Question Need help with no display on old Apple monitor.

MajorPager

Prominent
Aug 8, 2023
Hello all, I'm back after obtaining an Apple II GS for a deal of a lifetime! $2. What a nice garage sale find am I right?
AGV_vUf1NoOLtRAXOiYtl-8YrDNvxjxdNAdYmzfyMD_jlVE2uuB1EqJ_xHakET7tbBRy0Np4qqJUeyc5xeaQ1x2hAebqgsMAUYaATDkFoTaFVYMYrb0oG9eDKKU49Ris04Xq4ekp7DctduRSCoNTxwlpbMf5qq4PSlc=nw

Gave it a good deep clean and it looks good as new!

AGV_vUeAtJsY_iilAcERBkd9p1gQQ7o0OgGKGsuqwWk_EqsUyJ2db5-vjAR4Fh6cS_XwH7QCbYp4C9c4kM-Hvj1rG7zsh2QrDujlXm4UHFMcOce_D_KtkhcLClNYHWeI95Og6erPPIia-Q6oHILOlQ-lGSvnEWJBe4s=nw

Here is the model of the monitor. I turned the unit on, which everything works, except the screen doesn't display anything. Opened the case and noticed some rust on some of the solder joints, could it be shorting out? Could it be a bad video cable? I thought the tube was bad as literally nothing pops up on screen, not even any brightness, so if possible how would I get the old tube out?

AGV_vUcuO7NAR33Ft65FdJYvTbiGznEyJ0Qv1idTZnPbXkVAq5VaQ-08X7x8q68cu8FvCsNau2cVHDpeQLASzWyHXf1Jyt8WfBhwQIrLtb57ofPUdhUShwcEVLAdvivlEcCfolTfiGMuTsegs_8PEiteyJ-qjHOKAR4=nw

Also wondering if a little corrosion here does anything bad, didn't notice anything when I tested the unit, but you never know.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Three thoughts:

1) If a bad video cable that can be checked by using a known working video cable - if that cable can even be found.

2) If corrosion that can be easily (?) repaired by carefully removing visible corrosion and damage - maybe..... Unfortunately I cannot quantify "carefully".

3) If the tube is bad, no way to know, then getting it out is both problematic and likely hazardous, Even if the tube is sucessfully removed finding a replacement tube becomes the next challenge.

How much more, if beyond $2.00, are you willing to spend and risk?

Think of it as a lottery ticket. But the payoff may be in Monopoly money.....

MajorPager

Prominent
Aug 8, 2023
How much more, if beyond $2.00, are you willing to spend and risk?

Think of it as a lottery ticket. But the payoff may be in Monopoly money.....
Yeah, It'll probably sit as a decorative piece for a while, I would move some 5.25 games over to 3.5 and use the RCA jack to display to my TV but the 3.5 drive I got with it doesn't seek.

Rarity and money are both equally a problem, as ebay is a very expensive place and finding the right thing is not always possible. Its mostly a waiting game, you just have to wait for a good opportunity to arise, in which I will wait.

I've expended all I can do for now, I searched through all my cables and adapters with no luck. I may have found a monitor I might get, still searching for other components though. As for the corrosion and rust, I guess it should be fine, as long as it doesn't get any worse.