[SOLVED] Need help removing screws from server hard drive caddy

Solution
WAIT!! In the photos you posted there are six obvious screws with Torx heads around the periphery of the silver metal lid on the HDD. DO NOT! remove any of those! Those do not fasten the HDD to the tray. They are just the cover of the HDD itself.

Look more closely at the tray, and try to find how it really is connected to the HDD unit. On any HDD, the mounting holes are on the SIDES of the HDD chassis, so look there.

Now, IF that really is where you're talking about and the screws in the sides have star-shaped Torx sockets, you need to realize that Torx comes in many sizes, and you need to find a screwdriver with the right size.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
WAIT!! In the photos you posted there are six obvious screws with Torx heads around the periphery of the silver metal lid on the HDD. DO NOT! remove any of those! Those do not fasten the HDD to the tray. They are just the cover of the HDD itself.

Look more closely at the tray, and try to find how it really is connected to the HDD unit. On any HDD, the mounting holes are on the SIDES of the HDD chassis, so look there.

Now, IF that really is where you're talking about and the screws in the sides have star-shaped Torx sockets, you need to realize that Torx comes in many sizes, and you need to find a screwdriver with the right size.

Solution
Aug 18, 2019
Thank you very much everyone. It appears to be a torx screw. And thank you, I meant to say I would only remove the screws from the side of the drive, not on its top. I will buy the T15 torx screwdriver. But how do I know what size screwdriver? Is there a standard hard drive screw size? Do I have to buy a set? Or could I measure it somehow with a ruler? I have a set of computer screwdrivers but the one which I own which looked like a torx was too small and didn’t unscrew the screw at all.

Thank you again in advance, I really appreciate it!!!

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You have a photo of the drive in a caddy, and it appears it is not installed in anything. Just put it in a bag and carry with you to the hardware store. Use it to test which size fits just right. Then decide whether you need one screwdriver, or a set.

Aug 18, 2019
Thank you everyone I was able to remove the drive from the caddy. Now I am having trouble connecting it. I have the big connector (power cable?) but I am missing the small cable next to it (sata data cable?). Does this mean I can buy a sata data cable? Is there a standard such cable? And how would I know if my motherboard has space for another Sata connection? I currently have a DVD drive and another hard drive installed (I am now installing a second hard drive). The motherboard model is Asrock H110M-HDS LGA 1151. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you!!!

SATA cables are completely standard, you can get them with 90 or 180 degree ends and with metal or plastic latches. If you follow your present cables down to the motherboard you should see it has 4 ports there with two of them used.

But are you sure you don't have a SAS drive?

Aug 18, 2019
Thank you, you were right. It was the SATA data cable. I unplugged it from my DVD drive temporarily and plugged it into the hard drive and it worked. I’ll just buy an extra SATA data cable to replace for my DVD drive.

Thank you thank you for all of your help everyone!!!!