str223

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016
Hey guys..
So this is my current specs:
Intel Pentium G3240 3.1 GHz
Nvidia GT 610
8 GB 1600 MHz RAM

I plan on upgrading my graphics card to Gigabyte GTX 960 4GB as I think it should be more than enough to play games on a 720p monitor (1366x768). I also plan on upgrading my CPU to an i5 4460 but here lies the problem. I cant upgrade my pc all at once since I'm on a tight budget and so I need help in deciding which parts to upgrade first. Should I buy the GTX 960 and pair it with the Pentium and upgrade the CPU a few months later? Or should I buy the i5 and upgrade my GPU later on?

Thank you

Solution
Honestly, on a tight budget if your goal is to play at that resolution you would probably be best served by a GTX 750ti. You would definitely not need to change your power supply and these cards cost about $80 less than the GTX 960. I would try this card first, and if it doesn't meet your needs they hold their value extremely well and you could easily resell on craigslist or Ebay for about 80% of what you paid for it - that's worst case scenario. You may like it so much you decide you don't even need to upgrade your CPU.

A lot of this depends on what games you want to play and how CPU dependent they are which could change my recommendation, but if you are gaming at 768p a GTX 960 4GB card is probably overkill.

Moazzam Saif

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014
I Would certainly recommend going for the GPU First.
Your current processor, although, won't be able to match the GTX 960, but it is an even worse match with a GT 610. I believe the Current GPU is bottle-necking the CPU a bit.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Going to depend on this system's intended usage. Personally, I'd probably wait until I could afford both. Given your monitor resolution, I'd probably drop the 4GB graphics card for a 2GB card and depending on usage, maybe even drop down to a GTX 950.

Additionally, you don't mention what power supply you currently have. Upgrading your graphics card may require you also upgrade your power supply which could alter your plans.

-Wolf sends

Rob PCC

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016
Honestly, on a tight budget if your goal is to play at that resolution you would probably be best served by a GTX 750ti. You would definitely not need to change your power supply and these cards cost about $80 less than the GTX 960. I would try this card first, and if it doesn't meet your needs they hold their value extremely well and you could easily resell on craigslist or Ebay for about 80% of what you paid for it - that's worst case scenario. You may like it so much you decide you don't even need to upgrade your CPU.

A lot of this depends on what games you want to play and how CPU dependent they are which could change my recommendation, but if you are gaming at 768p a GTX 960 4GB card is probably overkill.

Solution