need help quick

assassin103

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
in installing my new FX-60 processor. i decided to use AS5 so i took off the scrapped off the thermal pad with a credit card and cleaned it with 91% alcohol. but it still looks dirty. my question is how clean does it have to be. i dont want to damage it but i also want to do it right.

thanks in advanve

DukeDave

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
When I am cleaning thermal compound off a cpu, I consider myself finished if I can rub my finger on the surface and it is not sticky and feels like bare metal, I wouldn't be too worried about it being stained. I then clean it again with the preferred solvent and apply my compound.

Make sure you don't use too much.

assassin103

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
well i scrubbed it and scrubbed it with a coffee filter and alcohol and its not getting any cleaner. does that stuff stain?

Don't worry about it (my Korean friend's favorite phrase). Seriously, if you want to clean it off, use a mild solution of liquid handsoap. But it's really not necessary. Discoloration is normal. You're going to discolor it alot when you apply thermal paste.

assassin103

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
ok well i did it. damn this sh*t makes me nervous. so now my processor is idling at 41f deg. is this normal for a fx-60. it is running at 260x10=2600mhz. what is normal idle and load temps for this processor.

p.s sorry for all the noob questions. ive been dealing with computers for a long time but when it comes to expensive parts i tent to get nervous.

If your processor is idling around 41F, and you're still worried, you need to be inducted into the Cooling Hall of Fame. If you really mean 41C, you've got nothing much to worry about.

Temps aren't really a problem until they start hitting around 70C. You're in the correct range for your chip. If its still bothering you though, remove your HSF, apply a thin layer of AS5 or your desired TIM, reapply the cooler, and wait for the AS5 to break in, in say, a 100 hours or so. Then run Prime95 in torture mode. That's how I do it.

assassin103

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
ya i meant 41c i did use AS5 but as always i worried i didnt do it quite right. i guess i run the hell out of it and see what happens

everett

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2004
Not sure if this is a sticky(it will be soon) but there has been a thermal compound shootout, the and a few other guy's that are in the know,are working on.

ask dasick for more info :wink:

assassin103

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
well i tired to run super pi and it crashed 8O . but now im running prime95 and its running fine. what the f is going on here. i dont have the cpu oc'd and i ran super pi at 260fsb before i installed the new processor and it was fine.