[SOLVED] Need Help - Low FPS in all games

Oct 23, 2020
Just looking to see if anyone can offer a solution to a pretty big problem that I have been having. I have noticed that in games I can never seem to get above 40-50fps. The only games this isn't an issue for me is rocket league. Any other game be it Arma 3, Ghost Recon Wildlands or GTA 5 my pc runs very poorly. The specs are as followed.

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.40GHz
Motherboard: ASUSTek B150M-K
Memory: 16Gbs of DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070TI 8GBs

So far my troubleshooting has involved me switching games to my SSD which didn't help.
Updating Motherboard firmware and all drivers for the chipset, SATA, display and so on
Used multiple malware cleaners
Cleaned out any dust build up
Overclocked GPU which had no effect
Uninstalled and then reinstalled graphics drivers

Kind of at a loss as to what the problem is after spending the better part of 2 days working on it. Hoping someone can provide some insight as to what the issue may be. I also have a pc benchmark I did before overclocking the GPU which I will link below. Any other information I can add just let me know. Appreciate any help you can provide.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/34507066

Solution
Perhaps compared to your old system, graphics wise wouldn't be the same. If tried running with same settings to compare, you'll quickly find how much better your system is now. Also bare in mind, Gta 5 has had many updates over the years, it has become a little more demanding compared to years ago.

Ya might be interested in this video. He explains a bit about frame pre-rendering and how the cpu is involved. Just a bit of info that could help you understand how components work together.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Is this relatively a new system of yours? As in, just recently set it up? Just wondering, seeing results from userbench that the igpu is listed as being tested. Just want to make sure, and if this system is newish and you recently set it up, that you have the video cable connected to the 1070Ti and not the mobo (upper video port). Unless you're running multiple monitors. Igpu is by far inferior. You probably know this, but just checking.

Oct 23, 2020
Is this relatively a new system of yours? As in, just recently set it up? Just wondering, seeing results from userbench that the igpu is listed as being tested. Just want to make sure, and if this system is newish and you recently set it up, that you have the video cable connected to the 1070Ti and not the mobo (upper video port). Unless you're running multiple monitors. Igpu is by far inferior. You probably know this, but just checking.
Its not brand new but its no more then 6 months old. The BenQ monitor, which is my main monitor, is plugged into the 1070Ti with a hdmi cable.

Oct 23, 2020
Your monitor may be the bottleneck.
I have had it for quite a while now. It was fine with my old system but since I got this one all the higher end games I have, have struggled. I stopped playing games for the most part after I got it but the few times I have launched games like GTA 5 and Wildlands the fps was always low and never improved when I adjusted settings.

Oct 23, 2020
1080p 75Hz 1mS monitor https://www.centrecom.com.au/benq-2...HNKaa8xzArZxgYcdmde1vWtl9I5_lvgBoC6UkQAvD_BwE

What games and what settings?

Is your CPU and/or GPU getting hot? - what temepratures at idle and while gaming?

Have you tried changing game settings eg View: https://www.reddit.com/r/GrandTheftAutoV_PC/comments/6lxync/gta_v_online_high_end_pclow_fps/

Maybe GTAV doesn't like your low speed CPU.

GTAV, Ghost Recon Wildlands and Arma 3 are the games that have been having the problem. The only game that doesn't have any issue is rocket league
As far as settings I have tried them all from Ultra to Low and it doesn't effect the performance at all. Still sits around 60fps

My CPU sits around 65 to 70 degrees Celsius and GPU sits around 40 degrees Celsius

I tried a couple of the guides for GTAV to improve performance but none have an effect. That added with the fact I have the same issue with multiple games makes me think it has nothing to do with game optimisation.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah I use that plus I downloaded razer cortex just to try and it did nothing to help.

Check the quality slider in GE settings, it adjusts games accordingly. I dislike GE because it can often set settings too high, i never use it. Nvidia likes to ramp up eye candy. Settings like resolution scaling and too much antialiasing. Resolution scaling, ie rendering twice native resolution. Ghost Recon has a built in resolution scaler as well i suspect GE optimises and other games does it's own DSR. Check it out in Ghost and make sure res scaling it's set to 1 and not 2 or higher.

