Question Need help with accessing an old HDD

BrianThompson

Commendable
Aug 5, 2022
Hi everyone! I have a quick, very important question that I really need an answer to as quickly as possible. I'll try to be as straightforward as I can.

My old PC died after almost 8 years due to either the motherboard or the PSU failure. HDD is fine, but it's still in the old PC. I bought a new PC and I'd like to transfer some files from my old HDD to my new HDD. I'm not a tech genius or anything, but I know the basics and I'm learning. I don't have the knowledge to unplug the new HDD from my new PC and put in the old one and I think the risk of me messing something up is too great anyway, so I went digging for an alternative solution and I found one that says one is able to unplug the old HDD and plug it into the new PC via USB/SATA or IDE cable and then literally treat the HDD as an external Hard Drive where I could just copy and paste stuff from the old HDD to the new one???

If that's true, I need help with making that happen. My old HDD is a Toshiba P300 high performance hard drive (1 TB, 7200 rpm...). Based on my very limited research and understanding, I need some sort of a SATA or IDE to USB adapter cable and possibly even a power adapter that needs to be plugged into the HDD during this process? How do I know if my Toshiba P300 has a SATA port or an IDE port? Depending on one or the other, what do I need to buy in order to plug it into my new PC as an external Hard Drive? What power adapter? How do I know which one I need? Can anyone please tell me what I need to buy and do in order to plug my old HDD into the new PC so I could access my files? I'd appreciate it very much because it's super important.

it's sata data and sata power
just google for a picture if you wanna have a look. ide is older than the P300 and is a much bigger connector.

usb to 3.5 SATA HDD adapter

personally i would just plug the old hdd into the new pc
eventually while doing this, you might need to switch the boot device in BIOS though

Reactions: BrianThompson

BrianThompson

Commendable
Aug 5, 2022
it's sata data and sata power
just google for a picture if you wanna have a look. ide is older than the P300 and is a much bigger connector.

usb to 3.5 SATA HDD adapter

personally i would just plug the old hdd into the new pc
eventually while doing this, you might need to switch the boot device in BIOS though
Thanks for the info! So it's definitely SATA. So I just need to look for a 3.5 SATA HDD adapter then? I've done a quick search and there's a 2.5 inch as well which I'm guessing wouldn't work.

My recommendation is an independently powered external drive case that uses a USB port to connect to the host PC.

The HDD would be installed into the external case.

Generic example (not a product recommendation or endorsement):

USB HDD Enclosure.

You can find many similar products. Read the User Guide/Manual beforehand.
Thanks! So this independently powered external drive case would work similarly to how an external optical CD/DVD drive works when it comes to reading CDs and DVDs? Do I get everything I need with the Enclosure (like a power adapter and cables to plug?). Based on what helpstar said, I also need to make sure that the USB HDD Enclosure has the 3.5 inch SATA adapter, right?

BrianThompson

Commendable
Aug 5, 2022
I have one similar to this:
ps://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Docking-Station-EC-UBLB/dp/B075GJ3P3B

VERY useful for situations exactly like this.
That's similar to what Ralston18 recommended if I'm not mistaken. Thank you very much, guys! I'll get right on it!