[SOLVED] Need help with finding out which part is faulty

Oct 31, 2021
Hello, two days ago I was watching some YouTube on my PC when suddenly the monitor went black saying no signal detected while sound was still working. After a while, sound got stuck and the display came back to a blue screen of death mentioning the file amdkmdag.sys

Afterwards it restarted and worked properly for like half an hour before doing the same thing and then it didn't work anymore: I would hear the PC running and the CPU fan was working but that's it. As soon as I'd power on the PC, the monitor would say no signal detected straight up.

I opened the case to unplug and plug stuff back in, hoping it'd work. Somehow, probably due to being in a rush since an online friend was waiting for me, I accidentally managed to put the ram sticks with the wrong side and when I booted the PC I think they shortcircuited because it started smelling like burnt. I turned it off asap and took a look at them but there's nothing visible on them.

Now I'm wondering if it's possible that only the ram sticks need to be replaced or the whole motherboard, possibly CPU too. After the problem with the ram sticks, the PC still starts but again no signal. CPU fan works, CD/DVD-writer works (tried inserting a Windows disk), but the HDD LEDs and USB ports don't work anymore (when I'd boot up the PC my mouse would light up, now it doesn't anymore).

I tried using the integrated graphics too but still nothing. Any idea how bad this could be? Thanks.

Solution
Sadly I can't test parts on another build, also if it was the PSU would the PC still start? Monitor doesn't receive anything but certain parts such as the CPU fan and CD/DVD-R get power
Was more of the thought that the motherboard will have issues looking at what is working and what not and since you turned the pc off and the psu didn't react with a safety measure might it well be fine.
Full system specs?

After a while, sound got stuck and the display came back to a blue screen of death mentioning the file amdkmdag.sys
Most people panic if they see a BSOD. BSODs do not cause hardware damage, they are however indicative of a problem in your system which includes hardware problems.

Someone had the solution to the same problem you're experiencing
I am presuming you're using an AMD GPU.
TLDR of it is use DDU to uninstall your current GPU drivers (which is presumably AMD) and then install a previous version of 20.4.2

I opened the case to unplug and plug stuff back in, hoping it'd work. Somehow, probably due to being in a rush since an online friend was waiting for me, I accidentally managed to put the ram sticks with the wrong side and when I booted the PC I think they shortcircuited because it started smelling like burnt. I turned it off asap and took a look at them but there's nothing visible on them.

Yes this is very characteristic of short circuit damage. It's hard to tell by the naked eye. You can only test your components if they electrically work by connecting them and power it up.
I am wondering how you are able to install the ram "with the wrong side" as you described.

ZBt7Fzo.jpg

Usually RAM has a notch on along its pins to prevent it from being installed in the wrong way.
The only guess I can make is you installed the RAM loosely without latching it with the clip locks on the sides of the DIMM Slot and then somehow that RAM touched the motherboard and fried everything.

Now I'm wondering if it's possible that only the ram sticks need to be replaced or the whole motherboard, possibly CPU too. After the problem with the ram sticks, the PC still starts but again no signal.

Anything is possible with electrical damage. Worst case scenario is you may need to replace everything.
Take your time always when handling with PC components, don't be rushed or pressured.

Reactions: DanielMarian

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
You smelled something burned so that is certainly not good. In that case could it be anything, but suspect mostly motherboard or psu. Can only hope for you that it would stay with one part, but as said above it might be all that is fried.
Do you have the possibility of testing parts in a friends build? If one has the same socket in use, like AM4 or Intel 1151 (or one of the others)

Your initial problem was a software issue.
Likely a corrupted amd graphics driver.

Then the problem was compounded by damaging ram.
You need to fix the ram issue first.

In your motherboard manual, it will indicate which ram slot is to be populated when you have only one ram stick.
Take what you think is the good stick and insert only that in the designated slot.
If you can get into the bios,
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Then try the other stick.
Lastly test both together if they check out individually.

Ram is notched. It fits ONLY one way.
You need to carefully position ram so the tab and the slot matches.
Push down evenly on both ends to seat the ram.
It may seem to take some force.

Ram usually has a lifetime warranty.
You might be able to get a RMA replacement.
The RMA will need to include both sticks.
Some ram vendors will do a cross shipment where you buy the replacement and get a credit when the defective ram is returned.

Oct 31, 2021
You smelled something burned so that is certainly not good. In that case could it be anything, but suspect mostly motherboard or psu. Can only hope for you that it would stay with one part, but as said above it might be all that is fried.
Do you have the possibility of testing parts in a friends build? If one has the same socket in use, like AM4 or Intel 1151 (or one of the others)
Sadly I can't test parts on another build, also if it was the PSU would the PC still start? Monitor doesn't receive anything but certain parts such as the CPU fan and CD/DVD-R get power

Oct 31, 2021
Your initial problem was a software issue.
Likely a corrupted amd graphics driver.

Then the problem was compounded by damaging ram.
You need to fix the ram issue first.

In your motherboard manual, it will indicate which ram slot is to be populated when you have only one ram stick.
Take what you think is the good stick and insert only that in the designated slot.
If you can get into the bios,
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Then try the other stick.
Lastly test both together if they check out individually.

Ram is notched. It fits ONLY one way.
You need to carefully position ram so the tab and the slot matches.
Push down evenly on both ends to seat the ram.
It may seem to take some force.

Ram usually has a lifetime warranty.
You might be able to get a RMA replacement.
The RMA will need to include both sticks.
Some ram vendors will do a cross shipment where you buy the replacement and get a credit when the defective ram is returned.
USB slots don't get power anymore so I can't get into BIOS because I can't use a keyboard

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Was more of the thought that the motherboard will have issues looking at what is working and what not and since you turned the pc off and the psu didn't react with a safety measure might it well be fine.

Solution