Question Need help wiring/making keystone jack :(

Mar 20, 2023
I feel so stupid because I've watched so many tutorials and I still can't get it right. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. Every time I make one and go to test it the only line it recognizes is "1".

I'm attaching some pictures in hopes you might catch whatever it is that I'm doing incorrectly.

Image 1: Side angle of jack (using wiring scheme B)
Image 2: Top down view of wiring (aligns with Image 1)
Image 3: How I've been terminating the wires with punchdown tool (long side of blade away from jack)

oeh4bcGz_o.jpg

zoNkg0mC_o.jpg

2Wls2gHq_o.jpg

Have your tried more than 1 jack. You might have damaged it, you can only remove and reinsert the wires so many times before they wear out.

Most times I recommend people buy the tool less keystones they now sell to avoid buying a punch down tool. When you have a punch down tool it is almost fool proof. Other than using the tool backwards but you will quickly see you cut the wire off rather than punching it into the block.

Not sure the tools are designed to properly insert the wire you almost can't do it wrong. If you get the tool misaligned it will not even trim off the excess wire.

Although it looks fine in your photo be sure you are using solid core wire that is wire size 22-24.

Mar 20, 2023
Have your tried more than 1 jack. You might have damaged it, you can only remove and reinsert the wires so many times before they wear out.

Most times I recommend people buy the tool less keystones they now sell to avoid buying a punch down tool. When you have a punch down tool it is almost fool proof. Other than using the tool backwards but you will quickly see you cut the wire off rather than punching it into the block.

Not sure the tools are designed to properly insert the wire you almost can't do it wrong. If you get the tool misaligned it will not even trim off the excess wire.

Although it looks fine in your photo be sure you are using solid core wire that is wire size 22-24.
Thanks for the encouragement. I did try more than one jack and started from scratch more times than I can count. I have a tool less keystone coming tomorrow - fingers crossed...

Either the cables you're using are not the right guage or the keystone jack you're using is not very good and not cutting into the jacket far enough.

Never had an issue with my 23awg cat6 wire from Southwire at home depot and CAT6 cable matters keystone jacks.