Question Need help troubleshooting and resolving High latency issues

Aug 4, 2024
Ive run many wifi tests and ipconfig routines multiple occasions but i cant seem to find the problem Ive had the problem for so long i have just bought the TP Link Archer T2U Nano and even still the problem persists my PC has only just recently had these problems ive run windows diagnostic and it seems to fix the problem for around 10 seconds or so and then goes back to normal ill be playing games or any wifi intense task and my upload latency will just spike to around 200-300ms or higher and i cant seem to fix it
My system specs are:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.19045 Build 19045
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor, 3400 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P10.08, 19/01/2024
BaseBoard Product B450M Pro4
Im convinced its a hardware issue because i recently installed a new fibre broadband router with EE and the download speeds are up to 110 with around 30ms latency and the upload peaks at 29 with latency of 200-300
I want to note im not very savvy when it comes to internet issues so a lot of things i wont understand as well
https://www.speedtest.net/result/16581682922

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2024
Make and model information for modem and router(s)?

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Copy and paste the full results in a post.
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-N90LMAC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : lan

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 70-85-C2-B3-17-E9
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #3
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : DA-44-89-5B-72-C7

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #4
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D8-44-89-5B-72-C7

Wireless LAN adapter WiFi 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TP-Link Wireless Nano USB Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D8-44-89-5B-72-C7
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2a00:23c8:d503:2200:9636:89fd:3374:fc79(Preferred)
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : fd78:4c15:7f9d:0:85f1:3a84:e053:89b0(Preferred)
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2a00:23c8:d503:2200:3426:9e48:1ca8:8ec5(Preferred)
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : fd78:4c15:7f9d:0:3426:9e48:1ca8:8ec5(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3863:84a3:cb4e:9682%4(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.179(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 04 August 2024 15:49:08
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 05 August 2024 15:49:13
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::ba6a:f1ff:fea0:d5e0%4
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 366494857
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-2E-40-5E-71-70-85-C2-B3-17-E9
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ralston18

Titan
Wireless connection: no Ethernet cables to modem or router - correct?

From "ipconfig /all"

The computer is requesting a DHCP IP addresss from the router at 192.168.1.254 and (at the time ipconfig was run) had been provided the DHCP IP address of 192.168.1.179

Quite normal for private networks and that IP address range is used by thousands of networks.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-private-ip-address-2625970

What you do not want to reveal is the Public IP address. You can find yours using "What is my IP?"

Do not post that address.

= = = =

Things to do:

Use a USB extension cable to move the wireless TP-Link Wireless Nano USB Adapter up and away from the host USB port.

Doing so should improve transmission and reception plus keep the wireless adapter cooler. They can get quite hot and even more so with use and age. Performance falters and fails.

Disable IPv6.

Change the DNS server to Google at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Aug 4, 2024
Wireless connection: no Ethernet cables to modem or router - correct?

From "ipconfig /all"

The computer is requesting a DHCP IP addresss from the router at 192.168.1.254 and (at the time ipconfig was run) had been provided the DHCP IP address of 192.168.1.179

Quite normal for private networks and that IP address range is used by thousands of networks.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-private-ip-address-2625970

What you do not want to reveal is the Public IP address. You can find yours using "What is my IP?"

Do not post that address.

= = = =

Things to do:

Use a USB extension cable to move the wireless TP-Link Wireless Nano USB Adapter up and away from the host USB port.

Doing so should improve transmission and reception plus keep the wireless adapter cooler. They can get quite hot and even more so with use and age. Performance falters and fails.

Disable IPv6.

Change the DNS server to Google at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
ive done the last 2 options and its not really changed anything with the upload speed only made the download significantly faster
https://www.speedtest.net/result/16582011234

Aug 4, 2024
Wifi is a very bad choice for gaming,

and you purchased a tiny nano wifi adapter?

You are looking for trouble yourself.
the wifi in my home has never really been an issue when gaming i usually average around 30-60ms but recently its been a problem i dont really have the capability to run ethernet

Ralston18

Titan
Try the extension cable.

And before the next boot (after the computer has cooled down) check the nano adapter. Should not be warm or hot.

