Question Need help sorting out a glitch on an older laptop

Jun 22, 2024
So, the laptop is an HP Omen Pro laptop. (This exact model: https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Omen-Pro-15-Workstation-Review.146160.0.html) it's pretty old at this point, but I don't game on it, it has enough power for my CAD needs, and I mostly just use it for web browsing, email, and YouTube on a second monitor.

Anyway, I'm getting this randomly occurring glitch. The computer will "hitch" or stutter for a second or two, then I'll lose my internet connection. Wifi or with USB tethering. Haven't tried ethernet. Sometimes the internet connection will come back on it's own, but usually I have to use the troubleshooter. Most of the time it resets the wifi adapter. So, the wifi card. Trying to use USB tethering, the connection will reset pretty frequently. I'll plug it and it'll call it network connection 1, then after a few hours, it'll be network connection 5 or 6.

Bad WiFi card? I have another one I could swap in.

My initial thought was maybe a bad CMOS battery, but I didn't see one on the motherboard.

It's still very usable, it's just a slight annoyance every once in a while.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Haven't tried ethernet.
That's one thing you should do, is to see if you suffer from a similar hiccups while on Ethernet. Did you check to see if your BIOS is pending an update? Doe you see anything flagged with a yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager?

My initial thought was maybe a bad CMOS battery, but I didn't see one on the motherboard.
If you genuinely don't see a CMOS battery/CR2032 button cell, then you can disconnect the battery from the laptop and press and hold down the power button for 390 secs, then reseat the battery after 230 mins, that usually clears the CMOS.

Jun 22, 2024
Thank-you! I'll give that a shot this evening. I've been dealing with computers for decades and this is the first laptop I've dealt with (to the best of my recollection) that has no apparent CMOS battery on the mobo. I'm wondering if it's incorperated nto the battery pack. The battery pack isn't accessible without opening the laptop up, so it's not like someone is going to be hot swapping batteries.

I'll try out ethernet this evening. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary in device manager or the BIOS. I'll double check, though.

For what it's worth, I also have EXTREMELY slow internet. I just ran Ookla speed test and it says 0.8mbps down, 0.6 up... getting 1 gig fiber installed right now.

Last edited: