[SOLVED] Need Help with CPU Upgrade to Ryzen 5 5600G

Dec 3, 2022
Hi, so I just bought a few parts for a PC upgrade and the one I'm having trouble with is the CPU.

Specs:
GPU: MAXSUN GTX GeForce RTX 3080 10GB
SSD: Western Digital 1TB SA510 2.5" Internal SSD
Motherboard: ASRock B550M Pro4 AM4
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)
Old CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Matisse

Using the old CPU and the PC works fine. Tried updating the BIOS so it's compatible with the new AMD chipset. The website says "To support Ryzen 5000 G-series processors, it requires to update the BIOS with Matisse, Renoir or Vermeer CPU", which the 3600 is. So I updated the BIOS but putting the new CPU in still gives no display and turns the BOOT, VGA, and CPU lights on the motherboard on. Also tried resetting the CMOS battery, with no change to the issues. The original CPU still has no issues. Any guesses or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Solution
Using BIOS version 2.50. I assume since you asked this that means I should be using 1.80, not 2.50, because BIOS versions aren't necessarily forwards compatible (if that makes sense) like I thought they were, and even though 1.80 is compatible with the 5000 series, 2.50 isn't?

BIOS are a funny thing. There is an explicit warning from Asrock: "If the system is working properly, we recommend keeping the current BIOS / firmware. "

You may try 1.80, can't hurt.
Dec 3, 2022
If the BIOS update doesn't fix it, its likely a bad CPU. Did you check for bent pins?

Do you have access to another AM4 platform to test if your CPU would work there?

Also, can you return the 5600g?, that is a poor choice if you have a 3080.
Checked for bent pins, and nothing. Don't have another way of testing to see if the CPU would work somewhere else, and not sure on the returning it. Why would it be a bad choice with a 3080? I'm not super well-versed hardware-wise, but from what I've read it seems like a decent option for a decent price, although I could easily be wrong

larsv8

Distinguished
5600g is what is called an APU which means it has integrated graphics included.

Integrated graphics are primarily used for productivity machines which don't have / need graphics cards at all.

A portion of the APUs resources is reserved to function as a GPU, which robs it of its true performance as a CPU.

You would be better off with a 5600x which is in the same price category, but performs quite a bit better.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: voidandnull
Dec 3, 2022
5600g is what is called an APU which means it has integrated graphics included.

Integrated graphics are primarily used for productivity machines which don't have / need graphics cards at all.

A portion of the APUs resources is reserved to function as a GPU, which robs it of its true performance as a CPU.

You would be better off with a 5600x which is in the same price category, but performs quite a bit better.

Hope this helps.

Definitely a big help, I'll have to look into returning it and trading out for the 5600x. Thanks.

And just to confirm, you are using BIOS version P1.80?

https://www.asrock.com/support/cpu.asp?s=AM4&u=663

Using BIOS version 2.50. I assume since you asked this that means I should be using 1.80, not 2.50, because BIOS versions aren't necessarily forwards compatible (if that makes sense) like I thought they were, and even though 1.80 is compatible with the 5000 series, 2.50 isn't?

larsv8

Distinguished

BIOS are a funny thing. There is an explicit warning from Asrock: "If the system is working properly, we recommend keeping the current BIOS / firmware. "

Reactions: voidandnull
Solution
Dec 3, 2022

Reverting to 1.80 fixed it! Definitely gonna look into switching to the 5600x, but until then this works perfect. Thanks for your help!