[SOLVED] Need help --- PC is not turning on!

EmperorKai

Commendable
Nov 6, 2019
My pc was fine the previous night I played cyberpunk for 5hrs then shut down my pc and went to bed, The next morning I turn on my pc, it makes the sound but doesn't turn on, no display, I checked my display ports behind and the monitor to see if its alright, then I open my case panel to have a see.

Only the case fan and the CPU fan seems to be spinning and the GPU fan isn't spinning, I thought my GPU(RX 560) must have died.
Then I remove the display cable and plugged it into my Mobo display port My CPU is an APU processor(A10 5800k)and to my surprise, the results were the same even with my Integrated GPU my pc won't turn on.

Then I suspected my PSU(Thermaltake 550w) I removed it and used my old PSU(Valuetop Atx 500)which was still good and again the results were the same.
I clean my pc, applied new thermal paste, cleaned my rams(8GB ddr3) and switched ports, cleared CMOS, and also bought a new CMOS battery, again the same result.
so it's either my processor, my mobo, or the rams, or maybe I am missing something?

Before today I also faced some minor annoyance for few months, my pc would sometime randomly restart mid-work/game/browsing.my friends suggested it must be the windows got corrupted so reinstalled or update it occasionally then the problem would go away but it will still occur but a bit less than before.

P.S. My PC is very old about 7 years, but it was still serving its purpose well, played a lot of games with it, all this happen when I installed cyberpunk, did the game push my pc to its limits and hastened its inevitable death ?

Solution
tnx for the input.
wish I had another pc to test my GPU but as I stated the result is the same even with my integrated GPU.

what are the obvious symptoms of a dying motherboard?

I ran cyberpunk in low setting 1366x766 got about 25 to 30fps it was playable.
Did the game kill my pc? my pc looked fine the night before.

Well random reboots / unexplained instability is typical of a motherboard issue, especially if you have ruled out the PSU. I would suspect the board over the cpu - those don't tend to just fail, unless overclocked or subjected to serious overheating, however you've addressed that by changing thermal compound / cleaning out the machine.

As for if the game killed it - I would say kinda, Cyberpunk is a very heavy...
My pc was fine the previous night I played cyberpunk for 5hrs then shut down my pc and went to bed, The next morning I turn on my pc, it makes the sound but doesn't turn on, no display, I checked my display ports behind and the monitor to see if its alright, then I open my case panel to see,
Only the case fan and the CPU fan seems to be spinning and the GPU fan isn't spinning, I thought my GPU(RX 560) must have died.
Then I remove the display cable and plugged it into my Mobo display port My CPU is an APU processor(A10 5800k)and to my surprise, the results were the same even with my Integrated GPU my pc won't turn on.
Then I suspected my PSU(Thermaltake 550w) I removed it and used my old PSU(Valuetop Atx 500)which was still good and again the results were the same.
I clean my pc, applied new thermal paste, cleaned my rams(8GB ddr3) and switched ports, cleared CMOS, and also bought a new CMOS battery, again the same result.
so it's either my processor, my mobo, or the rams.
or maybe I am missing something?

Before today I also faced some minor annoyance for few months, my pc would sometime randomly restart mid-work/game/browsing.my friends suggested it must be the windows got corrupted so reinstalled or update it occasionally then the problem would go away but it will still occur but a bit less than before.

P.S. My Pc is very old about 7 years, but it was still servings its purpose well, played a lot of games with it, all this happen when I installed cyberpunk, did the game pushed my pc to its limits, and hastened its inevitable death.

It sounds like a faulty motherboard to me, it would be worth testing the GPU in another machine if you have access to one. The random restarts sound like the board was on it's way out - I am surprised you have got Cyberpunk to run on that setup as based on the recent reviews it sounds pretty heavy cpu wise.

EmperorKai

Commendable
Nov 6, 2019
It sounds like a faulty motherboard to me, it would be worth testing the GPU in another machine if you have access to one. The random restarts sound like the board was on it's way out - I am surprised you have got Cyberpunk to run on that setup as based on the recent reviews it sounds pretty heavy cpu wise.
tnx for the input.
wish I had another pc to test my GPU but as I stated the result is the same even with my integrated GPU.

tnx for the input.

Well random reboots / unexplained instability is typical of a motherboard issue, especially if you have ruled out the PSU. I would suspect the board over the cpu - those don't tend to just fail, unless overclocked or subjected to serious overheating, however you've addressed that by changing thermal compound / cleaning out the machine.

As for if the game killed it - I would say kinda, Cyberpunk is a very heavy load so will push the power delivery components on the motherboard hard, however as I say sounds like the motherboard was already starting to fail so any heavy gaming load would likely have done it. On the positive side, FM2 isn't a very popular platform so you can probably pick up a cheap second hand mobo to get you up and running again (either that or look at a broader update and move over to AM4 / Ryzen).

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The Thermaltake PSU is probably fairly low quality (there are a lot of models, not just "550W"), but your system doesn't use a lot of power. Incidentally, recycle that "Value Top" PSU as soon as you get an opportunity; it's a fake 500W (only 264W on the +12V rail) and missing basic protections. It's not the problem here, but you want to make sure to never use that.

I also suspect the motherboard is failing. You did kind of get a warning that there was a problem months ago but appear to have just waited for the problem to go away. PCs don't just randomly lose power and shut off for no reason.