Question Need help with RAM and BIOS

Jun 8, 2023
Hi, I have been running Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO ram at 3600mhz (16gb) for just under a year now with no problems, and I recently decided that it's time to upgrade to 32gb of ram, so I ended up ordering 2 more sticks of the same Corsair Vengeance ram so I would have 4 sticks of 8gb ram in my computer. I went to install the ram sticks as usual, went into BIOS. I changed the ram speed to 3600mhz, saved and exited the BIOS. Booted up my PC and checked task manager to see what my ram speed is at and it said 2133mhz, it seems like my BIOS settings changes didn't save.

I made a reddit post explaining my issue and found out that I won't be able to use the new ram sticks with my old ram sticks as the ram sticks that I have just bought are a newer version of ram (Version 8.31) my old ram sticks are Version 3.31. I was obviously bummed out that I won't be able to use my new ram but I went ahead and ordered an extra 2 sticks so I will have 4 ram sticks which are hopefully the newer version (Version 8.31) I went ahead and turned my pc off and took out my new ram sticks so I would have my old ram sticks in my computer, went into BIOS and changed it to 3600mhz expecting everything to be fine. I went ahead and turned my pc back on and then my computer froze on my motherboard splash screen for about 5 seconds and then pulled a screen saying "System failed to boot several times before" View: https://imgur.com/a/S07lX0G

I thought this was weird but I let the timer count down which sent me to my login screen. I logged in and checked if my ram speed is at 3600mhz on task manager, which it wasn't. I have had this issue since yesterday but I have found out that I just can't set my ram speed to 3600mhz anymore, I currently have it set at 3466mhz but every time attempt to change my ram speed back to 3600mhz like I have in the past with no problems, I get the error saying "System failed to boot several times before" error.

Does anyone know a fix?
(Also sorry for the long paragraphs, I have spent so long trying to fix this yesterday and I'm still frustrated about it)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
System specs?

Instead of beating around the bush trying to get these four mixed ram modules working can you return the two sets you bought and go for a kit of 2x 16gb instead?

Ram are sold in kits (pair or quads) for a reason, this keeps manufacturing process (materials and binning) as close as possible when made and then tested for compatibility. Buying ram separately is always a gamble and this info is well spread across the internet so it's a shame you didn't see advice of this nature sooner before purchasing. Nevermind.

Ryzen is quite sensitive to memory differences and depending on generation, populating all dimms can be problematic too. Intel isn't as fussed but chances of incompatibilities between memory is still a chance and it is so with DDR4 ram. DDR3 wasn't as sensitive and could take a win mixing ram more often.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Jun 8, 2023
System specs?

Instead of beating around the bush trying to get these four mixed ram modules working can you return the two sets you bought and go for a kit of 2x 16gb instead?

Ram are sold in kits (pair or quads) for a reason, this keeps manufacturing process (materials and binning) as close as possible when made and then tested for compatibility. Buying ram separately is always a gamble and this info is well spread across the internet so it's a shame you didn't see advice of this nature sooner before purchasing. Nevermind.

Ryzen is quite sensitive to memory differences and depending on generation, populating all dimms can be problematic too. Intel isn't as fussed but chances of incompatibilities between memory is still a chance and it is so with DDR4 ram. DDR3 wasn't as sensitive and could take a win mixing ram more often.
To clear things up, I only bought one pair of ram, (two sticks) I have had Corsair ram in my pc for a year now