Need help with power supply

aaaaalvin

Prominent
Jan 19, 2018
Hello guys I need help.
I had i9 cpu 4.6ghz auto voltage and 1080ti. Corsair hx1000i powersupply. And running cinbench r15 fine. Try to oc to 4.7ghz but it exceed limit. So I just got ax1600i. But it can’t even hit 4.5ghz. When I run cinbench it will shut down my computer right away. I haven’t change any setting just switch the power supply. Anybody know what’s going on

Solution
An HX1000i vs an AX1600i should make absolutely no difference to the performance of that system, unless you're throwing crazy voltage at the chip - assuming both are fully functional and not defective.
The "answer" was definitely not to run out and buy a $400+ PSU.

So, just to be clear... with the HX1000i, you could hit 4.6GHz successfully in Cinebench R15? But with the AX1600i, you cannot?

You may be tripped over-volt protection on either (likely) the motherboard or (unlikely) the PSU.
You've left your voltage on Auto? That may well be the problem. What kind of numbers are you hitting there?

Looks like ~1.2V is where you'd need to be for stability in the 4.5-4.6GHz range, and that can run you >600W of power draw on...

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
MERGED QUESTION
Question from aaaaalvin : "Need help with corsair ax1600i power supply"

aaaaalvin

Prominent
Jan 19, 2018
My spe
Cpu. i9 7980xe 4.6ghz
Cooling. corsair 115i
Gpu. Gtx 1080ti light x
Mb. Asus rampage extreme iv
ram。32gb 3600ghz gskill
Ssd . Intel dc4601
Power supply. Corsair ax1600i

Previous I had use hx1000 I=38c gaming=50-68c。benchmark= 85+

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Clean OS install? Clean GPU driver install?

What are those temps? CPU/GPU? Both? Do you have an accurate upper end? 85+% leaves a huge window....
TJunction on a 7980XE is 94'C, so you may well be shutting down due to temps...... Try settings you 115i fan speed to 100%, any change? Trying to keep a low(ish) fan curve/speed on a 7980XE would likely be problematic.

aaaaalvin

Prominent
Jan 19, 2018
The problem is how come when I use hx1000i for cinbenchr15 it successfully pass。it got shut down because exceed power limit. Because I was oc both cpu and gpu. So I end up getting new corsair ax1600i. But it can’t pass cinbench on 4.6ghz. And that’s 600 more watt. I didn’t change any setting or bio. What I did is just switch power supply

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
An HX1000i vs an AX1600i should make absolutely no difference to the performance of that system, unless you're throwing crazy voltage at the chip - assuming both are fully functional and not defective.
The "answer" was definitely not to run out and buy a $400+ PSU.

So, just to be clear... with the HX1000i, you could hit 4.6GHz successfully in Cinebench R15? But with the AX1600i, you cannot?

You may be tripped over-volt protection on either (likely) the motherboard or (unlikely) the PSU.
You've left your voltage on Auto? That may well be the problem. What kind of numbers are you hitting there?

Looks like ~1.2V is where you'd need to be for stability in the 4.5-4.6GHz range, and that can run you >600W of power draw on the chip.

If you're letting that go Auto, it may well be spiking to crazy voltages (1.35V resulted in a near 850W load draw with LegitReviews)

Solution

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Exactly. Although, it depends what kind of spikes you're seeing. If the board is keeping things reasonable, then it may not be the issue - although manual voltage tuning is highly recommended anwyay.

You should be able to be around ~1.2V for the clock speeds you have currently.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Seriously doubt that either of the psu is the issue. Many times drastic changes to OC can cause failures that later will settle down, so if you slowly stepped up to 4.6 you could be perfectly stable, but an instant bump to 4.5 would cause shutdowns.

My guess would be autovoltage + adaptive voltage + turbo is driving high vcore and since no other settings have been changed you are exceeding the bios set current limits. Might want to check the bios and give the current limit a bump to 120%, disable stuff like cpu/gpu phase control, any and all Eco/power saving settings such as c-states. Set long/short turbo current to 255 etc.

TRENDING THREADS