Question Need help with diagnosing possible RAM related issues (ran Memtest)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 29, 2023
Hey guys. I'll get straight to the point. (Device: Dell G15 5510, i5, 2 x 8GB RAM, GTX 1650)
I have been getting random crashes and BSODs on my laptop. Most of them indicate memory failure or hypervisor related issues (I use WSL). It works fine for hours and days but then it will randomly either just freeze or blue screen. I just ran memtest (currently running on that device) and on Pass 2, it has returned 821 errors. Currently testing with both cause I wanted to see if RAM was faulty to begin with. (I ran it once a few months ago and upto Pass 3/4 it returned 0 errors. I closed it after a while). Although I will now check the RAMs one by one, I want to know whether a faulty RAM slot could cause this issue. If that is the case, will I have to use the RAM that shows 0 errors (assuming one of two is fine) on both RAM slots to see which one is faulty? The PC works fine for 2-3 days and I face this error so I am not sure if a faulty RAM slot is to blame.

Also, if I am testing a single RAM stick, is there a particular slot I need to use to test it? My friend mentioned something but I don't recall and I can't find the answer online either.

Current errors shown:

8a60d771-f722-4549-80db-7ecc017a7626.png

Jun 29, 2023
You need to buy a new matched set of memory or do a warranty on your current set.

I see its a Dell they might have a limited warranty instead of lifetime on the memory.
Thanks for the response. Is there a reason why a new matched set is needed? Asking since I am planning on testing RAM sticks (and slots) individually as well. I got these two installed when I first bought the laptop. If I am able to find (and swap) a faulty RAM stick, would that be enough?

And yeah Dell and I am not under warranty anymore so I will have to swap a RAM on my own.

BTW, currently on Pass 3 Test 9. No new errors detected so far.

Edit: Also, what is the possibility that this a RAM slot issue and not a RAM stick issue? (Prepping for the worst)

Ram must be matched for proper operation.

The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.

If you are happy working ok for hours, then you do nothing.
But it seems that the ram is failing and should be replaced.
Buy only a single matched kit of supported specs.

I really doubt that a ram slot is defective.

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
If one of the metal DIMM contacts is bent out of shape, the result could be a bad connection, but unless you've been swapping RAM modules in and out dozens of times, the sockets are probably fine.

You might be able to test the machine with only one DIMM, but what would that achieve? If one memory module in a pair has failed, the other module should be regarded as suspect too.

In any case, it's not a good idea to replace just one module out of two with a new part. You won't have a matched pair which could lead to instability.

nCore

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2014
Hi There,
i was about to open a new thread but since this one is similar to mine, ill ask here:
I started getting BSOD every now and then when im gaming. (it does not happen when im not playing games)
Anyway i run memtest and got 300 ish erros on test 4 and 5, does this mean that they are faulty?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Hi There,
i was about to open a new thread but since this one is similar to mine, ill ask here:
I started getting BSOD every now and then when im gaming. (it does not happen when im not playing games)
Anyway i run memtest and got 300 ish erros on test 4 and 5, does this mean that they are faulty?
Unlike other forums, we actually prefer if you create your own thread as, typically, no two problems are identical. So yes. Please start a new thread.

Closing thread.
Wolfshadw

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS