Question Need help regarding Editing softwares ( PC Issue )

Jul 29, 2024
Hey there guys, It's my first post on Tom's hardware so I'm sorry if I'm posting it in the wrong section.

So , The thing is I bought a PC 4 months ago and the Computer Specifications are :

CPU : Core i5 12400f
Motherboard : PRO H610M-E DDR4 Lightning Gen 4
GPU : ASUS DUAL RTX 3060 Ti 8GB
RAM : XPG 32gb RAM ( Single Stick )
PSU : Aerocool LUX 550W 80 Plus Bronze
Storage : 2TB SSD ( Forgot about the brand ._. )
Cooler : IDE Cooling SE-903 XT

These are the specifications of the computer and I'm a full time video editor , I mostly edit 1080p videos and sometimes 4k in which I do not use alot of effects. The problem I'm facing is that many people on the internet says this is the best pc for intermediate level editing while I face problems even while editing in 1080p , A simple masking in 1080p footage makes my pc lag as hell and The renderning time is peak slow , Even if I use GPU accelerated effects I see enormous lag and late renderning times , I never encountered problems while editing before in a I5 3rd gen and 1050ti , this pc seems to struggle more than that which worries me alot what might be the actual Problem , So If anyone has any idea what may be inflicting such lag on my softwares than I'd be really grateful. Thank you!

kanewolf

Titan
Hey there guys, It's my first post on Tom's hardware so I'm sorry if I'm posting it in the wrong section.

So , The thing is I bought a PC 4 months ago and the Computer Specifications are :

CPU : Core i5 12400f
Motherboard : PRO H610M-E DDR4 Lightning Gen 4
GPU : ASUS DUAL RTX 3060 Ti 8GB
RAM : XPG 32gb RAM ( Single Stick )
PSU : Aerocool LUX 550W 80 Plus Bronze
Storage : 2TB SSD ( Forgot about the brand ._. )
Cooler : IDE Cooling SE-903 XT

These are the specifications of the computer and I'm a full time video editor , I mostly edit 1080p videos and sometimes 4k in which I do not use alot of effects. The problem I'm facing is that many people on the internet says this is the best pc for intermediate level editing while I face problems even while editing in 1080p , A simple masking in 1080p footage makes my pc lag as hell and The renderning time is peak slow , Even if I use GPU accelerated effects I see enormous lag and late renderning times , I never encountered problems while editing before in a I5 3rd gen and 1050ti , this pc seems to struggle more than that which worries me alot what might be the actual Problem , So If anyone has any idea what may be inflicting such lag on my softwares than I'd be really grateful. Thank you!
Your biggest problem is the single stick of RAM. You only have 1/2 the memory bandwidth your CPU can have. Replace the RAM with either a matched set ot 2x16GB or 2x32GB.
You might have a disk bandwidth issue. A second SSD for scratch would probably help.

Reactions: helper800
Jul 29, 2024
Your biggest problem is the single stick of RAM. You only have 1/2 the memory bandwidth your CPU can have. Replace the RAM with either a matched set ot 2x16GB or 2x32GB.
You might have a disk bandwidth issue. A second SSD for scratch would probably help.
Well can you elaborate more of the disk bandwith issue? as for the SSD I've two more SSDS one is a Lexar 128 GB while other is a from a local brand known as Focal which is 256 gb , I've like 3 SSD's installed on my computer

kanewolf

Titan
Well can you elaborate more of the disk bandwith issue? as for the SSD I've two more SSDS one is a Lexar 128 GB while other is a from a local brand known as Focal which is 256 gb , I've like 3 SSD's installed on my computer
You did not list any of those. If you have all SATA SSDs then moving some of the disk activity to different physical disks can be beneficial.

Jul 29, 2024
You did not list any of those. If you have all SATA SSDs then moving some of the disk activity to different physical disks can be beneficial.
Sorry for that , I thought It wouldn't be that important but That still won't be that beneficial aur boost my performance to a level which this pc should actually do , what do you think is the real problem is it my hardware or software related?

kanewolf

Titan
Sorry for that , I thought It wouldn't be that important but That still won't be that beneficial aur boost my performance to a level which this pc should actually do , what do you think is the real problem is it my hardware or software related?
I believe your biggest problem is the single stick of RAM. That was my first statement in my first post. You need to get a matched set of either 2x16GB or 2x32GB so that your CPU has the memory bandwidth to move data efficiently.

What about the CPU? do you think it's good enough for editing or does it need some improvement too?
A stronger CPU could help, but until we know exactly what program you use to edit in we cannot say much with any confidence. That PSU is also complete junk and needs to be replaced ASAP before it kills your PC. The lowest cost replacement at the moment that is a good PSU would be this. To be clear, this PSU will not increase your performance. I would say the same as Kanewolf, get a 2x16 or 2x32gb kit of RAM.

USAFRet

Titan
If all you have is the single SSD, get a couple of others. My system has 6x, different functions for each.

But for you....
1 - OS and applications.
2 - Your video projects, both in work and completed,
3 - Scratch space for your editing applications.

Spread the workload.

When you say "The renderning time is peak slow"...how slow is slow?

Jul 29, 2024
A stronger CPU could help, but until we know exactly what program you use to edit in we cannot say much with any confidence. That PSU is also complete junk and needs to be replaced ASAP before it kills your PC. The lowest cost replacement at the moment that is a good PSU would be this. To be clear, this PSU will not increase your performance. I would say the same as Kanewolf, get a 2x16 or 2x32gb kit of RAM.
Well , I use Adobe Premiere pro and Adobe After effects.
If all you have is the single SSD, get a couple of others. My system has 6x, different functions for each.

But for you....
1 - OS and applications.
2 - Your video projects, both in work and completed,
3 - Scratch space for your editing applications.

Spread the workload.

When you say "The renderning time is peak slow"...how slow is slow?
Well , Like I said I've 3 different SSDS in which Softwares are installed in the C drive ( 2tb ssd ) while assets and other things are in separate SSDS and The rendering time in davinci resolve which uses GPU is about a minute max for heavily graded footage while in Premiere a bunch of effects in a vertical video takes around 10 minute , Yesterday I exported a 1080 x 1920 footage in premiere which took around 15 minutes for a 1 minute video , I wasn't even heavy on effects on it just some basic Blur and Transform effects.

USAFRet

Titan
Well , Like I said I've 3 different SSDS in which Softwares are installed in the C drive ( 2tb ssd ) while assets and other things are in separate SSDS and The rendering time in davinci resolve which uses GPU is about a minute max for heavily graded footage while in Premiere a bunch of effects in a vertical video takes around 10 minute , Yesterday I exported a 1080 x 1920 footage in premiere which took around 15 minutes for a 1 minute video , I wasn't even heavy on effects on it just some basic Blur and Transform effects.
Oh, I didn't see the other drives in your OP.
Where is the DaVinci and Premier scratch space located?

For me, in VideoStudio from Corel, rendering a 10 minute video takes about 23 mins.
Merging 2x 5 min vids, with some effects applied.

Jul 29, 2024

For me, in VideoStudio from Corel, rendering a 10 minute video takes about 23 mins.
It's in the C drive aswell , default location , It's a 2TB ssd and I've only softwares installed in it like , PR , AE , Davinci and Photoshop , there is like 1tb or 700gb space still left in it

Jul 29, 2024

Well my premiere used to be the just same it quickly exported every video , ever since I sold my GTX 1660 Ti i'M Facing this issue IDK what's the reason behind it