[SOLVED] Need help with Memory choice!

andyb313

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
So 1 of my memory chips is broken and being that i use all 32GB ram in video editing i thought i may as well upgrade to 64GB but i am so confused about what set to buy!

Currently i am using 4 x G.SKILL F4-3200C16D-16GTZR Trident Z RGB Series 32 GB (8 GB x 4) DDR4 3200 MHz PC4-25600 CL16

My cpu is Ryzen 3900X and using an Asus b350-f mobo.

Looking at ram im seeing so may different prices and apparently i cannot run 4 sticks at 3200Mhz anyway?

Basically im looking for the best memory sticks to pick for 64gb weather thats 2x32GB or 4x16GB

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Ryzen is very much tied to ram and is picky about what will work.
My best advice is to pick a kit from the ram QVL list for your motherboard and processor.
I think this is the list:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...ROG-STRIX-B350-F-GAMING_Memory_QVL_180125.pdf
On the list, I see the max speed for a 64gb configuration is 3000 speed.

If you find a kit you like that is not on the list, go to the ram vendor's selection app and see if it is supported for your motherboard.
The 3000 series chips are called matisse and support depends on the processor as well as the motherboard.

Lutfij

Titan
You should stick to DDR4-3200MHz (or lower if you want to max out on the ram slots) and not higher since the board may or may not go to higher ram frequencies. I'd first make sure you're on the latest BIOS update and then invest in the ram kit you've linked above. What sort of a budget are you working with? In case we need to suggest ram kits for you, we'll also need your location and your preferred site for purchase.

andyb313

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
You should stick to DDR4-3200MHz (or lower if you want to max out on the ram slots) and not higher since the board may or may not go to higher ram frequencies. I'd first make sure you're on the latest BIOS update and then invest in the ram kit you've linked above. What sort of a budget are you working with? In case we need to suggest ram kits for you, we'll also need your location and your preferred site for purchase.
I'm in the UK, the ram kit i've linked above is the ram i currently have.

I'm after an upgrade to 64GB but will unfortunately have to buy 4 new sticks to do so. I get confused with all the timings etc, so is there a 64GB version of these? i get confused as some are cheap then some are very expensive

Ryzen is very much tied to ram and is picky about what will work.
My best advice is to pick a kit from the ram QVL list for your motherboard and processor.
I think this is the list:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...ROG-STRIX-B350-F-GAMING_Memory_QVL_180125.pdf
On the list, I see the max speed for a 64gb configuration is 3000 speed.

If you find a kit you like that is not on the list, go to the ram vendor's selection app and see if it is supported for your motherboard.
The 3000 series chips are called matisse and support depends on the processor as well as the motherboard.

Solution
So 1 of my memory chips is broken and being that i use all 32GB ram in video editing i thought i may as well upgrade to 64GB but i am so confused about what set to buy!

Currently i am using 4 x G.SKILL F4-3200C16D-16GTZR Trident Z RGB Series 32 GB (8 GB x 4) DDR4 3200 MHz PC4-25600 CL16

My cpu is Ryzen 3900X and using an Asus b350-f mobo.

Looking at ram im seeing so may different prices and apparently i cannot run 4 sticks at 3200Mhz anyway?

Basically im looking for the best memory sticks to pick for 64gb weather thats 2x32GB or 4x16GB

Thanks in advance!
An option.
https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/asus/rog-strix-b350-f-gaming

Read the notes.
In the ram section filter by kit quantity......4