Need Help Picking a good GPU

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alleriaq

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: this week (the closer the better) BUDGET RANGE: about $340

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming Playing Starcraft 2, Dota 2 and League of Legends Mainly occasionally GW2 and Skyrim

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: my GPU is so outdated its not even worth mentioning, PSU 700W (new)

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: MOBO: ASRock G31M-S
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 8200
RAM: 4gb (not sure what brand)
Planning to eventually get newer components when i have the $$$

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Centrecom, Australia

PARTS PREFERENCES: Any Reliable brand/Card

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: whats SLI and whats Crossfire...

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440x900 i may be getting a new monitor soon with higher RES

What you end up with is a car going 100 miles an hour with no brakes it will hit a wall eventually. Basically what you end up with is a bottleneck something that holds you back because of your CPU's deficiency which is why I suggested something middle line because the higher end cards will need more CPU power to really boast there power.

Well i5's normally hover around 200-230 for the unlocked ones. And the lowest I've seen for the lower ones being around 170-180. The unlocked ones being more powerful of course. And you need to factor in motherboard cost I would say in the ballpark of 130 dollars plus ram 40 dollars for 8 gigs of memory. So given the higher cost of CPU 230 it comes to around 400 dollars for a system overhaul at the moment. Keep in mind this being in the states it costs a lot for components down under I hear you would also want a power supply so closer towards 500 I suppose then.

pit_1209

Distinguished

Rigth now your cpu will be a bottleneck but as you have stated earlier you will upgrade all of your build later so I didn´t complaint and the best part to upgrade in the first place is the gpu if you got a good PSu.