Question Need help with accessing an old HDD

BrianThompson

Commendable
Aug 5, 2022
Hi everyone! I have a quick, very important question that I really need an answer to as quickly as possible. I'll try to be as straightforward as I can.

My old PC died after almost 8 years due to either the motherboard or the PSU failure. HDD is fine, but it's still in the old PC. I bought a new PC and I'd like to transfer some files from my old HDD to my new HDD. I'm not a tech genius or anything, but I know the basics and I'm learning. I don't have the knowledge to unplug the new HDD from my new PC and put in the old one and I think the risk of me messing something up is too great anyway, so I went digging for an alternative solution and I found one that says one is able to unplug the old HDD and plug it into the new PC via USB/SATA or IDE cable and then literally treat the HDD as an external Hard Drive where I could just copy and paste stuff from the old HDD to the new one???

If that's true, I need help with making that happen. My old HDD is a Toshiba P300 high performance hard drive (1 TB, 7200 rpm...). Based on my very limited research and understanding, I need some sort of a SATA or IDE to USB adapter cable and possibly even a power adapter that needs to be plugged into the HDD during this process? How do I know if my Toshiba P300 has a SATA port or an IDE port? Depending on one or the other, what do I need to buy in order to plug it into my new PC as an external Hard Drive? What power adapter? How do I know which one I need? Can anyone please tell me what I need to buy and do in order to plug my old HDD into the new PC so I could access my files? I'd appreciate it very much because it's super important.

it's sata data and sata power
just google for a picture if you wanna have a look. ide is older than the P300 and is a much bigger connector.

usb to 3.5 SATA HDD adapter

personally i would just plug the old hdd into the new pc
eventually while doing this, you might need to switch the boot device in BIOS though