Need help, welcome screen freeze/BSOD

tas252

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Hello there, I've recently just started having a problem with my ASUS g50vt laptop.

I was playing minecraft when my computer blue screen'd randomly but right before that happened I think the nvidia display driver stopped working(which happens once every few weeks or so but it recovers after a few seconds).

And now what happens is, as the computer is starting up, it gets stuck on the windows welcome screen and then eventually either goes to the blue screen of death or just doesn't do anything and I have to manually restart.

What I've noticed so far is that it has something to do with my nvidia display driver because I booted into safe mode and uninstalled the driver for it and I was able to boot up just fine in normal boot.

I've tried installing the latest nvidia driver for my card as well as installing the one directly from the asus website specifically for my laptop. I also tried doing a system restore to 2 days before the crash, that didn't help. Asus tech support told me to reformat but I'm not quite ready to do that yet, It's sort of a last resort.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

My graphics card is a nvidia 9800GS 512mb and I am running Windows 7 64-bit

Here's a picture taken from my phone of what my screen looks like when it freezes:

IMAG0230.jpg

tas252

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
just this

"The previous system shutdown at 8:01:10 PM on ‎9/‎30/‎2011 was unexpected."

and this

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly"

where do I check for BSOD errors