Could be wrong but I believe your fps issues is more to do with how games are being optimised and by how much.

Oct 23, 2020
Check the quality slider in GE settings, it adjusts games accordingly. I dislike GE because it can often set settings too high, i never use it. Nvidia likes to ramp up eye candy. Settings like resolution scaling and too much antialiasing. Resolution scaling, ie rendering twice native resolution. Ghost Recon has a built in resolution scaler as well i suspect GE optimises and other games does it's own DSR. Check it out in Ghost and make sure res scaling it's set to 1 and not 2 or higher.

Could be wrong but I believe your fps issues is more to do with how games are being optimised and by how much.
So I just tested out the optimisation settings in GE with Arma 3 and Wildlands. I put the slider all the way to the left for performance for both games. In Arma 3 I was gettings low to mid 60s sometimes hitting 70fps and for Wildlands it went to between 80 and mid 90s. So both games did see an improvement in particular Wildlands as I was getting around 50-60fps before. Whilst I'm glad about this I find it hard to believe my system cant run either game on atleast high-standard settings and get above 100fps. I'm surprised by Arma 3 as its a fairly old game, perhaps there is something wrong with how my pc is configured although I'm not sure what that would be.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Ghost recon WL i get between 60~ 80fps in 1440p with a 1080Ti, a little more in 1080p. It all depends on settings and view distances, shadows etc. 1070Ti isn't a bad card by any stretch, it's just WL is more taxing. Every game is different, never expect same performance as a game requiring less effort to run.

Oct 23, 2020
Ghost recon WL i get between 60~ 80fps in 1440p with a 1080Ti, a little more in 1080p. It all depends on settings and view distances, shadows etc. 1070Ti isn't a bad card by any stretch, it's just WL is more taxing. Every game is different, never expect same performance as a game requiring less effort to run.
Yeah ok, well that makes sense too me. I still wonder about Arma 3 and GTAV and why they seem to be performing so poorly but. Thanks for your advice thus far though.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
No problem. Same with gta5, view distances, level of details and how crisp objects are in the far far distance that really, you wouldn't even notice at all lowering it a bit. Also grass on ultra tanks performance too. I mean, do you notice high definition blades of grass when ya driving fast? Probably not but it's more rendering the gpu needs to do.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Maybe one day when you upgrade graphics card, you'll find all your games will run much better. It's just the nature of PC gaming and consoles too. A graphics card plays games well and then a game comes out that doesn't quite run as good. Cycle begins, upgrade, game runs good!, then a game runs bad, upgrade!. Man it took a few years before a graphics card was eventually powerful enough to run original Crysis properly. Now cards eat it for breakfast. But now Cryteck are revamping it lol, wonder how the best cards are gonna cope with it lol.

Oct 23, 2020
Maybe one day when you upgrade graphics card, you'll find all your games will run much better. It's just the nature of PC gaming and consoles too. A graphics card plays games well and then a game comes out that doesn't quite run as good. Cycle begins, upgrade, game runs good!, then a game runs bad, upgrade!. Man it took a few years before a graphics card was eventually powerful enough to run original Crysis properly. Now cards eat it for breakfast. But now Cryteck are revamping it lol, wonder how the best cards are gonna cope with it lol.
Yeah it really is strange how it all works. I use to have an i5 processor and a gtx 750 and it ran Arma and GTAV about as well as this PC so its weird. When I play Modern Warfare it runs it fine on fairly high settings. Could be the fact those games are older idk. I definitely need to update my monitor but.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Perhaps compared to your old system, graphics wise wouldn't be the same. If tried running with same settings to compare, you'll quickly find how much better your system is now. Also bare in mind, Gta 5 has had many updates over the years, it has become a little more demanding compared to years ago.

Ya might be interested in this video. He explains a bit about frame pre-rendering and how the cpu is involved. Just a bit of info that could help you understand how components work together.

Solution
Oct 23, 2020

Yeah okay, appreciate that.