Aug 12, 2024
Need help, I've been having this issue since a power outage happened. My pc would turn on and run for hours at a time but then randomly shut down. Sometimes it's up for 2 minutes - 8 hours. Full on turns off No BSOD, no error codes, Event viewer just says The Kernel Power event ID 41 which leads to absolutely nothing.

Things I've done:
- Replaced PSU, since it was a power outage I guessed my PSU was cooked. problem still persisted.
- GPU is okay it ran well and did not overheat at all, I play low requirement games. Heaviest game I play is Elden Ring
- Changed power sources [From a power strip directly to wall]
- Ran memtest, passed
- Ran a CPU stress test didn't turn off
- changed CMOS
- Reassemble the PC [Test benched it on top of mobo box]
- Turned off fast boot [recommended by a friend]

I got a spare motherboard since I'm building a PC for my sister anyway and tested if it would still happen on the new motherboard, It still persisted.
I have brought my PC to a nearby technician as a last resort. Will update regarding that but in the case that they can't fix it what do you think caused this problem? I am at a loss.

PC SPECS
aorus gigabyte b450 pro wifi [old board]
asrock b550m pro se [new board]
ryzen 7 5700x
corsair cx650
asus rx 6600
corsair vengeance 3600 x2 8 gig
samsung 970 evo 1tb

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"tested if it would still happen on the new motherboard, It still persisted."

Different motherboard but same PSU - correct? How old is the PSU? Specs?

What about the electrical outlet or circuit serving the PC's? Any surge protectors, power bars (did note you are using one), extension cords etc.?

Event Viewer is one tool. Another tool that is more end user friendly is Reliability History/Monitor.

Reliability History/Monitor presents a time line format that can reveal patterns.

Any other PSUs available? If so swap one of them in. Be sure to use only the power cables that come with the swapped in PSU.

Reactions: popsi1397
Aug 12, 2024
This:

"tested if it would still happen on the new motherboard, It still persisted."

Different motherboard but same PSU - correct? How old is the PSU? Specs?

What about the electrical outlet or circuit serving the PC's? Any surge protectors, power bars (did note you are using one), extension cords etc.?

Event Viewer is one tool. Another tool that is more end user friendly is Reliability History/Monitor.

Reliability History/Monitor presents a time line format that can reveal patterns.

Any other PSUs available? If so swap one of them in. Be sure to use only the power cables that come with the swapped in PSU.
- Different motherboard but same PSU - correct? How old is the PSU? Specs?

My old psu was just a generic psu from my prebuilt 550w [no name] current PSU is a brand new corsair cx650.

-What about the electrical outlet or circuit serving the PC's? Any surge protectors, power bars

the powerbar has a surgeprotector but its no UPS, the outlet here in our house is the standard 2 prong ones so I really had to use the powerbar. Tested it on multiple places in my house as well.

I'll look into Reliability History/Monitor in the case that the technician can't fix the issue.

I'll try and find other power supplies, but I really doubt it's the cause since the PSU I am currently using is a brand new one and the issue is still the same :/

Aug 12, 2024
- Different motherboard but same PSU - correct? How old is the PSU? Specs?

My old psu was just a generic psu from my prebuilt 550w [no name] current PSU is a brand new corsair cx650.

-What about the electrical outlet or circuit serving the PC's? Any surge protectors, power bars

the powerbar has a surgeprotector but its no UPS, the outlet here in our house is the standard 2 prong ones so I really had to use the powerbar. Tested it on multiple places in my house as well.

I'll look into Reliability History/Monitor in the case that the technician can't fix the issue.

I'll try and find other power supplies, but I really doubt it's the cause since the PSU I am currently using is a brand new one and the issue is still the same :/
I can't really provide or do an extensive test at the moment since I brought my pc to the shop.... :(((( hopefully they get it fixed and I'll update if they do

Just a thought..if you swapped mobos and it's not the same as yhe original, and youre using the same Windows installation that ran the old board, then you could see issues that may confuse your results. As it is, it does sound like some power issue

Reactions: popsi1397
Aug 12, 2024
Just a thought..if you swapped mobos and it's not the same as yhe original, and youre using the same Windows installation that ran the old board, then you could see issues that may confuse your results. As it is, it does sound like some power issue
I couldnt reinstall windows, I dont have a boot drive, I'm scared the windows recovery process of resetting the OS might get stopped halfway because it once turned off while I was at the safeboot menu. I live in a pretty remote area/rural and the only reasonable distance friend I have here doesnt have a bootdrive I can use. The technician did say they are using a fresh install. If that fixes my problem awesome ig. If not I guess I really have to look into more power related issue.