Question Need help restoring the partition on my WD 8TB My Book.

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Without any noises or fan fair, my 8TB stopped being recognized by my PC. At first the HDD didn't show up at all, but after a few reboots it did. In disk management it showed as not initialized and unallocated, with no partition.

I think this is a corrupted MBR or whatever they use for 8TB drives. This is a non-boot drive for holding files. It's still in its housing and has always been a USB attached drive with 1 large partition.

I still don't know why the drive is now showing up in disk management when all I did was a typical reboot. /shrug

What's the best way to go about diagnosing/confirming & fixing this? I'm hoping that file recovery won't be needed if the drive's MBR got partially corrupted.

Win 10 64bit Pro

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Other disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

= = = =

Unfortunately anything you do could cause data loss or further data loss.

Start by posting a screenshot of the Disk Management screen. Expand the screen so all can be seen and then post the full image here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Is that WD 8TB My Book using only host USB power or does the My Book have its' own independent power supply? The images I found appear to show just host USB power.....

More information needed.