Question Need help prioritizing specs for new monitor

Marisiovic

Commendable
May 13, 2017
Hi!
Since a week I've been searching around for a new monitor. Since my birthday is coming up in two days, It's about time I make a decision... but I can't.
Out of all the specs of a monitor, I currently focus most on the following 5: Panel type, refresh rate, response time, resolution and size.
However, my budget is max. €300, but preferably around €250, this means I need to cut some corners on 1 or 2 of the aforementioned specs, but I just don't know which ones.

Currently I'm running a screen with the following:
-TN
-60Hz
-5ms
-1080p
-23"

Now I am looking for at least a 27" screen, but all the other specs I am unsure of. I think that I at least want 75Hz and 1440p (especially because I've heard that 27" and 1080P do not go well together). I don't care that much for response time (since I play competitive, but not serious in any way), but I do care for picture quality, so I think I'm leaning towards a VA or IPS panel.
I found the following monitor that seems very tempting:
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-V277U-FreeSync-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B07M9V8XNQ
The only problem I could find is that it is a bit notorious when it comes to dying pixels.

Lastly, I have a GTX 1050TI, which is not optimal for 1440p or high refresh rates, but I'm also looking to buy a monitor with the idea that I don't have to upgrade it as soon as I want to upgrade my GPU.
I play mostly e-sports games with some exceptions (borderlands, dying light, so 'older' AAA-games).

Now my question is: on what specs do I cut corners? Should I aim for 144hz, or should I not go for 1440p in the end, or should I focus more on actual colour quality instead of panel type?

I am just too confused at this point, and any help would be immensely appreciated!!

Edit: I do believe that the monitor I linked above "supports" G-sync, or at least it meets all the requirements to run in a stable way. And I think that G-sync compatibility could help a lot when I need to cut corners on some specs.

Well if you have a GTX 1050Ti don't even think about getting a 1440P monitor.

For 1440P you need at least a RTX 2070, the GTX 1660 and RTX 2060 will struggle with 1440P as will the GTX 1070.

So in short if you don't plan on upgrading the GPU to a powerful one stay with 1080P.

You are right in buying the best monitor that you can afford.
It will be with you for a very long time.
If you can see a monitor in person, that would be best.

With a GTX1050ti, you are not going to be able to run insane FPS levels.
What is your cpu? That may also limit your capability of generating high frame rates.

I like the idea of a larger monitor.
Have you considered something much wider which is more immersive for games?

You now have a tn panel which is good for fast action. But, you get a better image and 178/178 viewing angle with a IPS type panel.

g.sync and freesync are speed matching functions.
Today, nvidia also accomplishes a similar thing via triple buffering. I don't know that I would focus on such capabilities.

Looking around, here is a 32" QHD LG 75hz monitor that looks good to me.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0JC-000D-006N3

And... keep your old monitor as a side monitor for email and performance monitors.
The relatively static display will not impact your gaming.

Marisiovic

Commendable
May 13, 2017
Thank you both for your reactions!
Yeah I realized that a 1050 TI is not suitable for 1440p gaming.
However, I do have a need for a bigger screen for other uses as well, but I mostly want my pc to grow into my monitor. I don't want to spend money on a new monitor if I have to replace is as soon as I have a better videocard (because I don't want my videocard to be bottlenecked by my monitor.)
If I can't run certain games with 60fps on 1440p, I will change the in-game resolution to 1080p, it's going to look worse, but I am willing to make that sacrifice if it means I am not wasting money.

I just bought the Acer Nitro VG270U. Looks like a perfect screen to grow into. The only downside is that it doesn't have 144hz, but I can live with that. The fact that I have 30 days to return it if it is not satisfactory pushed me over the edge. I will just use the monitor and see for myself i it runs the games I play to my satisfaction, if not, I will return it and get a monitor with 1080p and 144hz.

I will update when I have had the chance to test everything since I have seen many people ask this question about a 1050 TI, and the reactions seem to vary a lot.