 70-100 ( sometimes it drops but its no big deal) But I still want to know, why I can't play it with much more fps. My friend has a worse pc and he reaches on everything low settings about 130 fps constantly. :/

Edit: The cpu loads sink to 40-60% when I turn off multicore rendering, but I lose fps, just FYI

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

Don't know his specs so can't judge.

After the reinstall of windows,did you install the motherboard drivers as well? Beginning with the chipset drivers,after those the rest.

thapoop

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015

No, because I did not know, the mainboard has drivers as well. But when I noticed, that I had some unknown devices in my device manager, it then installed the drivers for the mainboard. But what do you mean with the chipset drivers first?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

So they are installed now? After i asked that is ... if so did they make a difference?

When installing motherboard drivers it's best to start with the chipset drivers.

thapoop

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015

1.Yes, it kinda "unlocked" more fps. For example when I look at a wall at a small distance, I get much more fps than before. But when I look some like on dust 2 long (i hope you know, where this is), my fps drop down to 60-90 fps.

2.Uh, I really don't if I did that. Windows Update did that for me, so no idea sorry.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

Don't knwo where "that" is.You feel you have still issues looking at those fps? Don't know what they were.

Driver update was for the motherboard for sure? you could try and download the chipset drivers from the next link and install,
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5N32E_SLI/HelpDesk_Download/
choose vista 64bit,there are no drivers for newer versions of windows.

thapoop

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015

ok, I installed the chipset and went to a deathmatch server in cs and it felt smoother. but it still didn't go over 100 fps...About that motherboard update, where can I find it, so I can manually install it?

thapoop

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015

Well, poop :(
I played with the amd catalyst control center a bit and I can play csgo much smoother than before. I think I will leave it like that.
I have only one question:
What should I immediately do after I reinstall Windows 7? What is the most important thing to do?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

Drivers and updates.Drivers starting with the motherboard drivers,specifically the chipset drivers first,after that the rest.Only after that install the drivers for the gpu.

thapoop

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015

okay thanks for everything :)

thapoop

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015
ok guys... long story short: fck this pc. I reinstalled it, no fps gain.
Put new thermal paste on it, nothing, just a fckin wet fart
installed the chipset first, then the rest: computer says no.
I give up. I will save some money and buy a new pc.
Oh and it now even crashes more often than before.
My pc is just garbage.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
With a reinstall could you just try the chipset drivers and let everything else be run by the windows drivers.Of course will you need the gpu drivers for the hd 6950,i would try the 14.12 drivers for that,
http://www.guru3d.com/files-categories/videocards-ati-catalyst-vista-win-7.html

One thing i think not mentioned,your psu is getting old.Did you test with another one? Can you test with another one? Maybe from a friend or ...

thapoop

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015

Okay, but why 14.12 version?

About the PSU thing,I don't know, I dont think I can do that :/

thapoop

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015

ok, its installed.
But I want to know: Are the pc components really good or could there be a bottleneck?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Your current pc should still do fine for what you do with it.

This doesn't look that bad,but uses an already older cpu from the year ~2009.
The good thing about this pc is that it uses a gtx 970 and the cpu should be able to keep that running at full,might need an overclock for that,but doubt it.
The bad thing is that i don't see what psu is used.Looking at that low budget case do i hope he/she used something decent.

thapoop

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015

It uses a 600 Watt PSU.
But I actually meant my pc, if there could be a bottleneck, you know. :p

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
You could try to overclock the cpu you have,buy an 212 evo and see how far you come.Other option is to lower resolution played at and see if it gives more fps.

About that 600watt psu=which 600watt psu? Not every 600watt psu is the same.

thapoop

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015

600 Watt 12cm Super Silent, thats everything it says.
Other option is this PC:
http://www.amazon.de/Gaming-PC-Computer-Bulldozer-Octa-Core-DDR3-1600/dp/B00V3GDIPY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1444050902&sr=8-1&keywords=Ultra+4K+Gaming-PC+Computer+Bulldozer+Octa-Core+AMD+FX-8320+8x4.0GHz+Turbo%2C+Radeon+R9+290+X-Edition+4GB+DDR5%2C+1.5TB+HDD%2C+16GB+DDR3-1600+RAM%2C+Win7%2C+DVD+RW%2C+USB+3.0%2C+GBit+LAN%2C+Gamer-PC+%234854
I don't know if I should go with AMD CPI or Intel CPU with Nvidia GPU
This is, what it says for the PSU for this PC: 550 Watt 80-Plus Black-Power 12cm Super Silent.

My very last question is now, which pc should I buy?