[SOLVED] Need help finding best CPU for socket 478

• Thread starter Deleted member 362816
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 362816

I usually never ask question more often then not I answer them but this PC is OLD. I will provide as much information as possible.

Why do I want to do this- Doesn't matter :p

Desktop- Dimision XPS 1st gen 2003 --- Link to review of same system : https://www.anandtech.com/show/1195

Chipset - Intel 875P chipset

I just want to know what the best for time time CPU is that would work in this system - Please provide the model number or a eBay link please. I hear its a 3.4ghz p4 but I am having a hard time locating it.

I would be very thankful for this information.

Solution
The P4 EE is hard to locate but the 3.2 and 3.06GHz don't sacrifice much in performance and tended to run more stable, also the 3.4EE may have needed a bios update which may no longer be available

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
Even if you find one, it will be a laggard in performance...

I'd really recommend most folks abandon this ...nostalgia pipedream. :)

You wouldn't go ahead and call a C64 laggard, right? Since it's obviously not about raw performance, I'd save OP the exhortations to the effect that a 10th-gen Celeron will fly circles around anything from that era, CPU and GPU included, et cetera.:LOL:

EDIT: Speaking of Celeron...I wonder how many P4-era processors still for sale anywhere are not actually remarked Celerons, which in no doubt have retired in great quantity.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 362816

Thanks for the help. As for mdd1963 remark (I'd really recommend most folks abandon this ...nostalgia pipedream. ) It's something for me to do. I enjoy messing with these old systems. I was just curious about upgrade as I have never messed with the Dimision XPS line prior to this.

Thank you for the replies.

Reactions: JWNoctis