Question Need help with noisecancelling headphones.

EvilHamster

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2012
Hi all,

Forward (Reason/Motivation)
I am not much familiar with headphones and audio technologie in general. I enjoy nice audio quality, of course, but generally do not go out of my way to achieve this. But what I love, even need, is quiet.

This is why I am writing/asking now. My neighbourhood is getting louder and louder, both outside (public park) and inside (flat below mine). I am trying my best to remain civil here, though the same can not be said about my neighbours, so I will say no more.

I was hoping that a nice pair of headphones might at least alliviate this.

Criteria (What I want/need)
I was hoping for some tipps, if not outright recommendations.

My number 1 priority is quiet. As close to 100% as possible, especially in the "bass" range, including the basketball bouncing noise.

The audio quality itself is negligable, even battery life is not that immportant, so long as it can last a few hours, as I need it for home only. Frankly, even if it used a cable I would be all right.

I was considering the Bose NC 700 Hp or the Sennheiser MB 660 ANC, but they are rather expensive.
Anything decently cheap that will still filter noise as much as humanly possible? I do not care about brands, and will take a noone one, if it can reliably filter out noise.

I do not care about it having alexa or any such support. So long as it works on Linux, I am fine.
Generally, even knowing what to look for (if there is anything specific) would be helpful.

Thanks all.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi all,

Forward (Reason/Motivation)
I am not much familiar with headphones and audio technologie in general. I enjoy nice audio quality, of course, but generally do not go out of my way to achieve this. But what I love, even need, is quiet.

This is why I am writing/asking now. My neighbourhood is getting louder and louder, both outside (public park) and inside (flat below mine). I am trying my best to remain civil here, though the same can not be said about my neighbours, so I will say no more.

I was hoping that a nice pair of headphones might at least alliviate this.

Criteria (What I want/need)
I was hoping for some tipps, if not outright recommendations.

My number 1 priority is quiet. As close to 100% as possible, especially in the "bass" range, including the basketball bouncing noise.

The audio quality itself is negligable, even battery life is not that immportant, so long as it can last a few hours, as I need it for home only. Frankly, even if it used a cable I would be all right.

I was considering the Bose NC 700 Hp or the Sennheiser MB 660 ANC, but they are rather expensive.
Anything decently cheap that will still filter noise as much as humanly possible? I do not care about brands, and will take a noone one, if it can reliably filter out noise.

I do not care about it having alexa or any such support. So long as it works on Linux, I am fine.
Generally, even knowing what to look for (if there is anything specific) would be helpful.

Thanks all.
Noise CANCELLING may not be the best choice, IMO. They are great for constant noise like a jet flight. Not so much for music or other types of noise. I would recommend noise ISOLATION headphones. These are the type used by DJs. Search for DJ headphones.

Reactions: EvilHamster
D

Deleted member 14196

I have a pair of Bluetooth noise reduction, headphones, and they are just OK but the noise reduction is almost nil and I don’t use it because it’s not worth it

They are decent quality for audio though, and I do enjoy using them for music

EvilHamster

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2012
Noise CANCELLING may not be the best choice, IMO. They are great for constant noise like a jet flight. Not so much for music or other types of noise. I would recommend noise ISOLATION headphones. These are the type used by DJs. Search for DJ headphones.
That is a hot-tipp right there. Thanks. I will chekc them out.

Jun 18, 2023
Just to give you an alternative. I have similar problems from noisy neighbours(banging) and construction work around me(hammer drilling).

I've been using Sony's WH-1000XM3 headphones and they work brilliantly. But they are quite expensive.
But Sony offer a cheaper version with the same tech but not same quality of build, the Sony WC-720N.

(My headphones work well with a Walkman or wired to my PC, and have just found just found long range audio adapter for PC, Avantree DG60).