After some use, carefully check again. They can and do get quite hot. My Linksys wireless adapter could and did get quite hot sometimes. Especially before failing.

The lost speeds may be due to the adapter degrading from heat and pending failure.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Usually it's your wifi, dns server or traffic jam anywhere on the route.
You have no way to fix anything that's not under your control, obviously.

Use Network Traffic View to find the game server IP (usually with most data size) when you are playing

Then do a tracert to your game server to get all IP addresses for each hop / node

Input all ip addresses + dns ip address into Ping info View tool, set ping interval and see the result
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/multiple_ping_tool.html

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2024
Try the extension cable.

And before the next boot (after the computer has cooled down) check the nano adapter. Should not be warm or hot.

After some use, carefully check again. They can and do get quite hot. My Linksys wireless adapter could and did get quite hot sometimes. Especially before failing.

The lost speeds may be due to the adapter degrading from heat and pending failure.
i doubt its the adapter as i literally got it around 5 hours ago and was the same with my old adapter but the extension cable i dont understand could you link a video or a guide

Aug 4, 2024
Usually it's your wifi, dns server or traffic jam anywhere on the route.
You have no way to fix anything that's not under your control, obviously.

Do a tracert to your game server to get all IP addresses for each hop / node

Use Network Traffic View to find the game server IP (usually with most data size) when you are playing

Input all ip addresses + dns ip address into Ping info View tool
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/multiple_ping_tool.html
what exactly do i download on the page its all a bit confusing for me

Ralston18

Titan
New adapters can be faulty.

Did you manually install and configure the drivers for the new wireless adapter?

= = = =

As for the extension cable all you need is a 6 foot (2 meters) USB extension cable that is male on one end and female on the other end.

Plug the wireless nano adapter into the female end of the USB cable and plug the male end of the USB cable into a USB port on the host computer.

Raise the nano adapter up and about getting it away from the computer. You may need to experiment a bit to determine where (if anywhere) that the speeds show improvement.

Aug 4, 2024
New adapters can be faulty.

Did you manually install and configure the drivers for the new wireless adapter?

= = = =

As for the extension cable all you need is a 6 foot (2 meters) USB extension cable that is male on one end and female on the other end.

Plug the wireless nano adapter into the female end of the USB cable and plug the male end of the USB cable into a USB port on the host computer.

Raise the nano adapter up and about getting it away from the computer. You may need to experiment a bit to determine where (if anywhere) that the speeds show improvement.
i went on the tp link website and installed them through the package installer so i think so

Aug 4, 2024
There are links at the bottom of the webpage, either x86 or x64 is OK.

Personally I'll unzip them into a folder like C:\APPS\NETWORK
done that so far and logged into the game and currently running tracert on the source address do i do the same on the destination address too so far a lot of the hops are timing out (i dont understand if any of this is useful) once done do i just copy and paste the results and put them into the second application Ive done the pinginfoview thing and 1 application has failed 3 times the the others failed once and succeeded all other what does this tell me

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2024
IP address or domain name is OK

Node that's not responding is very likely ICMP ping function is disabled or blocked for the node, not necessarily not functional.
what does this tell me like with all the ping information what do i do with it to help remedy the situation

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Actually not much unless you find a node that's particular slow constantly. If it's not under you control, you know...

You can try VPN so it changes the route. But again, it not necessarily will fix the problem.

Aug 4, 2024
Actually not much unless you find a node that's particular slow constantly. If it's not under you control, you know...

You can try VPN so it changes the route. But again, it not necessarily will fix the problem.
any suggestions on VPNs or just go with the regular free ones

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Last edited:
Before you go to all the trouble of messing with a vpn try to find someway to test without wifi in the path.

Maybe a temporary ethernet cable run over the floor or maybe move the pc near the router so you can use a shorter cable to test.

A vpn "might" fix a problem that does not use the same path. All your traffic must pass over the wifi and the ISP connection to you house. A vpn can not fix those and those are 2 most common sources of problem.

It is highly likely it is the wifi. I am not sure if you tried it but a $5 USB extension cable that lets you move the wifi adapter away from the big metal case tends to help those tiny adapters a lot.