Need help with computer to computer LAN connection speed

deadmask

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
Hi guys.

I'm loooking for some help with my home networking.I have my laptop directly connected to my desktop with an ethernet cable.Both my laptop & desktop ethernet adapter are gigabit adapter.Both OS are Windows 7 Home premium desktop is 32 bit and laptop is 64 bit...
.But I'm getting only 10MB/S speed.I have to transfer 430GB file and It's gonna take forever at that speed.

Is there anyway to speedup the transfer?

Could it be that I'm wrong about the adapter speed.how do I check the speed the adapters are capable of?

deadmask

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
I checked as you said

This the NIC shown in desktop device manager: Intel(R) 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Connection

And this is the laptop card as shown in device manager: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

deadmask

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012

I'v already updated the drivers.I tried setting speed and duplex to "1gbps full duplex" from "Auto Negotiation".But whenever I try to set the desktop adapter to "1gbps full duplex" It loses link..

deadmask

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012

OK Finally solved the problem.It was the Ethernet cable.The old cable was CAT5.E but the connection was only 2 pair. I bought a new 4 pair CAT5.E 2mt patch cable from a local computer store.After connecting it the the adapters set the LAN to 1 Gbps under auto negotiation.

Here's my transfer speed.I think my 7200 rpm seagate is the bottleneck THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP GUYS