Need help finding replacement parts

Pauliega

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
Hi everyone,

Thanks to some significant damage during postage (snapped pci slot, bent graphics card, bent cpu cooling towers etc etc) and now I need help finding replacement parts for my pc so I can try and sort out the insurance and am after your opinions.

I need to replace my Gigabyte Ga-x58-UD7 Socket 1366 with something equivalent. I notice that these aren't made anymore so does anyone know what the new equivalent is or what would be a like for like replacement?

I notice the UD3R, the x58a-Oc and the G1's are still available in 1366 but it seems that the

I need to replace my HD 5970 - it appears that the HD 6990 is the only like for like (dual GPU) card on the market by ATI at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

AMD X6850

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
That damage sounds nasty. I would be mighty annoyed if I had a HD5970 and it got bent during postage. Lucky you have insurance =)

Is it possible for you to claim two graphics cards (2 6970s for example in CrossFire) which amount to a total less than the single one which got damaged? Cos it would offer greater performance as well and be easier to find.
Other than that, yes the HD 6990 is the only new dual GPU card from AMD. You might still be able to find 5970s around though but supply is gonna be very low.

The MB replacement I think is easy. The current equivalent would be the Gigabyte Z68 UD7 board.

The GPU is a little trickier. Do you replace based on it being dual GPU or just equivalent performance? I don't know the answer to that one.

Pauliega

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
Yeah I think the z58 needs a different processor and as I don't think the current one is damaged i wouldn't be getting the money from the insurance for a new one.

As for the graphics I was devastated when I saw the damage. It must have had some extreme downward force as it forced the screws loose where it connects to the case, bent the front face where it connects to the case, bent the pcie bit and snapped the pci slot. Even the CPU cooler which had two towers was bent downwards in addition to the cooler that was on the motherboard which was bent downwards.

As for the card replacement I was thinking the 6990 as it was the dual gpu replacement for the 5970 and still only takes up the one slot like the old one.

I wish this had never happened as I loved the setup I had and now i don't want to end up in a worse situation than before. Which motherboard to replace it with is causing me the problems.

Pauliega

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion of the ud5, but it's the model below what I had. I guess I need to find the new equivalent of the ud7 for insurance purposes as I don't want to end up in a worse position than I had been. Anyone had any experience with the g1 range??